DJI released the Zenmuse Z15-5D 3-axis gimbal!

Nooky

Hi together,

I am new here. I have read about the Z15-5D Zenmuse in this German blog - I am a bit confused.. they talk about 3 flight modi (orientation programs) which shall be new.. I tried to figure out what is new between the orientation options of thee Z15-5D and the previous versions of Z15.. they talk about FPV orientation mode, locked orientation mode and non-locked orientation mode.. I googled for that and found your thread here. It seems as if you already have some experience on the Z15 Zenmuse. Can you please help me with that? Sorry for the stupid question - but you would help me a lot!

Thank you in advance ;o)

Hello,

All the Zenmuses have these three modes.

• Orientation-locked control = FPV mode, the camera follows the movement of the multicopter
  • Non-Orientation locked control = 2 person mode, one person controls the gimbal, the other one the multicopter
  • Back to mid-point mode = reset, moves the gimbal towards the flight direction (nose of the multicopter)
greetings.

Nooky

Ahh great, thank you!
Back to mid-point means you can yaw or tilt the camera to following an object while flying by - but when you release the stick, camera comes lowly back to flight direction? Is that right?

regards

DennyR

IMO this new release is invalid because of DJI's insistence on a single, fixed focal-length lens. Frankly, I find statements to the effect of "a 5D is a waste of time", "male jewellery", etc. absurd.

Groan! Yet another "will obsolete everything" prediction from Denny.
And there I was expecting you to finally show us that you have at last managed to build a multi rotor that can leave the ground and that you do actually own a camera and have taken a half decent picture with it. Next year maybe....

Chris
I would not be too hasty to disregard the DJI claim for that level of accuracy which is not really that difficult to achieve if you study the way that pro gimbals do it. Cineflex and several other manufacturers have had 0.003 for about 12 years now. What makes it difficult is when you try to make a universal mount for a number of different lenses or a camera that has a multitude of heavy junk on board that is not required. If a ****head like jess comes along and expects to slap a wide angle lens on it one minute and then use a long telephoto in the next minute. Then that is not possible, the way Cineflex do it is to have a small compact zoom lens with just the (small) imaging sensor attached to the back of it. the rest of the cameras functionality is inside the helicopter and not anywhere near the gimbal.

If you want to start butchering your 5D you might one day have a decent system that compares.

Last edited by a moderator:

the way Cineflex do it is to have a small compact zoom lens with just the (small) imaging sensor attached to the back of it.

Now that zoom lens is not really that small :shame: and you can change lenses by using different weights in the Cineflex gimbal. But it is true that system specifically built around a camera system will work best. That´s why I prefer the Zenmuse head over the BeSteady for example. It´s very compact and fits my camera exactly. I use different lenses anyway by adding weights.

Greetings.

DennyR

Considering that the cineflex gimbal assy. weighs 67 lbs the weight of the approved lens's is proportionally small, my point is that the design criteria puts all secondary functions outside of the gimbal, the outer axis movement is about the same degree of accuracy as we see in a Zenmuse but the inner axis is where the real accuracy and final vibration attenuation is seen.

Miniaturization of this system will be difficult to produce light enough, so the route will probably be through digital zoom and stab. at the sensor level. I think that brushless motors will be replaced by piezoelectric for the main movements. I have had a prototype working for some time now. It is the size of the modular electronic controllers that still needs to be overcome with a purpose made design that incorporates the sensors and the power system into a PCB board. The positioning accuracy is far better than a brushless motor and the units are much smaller.

Hats off to DJI for taking the bull by the horns and creating a purpose made camera (Vision) that will undoubtably follow the logical steps as it develops.

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Ho-hum, I suppose I had better qualify the "waste of time" comment. I was thinking in terms of aerial video. The GH2&3 knock spots off the Canons video abilities, for apparent resolution, clarity and lack of moiré etc. However, the 5D will take much better photographs than the Lumix cameras. But then, why bother with an expensive brushless gimbal? Carry it with a lighter simpler mount.

Conclusion: Zenmuse 5D is a waste of time

Quinton

Ho-hum, I suppose I had better qualify the "waste of time" comment. I was thinking in terms of aerial video. The GH2&3 knock spots off the Canons video abilities, for apparent resolution, clarity and lack of moiré etc.

Conclusion: Zenmuse 5D is a waste of time

Where did you read this informatiion, I wouldn't say that.
I own the 5D and the GH2, and find the 5D much better.
Not to mention, far better ISO range, more dynamic range and the ability to apply some really nice LUTs which also allow for more Dynamic Range.
The 5D can also hold a far superior range of better lenses compared to the Panasonics.

Only thing the panasonic has is auto focus which I wouldn't use anyhow.
I don't like getting into mine is bigger than yours arguments, but the 5D is a great camera for video and the others certainly don't knock socks of it.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Read? I have not used my 5D in four years. I rushed out and bought a 5D mkll when they were the hottest thing around and I was flying only a large single rotor helicopter, before MR's had hit the scene and I was impressed with the video against my Panasonic P2 video camera. Nice and bright with gorgeous colour and not as soft. The latter is down to the CMOS sensor against the 3CCD of the Panasonic.

I purchased a Droidworx AD-8, because it was advertised at the time as being a 5D carrier, and immediately felt it was slightly out of its depth. Droidworx have long since changed their tune on that one and the 5D carrier is now a Sky Jib.

Because I felt the AD-8 was slightly out of its depth I bought a Nex 5n. That was a waste of money. Next was the GH2 and what a difference. The clarity and resolution of the video image knocks the 5D out of the park and the fact that the Lumix handles repetitive patterns much better reduces moiré drastically. Shaving 1.2kg off the payload weight didn't do any harm either.

Subjective or not you are welcome to worship the Canon. I don't rate it - except for stills.

Would you like to buy it? It is spotless!

Quinton

I don't totally disagree with you, the GH2/GH3 are great cameras, but they don't walk all over the 5D.
Moiré is probably more down to the smaller sensor and crop factors.
Maybe you should have a look at the latest Magic Lantern for your Canon, you may reconsider, you can even shoot RAW if you wanted, which is why everyone wants the latest BMPC.
The Pannys are better flying cameras without a doubt, but the 5D certainly does not make bad video, its all down to users taste, but I do hate the image that comes from a Sony

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Regardless of what the reason is for the Canon being very susceptible to moiré, it is worse and that is all that counts.
As for Magic Lantern and RAW, I wonder exactly how many folks around here shoot RAW. Who the hell needs to deal with those sort of file sizes?

I have a brand new BMPC. It is cute but it is far too much hassle for everyday work. You can buy that one too if you like. I just ordered a second GH3. Can't be beat at the moment for what we do.

Quinton

Regardless of what the reason is for the Canon being very susceptible to moiré, it is worse and that is all that counts.
As for Magic Lantern and RAW, I wonder exactly how many folks around here shoot RAW. Who the hell needs to deal with those sort of file sizes?

I have a brand new BMPC. It is cute but it is far too much hassle for everyday work. You can buy that one too if you like. I just ordered a second GH3. Can't be beat at the moment for what we do.

I agree with you regarding hassle, thats why I like to use the Canon C100 over the 5D
I actually would be interested in purchasing your BMPC if the price is right, you can PM me some details if you are serious.

olof

Osprey
In a way using the 5D on the Zen is a smart move. For the same reason the 5D was such a hit with everyone. It is a fantastic still camera. And a lot of Aerial work is still photos, don't forget that. So this means that we now have a very good quality lens on an excellent huge megapixel camera for photography. And a very good video camera as well, all switchable in the air.

Yes I agree that as a video only camera the 5DmkII/III are not my favorite choice, I have an EX3, FS700 and a C100 for video as well as a bunch of crash cams and of course my Zen mounted 5N. But over the years before the AF100, FS700 and C100/300 I shot a lot of video with the 5D and 7D my clients were always happy with the result. Great framing, lighting and content is the key.

So as an all around package this is very attractive and I am thinking hard about the new S1000 DJI kit, to add to my stable. I have a F450 with the H32D gimbal and a F550 with the Yun-1 as well as my trusty S800/Zen, they all make money for me. I also have the 5DmkII and I use it for stills every day, and sometimes for video if I don't happen to have one of the video cams with me.

Quinton

Is the Zenmuse such a smart move though, I agree its great as it connects through the FC but the only thing that really puts me (and a lot of others off I'm Sure) is its 1 Lens / 1Camera approach, that just doesn't make sense to me.

Quinton

Im with Quinton on this. The Besteady is looking really nice and much more flexible.
I'm not even sure te Besteady One is the answer.
I purchased it, and at this time I don't think the current firmware release is ready for flying (at least mine wasn't)
One major drawback was the top cage, It would not allow a C100 on the gimbal, and there was not enough tllt in this version.
It will be fixed, but I want it working now, not next month.

maxwelltub

Good to know. Is there an owners thread somewhere. I don't think I've seen any MR stuff with the Besteady yet which makes me a little nervous.

ddikie

Guys I have recently got into arial photography & video with S800- A2 - Tiger Props 15 x5 - EVO Zen & NEX7..right off the bat i was very unhappy with the 16mm recommended lens...so have modified the ZEN to work with 2 - Ziess lenses ..the 24 MM & 12MM they both seems to have the same balance point even though there is 30 grams or so difference in weight..but one is a different shape & length..so makes a swap over in the field possible.for the last week i have been flying 8 - 10 lipo packs a day doing panoramic arial stills for a client and i hav ego say both lenses work extremely well for stills..and I tried some video today and that was very good..my point here is that i already have a full cannon setup and a 5dMk3 so i will get the new Zen 5D and modify the balance to accept a decent bit of L series glass, and take my chances...how bad can it be...there is always post production to fix issues...

Quinton

..my point here is that i already have a full cannon setup and a 5dMk3 so i will get the new Zen 5D and modify the balance to accept a decent bit of L series glass, and take my chances...how bad can it be...there is always post production to fix issues...

Just be careful, as the EVO may struggle with these kind of weights.
I just checked the weight of the 5D MK3 and a 16-35mm Lens and it was 1630g (3.6 lbs) add onto this the weight of the Zenmuse 1.42KG (3.12 LBS)
Quite a bit of weight for an Evo to be carrying, and that's before you try adding more to balance it, and filters etc.

maxwelltub

Not to mention you have very little redundancy with a hex. I feel like Evos are struggle to work on a good day, pushing it sound like a bad idea.