MultiWii / NAZE / SP Racing F3 EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED with the Multiwii Pro w/GPS

installed the multiwii pro w/gps on my hexacopter the other day, spent hours on the net gathering info on Arduino and and the WinGui and which firmware to use and what to change in the config.h tab, but still cant seem to get this bird to fly, completely unstable to even try and take off, keeps crashing, like the GPS isn't working or gains are off or something, i am thinking i need to just clear the slate and start over.

can anyone help me with the best route to start with? what firmware to download?

what version of WinGui works best? i'm using 2.1 at the moment

my setup is as follows:

F03813 Platypus x800 CF frame (800mm)
Multistar 45amp sbec esc's
Multistar 320kv outrunner motors
Multiwii Pro w/gps (atmega2560)
Devention Devo 12s radio and 1202 reciever
currently running MaxAmps 8000mah 5s lipo
and 13" CF props

FlyGirl

installed the multiwii pro w/gps on my hexacopter the other day, spent hours on the net gathering info on Arduino and and the WinGui and which firmware to use and what to change in the config.h tab, but still cant seem to get this bird to fly, completely unstable to even try and take off, keeps crashing, like the GPS isn't working or gains are off or something, i am thinking i need to just clear the slate and start over.

can anyone help me with the best route to start with? what firmware to download?

my setup is as follows:

and 13" CF props

Hi! I also wrote this in your other post.... I think you went a bit overboard in your build my friend thinking bigger is better (although on some things that is true! LOL). Here below are the recommended parts that the manufacturer suggests to use with that frame. I think this might be your first or second build yes? If so, grab the recommended parts and I bet that thing will fly beautifully... :)

• Overall Size: 800mm ( 25.6in )
  • Empty Frame Weight: 700g
  • Payload Capacity: 1000g
  • Max Gross Take-Off Weight: 2000g Max
  • Suggested Motor : 2217 900 - 950kV x 6 ( Not Included )
  • Suggested ESC : 10 - 20A Brushless ESC x 6 ( Not Included )
  • Suggested Prop : 1038 / 1045 CCW x 3 and CW x 3 ( Not Included )
  • Suggested Battery : 3S 11.1V 2200 - 5000mah Battery ( Not Included )

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Where did you get the multiwii board?

What version software are you on?

are you trying to lift off immediately with the GPS on?

flygirl may be right, perhaps your rig is mismatched, but I may be able to help a little with the multiwii stuff.

I am having similar issues with my quad. But I can suggest a few things.

- Make sure you sync your mag, accelerometers, and ESC's
- Ensure you are starting with all positional flight controls disabled (gps et all)
- Check your rotation directions

I am still playing around with mine but I think I am close to finding a different controller. I want position hold but may get a KK as a backup.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
HighFlight is definitely right. All sensors need to be calibrated. And the initial PID settings should be close from tuning in ACRO mode.

I thought you said ESCs were calibrated - but if not, that's the first thing that should be done before you even start messing with the FC.

DEFINITELY make sure the motors and props are moving the correct direction. That's even BEFORE step 1 :)

i was frustrated recently with my pro3.0, but muscles through it. I'm leaps and bounds ahead of where I was and it was really a matter of simple changes.

Hey guys thanks for all your suggestions, my esc's, accel, and mag are all calibrated, i set my magnetic declination, and my props are gpoing in the right direction, however i'm thinking that my props may be too aggressive an might start by getting smaller props. |I am currently running the 2.3 software.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Gotcha. If you have double checked your prop/motor rotation, calibrated your throttle ESCs, confirmed that your Tx sticks are controlling the correct functions in the GUI, done ACC calibration on level ground, MAG cal doing the 360 degree dance, etc - then you might want to reflash a fresh install of the software.

Where did did you get the FC? Did it come preloaded with software?

can you describe when it crashes? Do you get off the ground and in the air and THEN it's unstable? Or it flips before it gets off the ground?

also, have you double checked that the aux assignments are only sending what you want to the RX (example: no switch is accidentally sending 2 signals - like mag AND Baro)? If Baro is on and you're in cold weather - that would totally throw you off.

Gotcha. If you have double checked your prop/motor rotation, calibrated your throttle ESCs, confirmed that your Tx sticks are controlling the correct functions in the GUI, done ACC calibration on level ground, MAG cal doing the 360 degree dance, etc - then you might want to reflash a fresh install of the software.

Where did did you get the FC? Did it come preloaded with software?

can you describe when it crashes? Do you get off the ground and in the air and THEN it's unstable? Or it flips before it gets off the ground?

also, have you double checked that the aux assignments are only sending what you want to the RX (example: no switch is accidentally sending 2 signals - like mag AND Baro)? If Baro is on and you're in cold weather - that would totally throw you off.

got the board from hobby king, i can get it off the ground but its twitchy, and it drifts alot, mostly back ward, and i noticed i have to set one of my switches to arm it, using the tx sticks doesnt work, im used to using naza , this programming thing and editing is so confusing an frustrating, , naza was soooo much simpler, other then the price point i dont see why anyone uses these boards

right now i have baro, mag, horizon, angle, and gps hold turning on at the same time, on another switch i have gps home, gps hold, on on the last aux i have headfree by itself

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think I may know what several of your issues are :)

First, get all those modes off the same switches. Which transmitter so you have? Do you have a few 3 way switches? You want to have 1 3-way switch be A) ACRO (no extra sensors), B) horizon, C) horizon+mag. On another switch have Baro on the B position (nothing in the A position).

Turn off the GPS hold and RTH completely for now.

The arming problem seems to be that your Tx is not calibrated for multiwii. You want to go in the GUI and make the throttle points be at low=1095, mid=1500, high=1905. You have to do that for all sticks in all directions. You'll see it show up in the GUI aux area. Make sure your Tx trims are all set to zero/center.

When you take off for the first time, you can be in horizon mode. That is basically self-level mode.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Scott

rwilabee

What is the Wingui. Does this make programming easier?

Rich

my setup is as follows:

and 13" CF props

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
What is the Wingui. Does this make programming easier?

Rich

thats how you do the programming. It's available for both Win & Mac. You need to hook up to it to assign channels for aux sends etc. Also - it shows the basic calibrations and you can change your magnetic declination in there.

Your FC has the USB, no?

Hi my friend.
Your problem for sure is your transmitter end points. Using the GUI open the RC CONTROLS tab look at the live tx data, then use your tx sub trim to set the throttle low at 998 and all the mid sticks at 1500. Then using the tx end points adjustment make the throttle high point 2000, yaw left 1000, yaw right 2000, pitch dwn 1000, pitch up 2000, roll left 1000, roll right 2000. All flight modes disabled apart from horizon and mag. With all sensors calibrated correctly and mag declaration set, using the default PIDs and in a nice open space ARM with trottle low and yaw right. Increase trottle untill motors start. Decease trottle fully and the motors need to be still rotating, if they stop then your min trottle setting needs increasing slightly. Increase throttle slightly and listen to the motors, and if the motors start increasing without any stick movment just decrease you Mag slightly in the PID tab of the GUI. try again and if the motors speed is stable increase and hover. If it drifts backwards just land disarm with throttle low yaw left. Then trim with trottle high and hold your pitch roll stick in the opposite direction to the drift so in this case farward hold there untill the light on your board flashes 5 times the centre stick, throttle low and rearm and try again. Repeat as required. Then you should have a nice stable bird. Sorry its a bit long winded but I hope this will help you and maybe others.

Stick with it the multiwii is a great FC and is getting better and better.

If you have and questions about anything Multiwii including custom programing or just need some reassurances just ask.

Cheers Brett