DJI WKM Hexa yawing right

iceman

Thought I had everything set up just right after some minor repairs following a crash. The crash was due to the hexa seemingly going out of control (earlier thread relating to this) so after some careful examination I can’t see anything that would have caused the problem. So now I have replaced the bent 360 adapter bracket and one broken prop, double checked everything, re-installed 5.02 firmware, defaulted and reset all settings and calibrated compass (just to be sure) but now it always wants yaw right in forward flight. I have realigned the compass GPS both right of centre and left of centre but still yaws right. Any one got some ideas? :dejection:

hexa

Thought I had everything set up just right after some minor repairs following a crash. The crash was due to the hexa seemingly going out of control (earlier thread relating to this) so after some careful examination I can’t see anything that would have caused the problem. So now I have replaced the bent 360 adapter bracket and one broken prop, double checked everything, re-installed 5.02 firmware, defaulted and reset all settings and calibrated compass (just to be sure) but now it always wants yaw right in forward flight. I have realigned the compass GPS both right of centre and left of centre but still yaws right. Any one got some ideas? :dejection:

Try reverting back to firmware 2.1.

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

iceman

I'm sure my problems started when the new "care free" mode was added, although I don't have it activated. I'll try firmware before this feature was added.

Kari

Hi Iceman,

Have you found any reason for this yawing? I did today maiden flight with cinestar 6 WKM combo and it's yawing right too. Compass was calibrated. It was -16 Celsius out there so that might cause these problems too but i've been flying with my quad/WKM in -11C and never had problems like this before. It was also very slow correcting yawing to left even stick was almost at the endpoint. Any thoughts?

Kari

iceman

Hi Iceman,

Have you found any reason for this yawing? I did today maiden flight with cinestar 6 WKM combo and it's yawing right too. Compass was calibrated. It was -16 Celsius out there so that might cause these problems too but i've been flying with my quad/WKM in -11C and never had problems like this before. It was also very slow correcting yawing to left even stick was almost at the endpoint. Any thoughts?

Kari

I think the manual states -5 as the lower end of ops, I have just reverted back to old firmware 4.02 and just about to go and try that now, will report back later.

iceman

Hi Iceman,

Kari

Hi Kari

Just been out after loading old firmware, same problem aaaaaarrrrrggggg!!!!!! Going to move GPS aerial to front but I don't hold out much hope that will work as I have same problem in attitude mode and it was always ok where it is, only thing that has changed is that after the crash I changed to a shorther mast as it was a bit too high and broke in my crash. Kari please let me know if you find something, maybe we can crack this together, strength in numbers and all!

Regards Andy

Kari

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear still problem with old fw. I don't think this is caused by gps, i flew mostly with atti and just tested gps quickly and it was yawing on both. Also calibrating compass succeed no problem. One thing came to my mind how are your motors aligned? Are they straight leveled up like 0 degrees or do you have few degrees angle in every other to one direction and others to opposite? (Of course it has to be aligned right direction but can't remember here how as my quad is not here right now) In my 500X quad motors are aligned 5-6 degrees off from center and think it helps a lot for controlling yaw. In Cinestar i have graupner e-props 11X5 and motors aligned straight up so don't know if that combo is creating enough counter torque force for control yaw? This is just a wild guess. My yaw and other gains also are way off where they should be as this was first flight ever with hexa so i should try to increase yaw gain first radically.
Kari

iceman

I'm using same props as you on a Droidworx AD6 HL frame, all motors fixed as standard (straight), this set up worked before the crash and after careful inspection of all parts after repairs there is nothing physical that I can find wrong. My gut feeling is that an ESC is perhaps not responding or sending out the right motor control, heaven knows how id eliminate that?

johsch

I had the same with my Droidworx AD6. It stopped when I increased the yaw gain to 180%. You might try that.
/Johan

iceman

I had the same with my Droidworx AD6. It stopped when I increased the yaw gain to 180%. You might try that.
/Johan

I would but I feel I would only be masking an undrlaying problem (if it does work) because it was OK before with Yaw set at 110. I will give it go to see what results I get, but I need to do some real work before I get a chance.

Andy

Dudez

Had the same problem as yours but fixed it now by remounting the motors and made sure that they are 100% vertical..

iceman

Had the same problem as yours but fixed it now by remounting the motors and made sure that they are 100% vertical..

I have checked all motor mounts and they all look vertical, in fact they are all locked into position with the hole in the boom ends. I have also reprogrammed each ESC to make sure all are on medium timing and end throttle calibration through RX. Each motor and ESC seem to be responding normally when tested via RX individually. I have now taken the advice to up the yaw gain and after testing yesterday it flies straight with yaw set at 160. Looking at video footage though there is a lot of shaking, the hexa looks stable to the naked eye in flight (no wobble) but too much small "bumps" or shakes in camera, could this be something to do with gains, all props and motors are balanced and there is minimal vibration?

Andy

Kari

I have checked all motor mounts and they all look vertical, in fact they are all locked into position with the hole in the boom ends. I have also reprogrammed each ESC to make sure all are on medium timing and end throttle calibration through RX. Each motor and ESC seem to be responding normally when tested via RX individually. I have now taken the advice to up the yaw gain and after testing yesterday it flies straight with yaw set at 160. Looking at video footage though there is a lot of shaking, the hexa looks stable to the naked eye in flight (no wobble) but too much small "bumps" or shakes in camera, could this be something to do with gains, all props and motors are balanced and there is minimal vibration?

Andy

Good to hear increasing yaw gain helped, i cannot test yet as it's freezing -20C and gusty. How did you actually balanced your motors? I've been looking for method to do that but can't find how to do it with a reasonably amount of work.

Kari

iceman

Motor balancing was quite easy compared to prop balancing, have a look at this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgvayWfey78 It worked for me. On my Pulso U28 motors only 3 need to be balanced, the reduction in vibration is amazing. I still need to find out what is causing my video to jump about, its like someone is shaking the camera or bumping it, the frame looks steady when looking at it but video footage is not steady.

DaveM

Another method for balancing motors using a smartphone app

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Kari

Thanks. Good tips both, have to download that app and mount an iphone to boom with velcro strap. Already did one balancing round to all 6 motors and where ever i attached small piece of tape vibration got worse, but i was measuring by hands. So looks like those qc3328:s are already quite well balanced.

Kari

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD