Naza fly away

ronang

I had this happened to me twice in 10 flights.

The two flights started off with GPS lock and green led flashing. I start to move forward into transition and suddenly my quad tilts to one side and flys off a little backwards. On the second flight, I activated RTL and can see the orange led blinking by my quad plows to the ground.

Could it be caused by my plugging in the power to the quad whilst the gps switch on the transmitter was on? I confirmed the the gps home position was locked when I took off by switching the IOC switch a few times and saw the green led blink rapidly.

Anyone with similar experiences and solutions?

Tahoe Ed

I am not sure about having the mode switch in GPS would cause your problem. I always power up in manual and after the red flashes go out, I switch mode either to ATTI or GPS. I have never had what you describe happen with a Naza. I would try my start up procedure and see if that helps. If not, I would reload everything first setting the gains to default and then starting over.

ronang

I am uploading the new firmware tonight and setting the Naza up again from scratch. We'll see tomorrow morning if it is still there.

kloner

Aerial DP
so a true flyaway would be a naza that the failsafe isn't set and looses rc control signal. A lockover would be a naza that has too many vibes or bad mounting and would cause it to push itself off center in a direction of the frequency of the vibes choice. That is the only two scenarios i can think of that makes it "fly away"

When you built your rig and setup naza, did you try turning off the radio while assistant is hooked up to see the reaction to the naza? is failsafe lighting up and is the throttle over 10%?

Does any of the bottom three control bars move when you shut it off? ail, ele, rud

Did you do a range check to see if it works at all? like back to bsics, read the radios manual on how to do so. I put mine in manual, set the radio down in low power mode and walk away, your looking for the light to go from nothing to rapid flashing ant a certain distance according to the radios manual.

if that checks out, i'd put it in manual, hold the craft and fire it up, feel around for vibrations in the motor area? looking for one worse than the others, but since it's crashing, any vibe you feel is too much most likely at this point. I'll get mine so you can't feel a thing and the camera still shows jello. Any vibe is too much. the motor bells and prop shafts get bent crashing. if theres a scratch or a crash left a mark, it is most likely a bad part now. Crashing is more than a prop swap 99% of the time

ronang

RTL was activated and tested two flight before the crash. I checked the radio settings went I got home today and found everything looking normal except that the aileron slider was slightly to the left and black.

Anyway, I did activate RTL when I took off my goggles but the disco did not go into the RTL routine. I fear that the compass didn't initialise properly. I have uploaded a clip of the crash on YouTube. I'll link it once it becomes available.

ronang

Here it is.

Fly away about 0:17 sec activate RTL at about 0:22 then crash.

My motors and props are pretty well balanced as you can see in the jello free video.

Last edited by a moderator:

ronang

Two flights this morning with the new firmware. The GPS hold is even better with the IMU calibration. My NAZA needed it when I click the test. So far so good.

kloner

Aerial DP
that is the lockover bit............. dam sucks. It looked like it was setup decent. no crazy vibes

The lockover bit, i still never figured it out, but i'm pretty sure it has something to do with a certain gain setting, i think as in too high a number. I used to have that happen alot, at least once a day when was flying but i usually got it back. same weird left deal too, just like yours
2:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsXe5HxJyWA

Were you flying in gps mode? was the tracking off to the left something you were doing on purpose or haven't adjusted the gps to fly straight yet? they all have to be twisted to the best of my knowledge

Bison52

Kloner. I think it has to do with gain settings being too high also. Experimenting and recently set gains at 240. No twitches in calm air so I thought they were okay at that setting. But today in very calm air, I flew a little more aggressively than normal and experienced a loss of control exactly like described in this post. I've never had this problem before and am sure it is associated with higher gains.

ronang

Yes I was in GPS mode. My gains are 110, 105, 100, 120

I was trying to fly off to the left when it started, I live on the Equator and declination here is only 0deg 14 min. So the GPS faces straight ahead.

May try to lower the attitude gains a little just in case.

FerdinandK

@ronang
I would suggest a recalibration of the compass, if that is not helping, I would suggest to place a 5cm (in diameter) CFK-plate directly underneath the GPS sensor (or you try a higher mast). I had the same problems on two of my copters. With the CFK-plate unterneath the problems were gone:

sky4.jpg

best regards Ferdinand

kloner

Aerial DP
the 150-150 atti is extremely high

I had my manual gains on a dial this weekend and in gps mode got myself in this again. I'll try to find the footage

kloner

Aerial DP
my ele/ail gains at full dial were like 190, rest of manual settings are hard set to 130 and the atti gains 90

Last edited by a moderator: