DJI Wkm and Herkules III arming issues

I finally found some time to finish my 2nd Skyjib X8. For this one I am using the Herkules III boards with Wkm and Orbit 15-20 motors. I have stumbled onto an issue that won't let me power up the motors.

- DJI wkm is running 5.14. Flashed twice, both times same result. All configuration settings defaulted and reentered many times.

View attachment 7420

- Herkules III boards running latest firmware. The Herkules III boards work just fine when hooked up directly to the AR8000 throttle channel.

View attachment 7419

- + and signal servo wires are hooked up correctly.
View attachment 7418

- DJI Wkm is set up correctly in GS. TX sticks calibrated many times (Spektrum DX8, throttle end points _115% +115%), tried all flight modes with no difference, all settings of motor startup power. All CSC combinations do not start motors.

Anyone with any ideas what might preventing the Wkm of arming and spinning the motors?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 457
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 396
  • DJI GS.jpg
    DJI GS.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 290

elossam

Did you tested the flar wire to servo wire adapter boards. I tried to figure how they were routed and was not able to do it but I did it too fast due to the lack of time. I would check that again.

kloner

Aerial DP
when you roll the sticks, is the green sliders moving to the extreme ends of the scale in TX Cali? is d/r setup?

achta

Is it possible that your controll mode switch is not in the right possition, you have to center and trimm it...

maybe than it will work...
Lg

Control mode switch is set up correctly, flight modes change and turn green in the GS software. The pictures I took after I disconnected the unit.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Denny, I checked the trims all were default and centered.

I hooked a motor output from my CX Naza with the same RX form the SJ and the herkules works just fine.

View attachment 7437

TX works ok
Herkules III work ok
Cables ok
Motors ok
GS software setup ok

Conclusion new V2 MC not ok.

Attachments

• IMG_20121101_095214.jpg
    IMG_20121101_095214.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 216

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Red probably MC V2 sends out a different start PWM pulse. Ask Andreas if they tested the Herks with a V2 MC of the WKM. If not and they have he same issue than they will have to change sometime in their PWM firmware.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I think to remember but not sure anymore if you got a ESC32 with the AQ. If you did you could find out what the difference its between the NAZA and MC V2 for example. Naza for example sends out a minimum PWM value of 900. ESC32 didn't work before they were set to that.

Boris

Hi,

the PPM signal has to be shorter than 1080 microseconds to be detected as zero from the herkules.
Maybe the Wookong does deliver a signal not shorter than this. Normally this is an issue with spectrum rx. An increase of stick range to +/- 120% should solved this issue.

Could you try it with a different receiver, not spectrum. (I dont like it anyhow... ;-)
Andreas

Unfortunately I don't have any other TX other than Spektrum. Tried both DX8 and DX6i. I do have the range increased to -115% +115%. Tried up to 150% with no difference. Herkules boards run fine when directly connected to Spektrum RX, motors start up at around 110% range. Also Naza -Herkules works fine with the same TX-RX.

The boards do initialize at power on with the beeps and lights.

Attachments

• PPM-Connector-Cable_D.JPG
    PPM-Connector-Cable_D.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 317

The cables are fine. I have tested them.

I have connected the outputs of the V2 MC onto DJI's esc and still no throttle response. The V2 MC replacement I received is faulty.

Any dealers in Europe that can assist with a replacement?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Red I can send you a fresh replacement MC which I am not using at the moment. Can send it away earliest on Monday !

Boris

Red I can send you a fresh replacement MC which I am not using at the moment. Can send it away earliest on Monday !

Boris

Wow Boris that is very nice of you. Is it a V2? I will take you up on your offer if you allow me to pay shipping both ways + a beer for you ;-)

Thank you.

elossam

Every time you modified the thr endpoint did you recalibrate the sticks in the wkm software? I would try both: not calibrate and calibrate. Maybe if you calibrate it the wkm restores the output signal to the same level no matter which value comes in. If thats right then you may calibrate it at 100%, then lower the epa up to 130 or more and may be lower the thr trim. Just an option.