F-550 Naza + GPS Rapid Uncontrolled Ascent

b0nafide

My Flight modes are programmed correctly in the Assistant. The LED has confirmed each of the flight modes when I operate it.

Yes, when I finished calibrating I finished with the arrow in the middle (green).

Okay... Let's review:

Manual mode: Everything works as it should
This indicates that everything is proper with my mixes and calibration. No concerns.

Attitude: After 55% Throttle - The motors ramp up to 100%. If I move the sticks between 100% and 60% there is no change in speed. They are maxed out. The LED does not indicate a failsafe.

GPS: After 55% Throttle - The motors ramp up to 100%. If I move the sticks between 100% and 60% there is no change in speed. They are maxed out. The LED does not indicate a failsafe.

I've checked and rechecked my mixes. There is no difference in my Mix between ID0, ID1 or ID2 (my three way switch) except the value of the mix used to change between the three different flight modes. There is no curves active and no trim active.

I've tried the default gains and the ones suggested above... same same.

I've tried this now with the GPS tower hooked up and without.

While it makes perfect sense that my remote could be at fault because it works in manual and there is no difference between the mixes between manual mode, atti or gps except the value... I'm starting to wonder if the Naza isn't working correctly?

Tom S

The naza assistant has a very good tool to show you how the unit is functioning. Go to the IMU calibration page in the tool menu. Check the numbers and see if you need to run the calibration.

-Tom

b0nafide

The numbers in the IMU are within range... so much so that it doesn't give me the option to Calibrate.

Well I flashed my 9XR tonight to the latest er9x and that didn't solve the problem.

I'm getting a tad bit frustrated here.

Last edited by a moderator:

b0nafide

I sent the Naza back to my dealer for exchange. Hopefully there is a problem with it and ill be able to fly soon.

b0nafide

Hey Guys,

I'm happy to report that my Naza was in fact defective. It had a "Bad Z Gyro." So I'm not crazy after all!

Problem solved.

Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions everyone. Appreciate the help!

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Interesting..... that was a lot of troubleshooting but glad you found a solution...... obviously that "z" gyro comes in handy for all three modes, i.e., manual, attitude and GPS!!!!

Hey Guys,

I'm happy to report that my Naza was in fact defective. It had a "Bad Z Gyro." So I'm not crazy after all!

Problem solved.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Hey Guys,

Problem solved.

I don't recall you saying it had any weird flashing indicators to show there was an issue with the unit. Maybe it does not monitor the "Z Gyro".... You would think it should show a fault. Fast turn around too... good job.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Wonder if the garage incident had anything to do with the "defective" gyro? I did the same though and mine still flys although the joystick trims tend to drift between each flight.

"Flight one:
In my garage (15 ft ceilings)...Attitude mode... I attempted to get it to hover but once I began to hover the Hexa shot up to the ceiling and crashed down. ****ty deal - my bad. Probably shouldn't even try to fly it in an enclosed space. "

Hey Guys,

Problem solved.

b0nafide

Deanout: Nope there was no flashing.. no indication otherwise of the bad gyro... When I went into the IMU calibration there was no wacky numbers.

Wonder if the garage incident had anything to do with the "defective" gyro? I did the same though and mine still flys although the joystick trims tend to drift between each flight.

No... the garage incident was the first demonstration of the rapid uncontrolled ascent behaviour. I know I went slow on the throttle raising it up but it didn't matter because it shot up once it lifted off the ground just like it did outside.

But hey... thanks for trying to throw me under the bus...:nevreness:

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Oops..... but I think you were already on the bus when it left!
On one of my very first flights, mine hit the ceiling in the garage simply because i switched it from attitude mode to manual mode and was not prepared for the sudden increased rate of climb. It was not until later that I first started to notice the MR joystick calibration seemed to drift. So now it is not possible to diagnose if there is a connection between these two situations. But in any case is it really possible for a semiconductor gyro and/or accelerometer to shift calibration or fail due to a hard fall?

Deanout: Nope there was no flashing.. no indication otherwise of the bad gyro... When I went into the IMU calibration there was no wacky numbers.

No... the garage incident was the first demonstration of the rapid uncontrolled ascent behaviour. I know I went slow on the throttle raising it up but it didn't matter because it shot up once it lifted off the ground just like it did outside.

But hey... thanks for trying to throw me under the bus...:nevreness:

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Typically with the Naza when you have uncontrolled descents it's because you have not put black electrical tape on the sides of the Naza. This is a known bug with the Naza and if you don't do this it will continue to happen. I don't know exactly what causes it but from what I understand it's caused by the barometer inside the unit getting false reading from light/heat penetrating the sides and is especially prevalent when the unit is facing The Sun but mine also did it indoors so as good measure, go ahead and do this if you haven't already. When I put the tape on, ALL of my Naza issues instantly disappeared. Hope that helps, if not then please let us know what it was/is. Thanks!

hjls3

Hey Guys,

Problem solved.

Bonafide - did your dealer let you know how he determined that? Was it your trials he saw or was there something specific he did to test for that gyro. None the less - awesome and let us know how your replacement performs.

Helloman - I am guessing you did not read this thread.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Bonafide - did your dealer let you know how he determined that? Was it your trials he saw or was there something specific he did to test for that gyro. None the less - awesome and let us know how your replacement performs.

Helloman - I am guessing you did not read this thread.

I saw the main post and there was nothing below it so I replied, when I came back there were pages. No idea what that is about but that's what happened. Glad the problem is fixed, I'd also like to know how it was determined and if there's a test for that etc. Let us know....

Soatraightup

I am running into the EXACT same thing right now too! I am new to all of this too, but everything is the same with my F550 even the ESC burning out. I was going to take the hex back to the hobby shop & have them remove the demon from my controller!! Now how do I know if my electric motor is wrecked or if it was just the ESC? It gave me an alarm with a red flashing light when I went to plug it back in & I plugged it in twice & the ESC almost caught on fire! Thoughts on this guys & I feel when I am flying my unit I have about 10% control over it as mentioned previously in this post with the throttle at 50% it seems to go into nitro mode, My Naza hooped too?

b0nafide

Hey Guys,

No my dealer didn't let me know how he performed the tests to determine that the Z Gyro was all messed up.

They sent me a new Naza which I've flown successfully after a little bit of troubleshooting.

Soatraightup: if your Naza rapidly ascends all by itself after 50% throttle (and doesn't stop ascending) then I would say there is something wrong with the flight controller. However, if it bounces up and down then change out your props to new ones (preferably balanced).

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I am running into the EXACT same thing right now too! I am new to all of this too, but everything is the same with my F550 even the ESC burning out. I was going to take the hex back to the hobby shop & have them remove the demon from my controller!! Now how do I know if my electric motor is wrecked or if it was just the ESC? It gave me an alarm with a red flashing light when I went to plug it back in & I plugged it in twice & the ESC almost caught on fire! Thoughts on this guys & I feel when I am flying my unit I have about 10% control over it as mentioned previously in this post with the throttle at 50% it seems to go into nitro mode, My Naza hooped too?

Sounds like you have all kinds of things going on. Why did you ESC get hot? Did you put this kit together or any part of it, if so, which parts? Did you put black tape on the sides of the Naza controller? If not, go do that now. A known bug in the Naza is that if you don't tape up the sides of it and sunlight hits it then it can throw off the internal barometer and cause your model to go up and down or either one uncontrollably, myself and many others have been through that as well. What was the alarm? Look up the number of flashes in the Naza manual and see what it's trying to tell you. One of the Naza alarms that causes a constant and rapid red light to blink is the "low battery" alarm which is set by you in the programming section when you hook up your USB cable to your computer. If you are using a battery, let's say 12VDC and your alarm is set to 14VDC then it'll act sluggish and also flash the red light the whole time. You may need to tune your Naza controller, what are your settings? Mine are 165, 165, 168, 170 and 165, 165... Answer these questions carefully, don't miss any and I'll be happy to help you out.