Castle Creations QuadPack

elossam

No idea about these new ones but in my case ice50, ice50 lite and edge50 runs very hot with 6S and 10-15A average only per esc. 85°C is a common temp recorded at 25°C outdoors and thats double of what I got from an herkules III with the same equipment and conditions. There fore for me it is not an option until CC found what makes their ESCs run so hot and correct it. Refresh them with airflow is not a solution, the only masks the problem and the herkules III is as fine or as bad refreshed as the CC on each equipment I tested. Have a customer with one CC ICE50 completely burnt and that was because CC has to close running temp to their max allowed.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
No idea about these new ones but in my case ice50, ice50 lite and edge50 runs very hot with 6S and 10-15A average only per esc. 85°C is a common temp recorded at 25°C outdoors and thats double of what I got from an herkules III with the same equipment and conditions. There fore for me it is not an option until CC found what makes their ESCs run so hot and correct it. Refresh them with airflow is not a solution, the only masks the problem and the herkules III is as fine or as bad refreshed as the CC on each equipment I tested. Have a customer with one CC ICE50 completely burnt and that was because CC has to close running temp to their max allowed.

a friend of mine just recently almost lost a brand new plane when a brand new ICE75 shorted out, Castle stuff is overpriced and doesn't deliver any measurable performance improvement, IMHO. they replaced the ESC with a new one but I wonder what they would have done about the plane if it had caught fire and was ruined.

elossam

Absolutely nothing, they stated it on their condition like others do. Your friend case was a plane, what about a full loaded skyjib octo with expensive camera on it. Thanks God it happened just starting the engines and not in flight.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
What ESCs would you suggest for an octo HL (lifting a Canon T2i & 3 axis gimbal) with Axi 2814/22 motors? I want to replace my current ESC setup (Maytech) and eliminate ESC issues as a possible cause to a wobble I get (adjusting the gains has no affect on the wobble).

elossam

Basically anything is better than Maytech V1 or V2 escs. V2 has a defective build and is easy to burn them into flames if they became hot and shortcut the imputs. I mount no other ones except Herkules III. An expensive price but zero problems, amazing behaviour and now with telemetry compatible with graupner and jetti (later futaba too and others). . What about running the Escs at 45°C after 10 mins hovering a full loaded octo (10 kg total weight) at 30°C sunny sumer day?.
On the cheap side you can choose between any other chinese escs on the market, they will perform equally than the CC at a fraction of the cost of the CC and Herkules. Its your decission.

Bartman

What ESCs would you suggest for an octo HL (lifting a Canon T2i & 3 axis gimbal) with Axi 2814/22 motors? I want to replace my current ESC setup (Maytech) and eliminate ESC issues as a possible cause to a wobble I get (adjusting the gains has no affect on the wobble).

Marlon,

I'm running Hobbywing Platinum Pro 40A. what batteries are you using and what are the max temps you might encounter during the year?

No issues at all for over a year with my Ice50. Only running them on 4S with MT2814. Performance is much better than simonk flashed junk esc.
Some other good options are the Ultraesc and the Herk III. All 3 esc have performed flawless for me for many months.
Cheap esc's and lipos is one of the main reasons multis fail.

Bartman

No issues at all for over a year with my Ice50. Only running them on 4S with MT2814. Performance is much better than simonk flashed junk esc.
Some other good options are the Ultraesc and the Herk III. All 3 esc have performed flawless for me for many months.
Cheap esc's and lipos is one of the main reasons multis fail.

it's not much of a product endorsement though when you have to run 50 A ESC's to handle what is usually handled by a 30A ESC's. what weights are you flying at? more than 10 lbs?

Castle Creations ESC's have come to be known as Castle Cremations, do a google search.

7.4 kilos. No issues here. Can't say the same about 4-5 brands of cheap esc I crashed with. I did extensive research before geting the CC esc and I knew about the issues the high voltage line was having. But I am not running a 12S Heli with them.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I have been running 2 4S 5800 in parallel. However, I haven't been getting great flight times (5-6 minutes) so I am wondering if I should be using 6S 8000. The highest temperature here during the summer is 38 Celsius. My digital scales are out of batteries but my best guess for weight is 6 Kg.

Herk III are way over the top for price. Ultraesc 35A is still under development. I know that SimonK has some good code. ...just looking for reliable ESCs that run silky smooth with multicopters without a huge outlay of money.

I am going to put Afro 30A ESCs on my smaller ship (swap out the Maytechs) and see how those do but I may need something more substantial for the heavier ship.

Bart, did you flash those Hobbywing with SimonK code? I do have the adapters to do the flashy thing now but just haven't tried it yet.

elossam

Aroubd a Year we got temps at field between -3°C and +40°C. IA big octo full loaded runs about 8-12A per engine so a 30A esc sounds safe enough. The question is why a CC ICE 50 with full metal enclose to help heat disipation goes up to 85-90°C in medium weather temp (25°C) using only 20% of his rated amperes and 75% of its allowed tension lefts only 15% of its safe temperature margin. Cant imagine them flying a 8S powered multicopter even at the same 10A average. HW Platinum (not pentium) gave us great results and even having worst refresh capabilities than CC ice/edge as they are enclosed in thermoretract work at a litle lower temp than CC.

CineRebel

Hi there,

We have been flying our skyjib for over a year now with CC Phoenix ice 75 & Plettenberg 15-20 motors on 5s. These motor are really current hungry with peaks up to 50amps. The only thing Problem we had was in the beginning due miss connecting motors 7&8 to FC. But after realising my stupid mistake and almost Carshing the skyjib they have been performing great with DJI .

Cheers

Bartman

.............Bart, did you flash those Hobbywing with SimonK code? I do have the adapters to do the flashy thing now but just haven't tried it yet.

haven't tried to flash any ESC's Marlon. a while back I started reading about how to do it but then didn't think I could sell ESC's that I had flashed nor did I want to be on the hook for ESC;s that I flashed in the event people had problems with them.

In trying the Tiger and Hobbywing ESC's I found they worked well so reflashed ESC's weren't necessary (IMHO).

THe 40A ESC's aren't too much of a weight penalty over the 30A's and in most cases I've seen the 40's have two capacitors instead of one.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
The temperature got over 0C and the wind dropped for an evening, so I took my smaller ocoto out for test flight and it flew smooth with the Afro 30A ESCs and HFP. I think those will work well but time will tell the real story. This setup has been a very reliable ship for us.

I am still waiting for a weather window to test my iPeak 40A on my Droidworx ocoto HL. I am running Axi 2814/22 motors with 13x6.5 APC props with WKM. This setup seems to be jinxed - it has been two years of rebuilding and test crashing. It took numerous crashes to figure out that I was mislead by DJI's suggested gain settings. This ship has yet to do any camera work for me. The one last problem was an obnoxious twitch (nothing to do with the gain) but when I rebuilt it this time I discovered some bare wires from previous crashes and redid all the wiring again (this is the third attempt at totally rewiring it). Hopefully this time...

Last edited by a moderator: