DJI F550 TROUBLE glitch

Been flying for a couple months and have had this happen a couple of times. When flying the copter with twitch/dip for a sec then correct just as quick. I acts like a motor is quitting. After flight all motors feel fine and I have even changed the motor I thoulht it was and still getting the same result. I have played with the gains and it still happens. I will post video soon.Thanks

kloner

Aerial DP
what radio is in it? kinda sounds like it's hitting failsafe as in loss of reception. usually when a connector or esc acts up, the motor stops, falls like a brick.

I'd look at range testing your radio. read the manual about how to enter that mode, makes the antenna off the tx really low power...... i leave my craft off but booted up, set dow the transmitter and walk. easiest way is to put it in manual so no flashing lights and if this thing is setup right, it should flassh orange really fast when the radio signal goes away as your walking. you radio manual should say something about your looking for x amount of paces or feet

hjls3

upgraphics I chased a twitch for weeks on a stock setup. I would certainly take a look at your bullet connectors at the ESC. I had a bit of play causing a bad connection. Adjusted the bullet connector a bit to be a snugger fit and all was good. Good luck.

Torque66

I just had the exact same problem twitch.... switched out the esc and motors that i thought were bad but it still persisted and was thinking it could be the FC. Seemed like all the motors were fine without props.... but then i left the quad on the ground and throttled up enough to just lift the individual arms a few inches off the ground and the twitchy motor became obvious. Seems under some load the bad motor showed.

kloner

Aerial DP
looks like a rear right motor then right side in the later part of the film, was the motors rotated at one point

these guys are right, looks like a bullet connector on the esc or the wires inside the motor. the motor wire bullets can be resoldered, get some heatshrink so you can cover em back up after. it can be the bullet connector inside the esc, harder to find the heatshrink but 1.5" will do it. gotta be carefull not to knock any of the other little parts off the esc when doing it. if it all continues after that, i'd get ahold of my dealer and show em this. might not be a bad idea now

Thats more than a twitch, it's practiclly inverted

when you pick up your rig, do you ever grab it by the arm between motor and frame?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm wondering if I had 2 bad motors. in the video the first part of the video was shot after the second part. We changed a motor and then flew again and it was worse.

kloner

Aerial DP
i've seen alot of dji motors not work, dealers replacing them on here, but usually its where the motor doesn't start at all, prop goes back and forth real slow. show your dealer this...... whod you get it from?

this is way not what suppose to happen, it'll crash sooner or later. suprised the naza/wk hasn't shut down the motors from going over too far yet

just flew again with another motor and I think I found the problem.. Just strange that 2 would go bad at the same time.. So what upgrade can be done for better motors?

kloner

Aerial DP
atta boy, it's a common smart question. the big money gets axi,,, 2217 , my money uses suppo 2810 2814, theres rc tiger, theres avroto, there are alot of options and is a good time to sort out if your gonna carry more weight later or if it's not propped right now, you can add 100kv, take away 100kv and really fine tune it. I'd seriously look at 4s and 8" but repowering the other option to skip 30 amp is 1300kv motors on 3s with 8". Theres alot of options, but from what i just watched looked like a better direction to go than what your using now

Them fireworks going up at it was sick. Guys say im nuts for flying over water aint seen that yet. hahaha morters,,,,, sweet

I am going to add weight looking at a nex5 I have a mktr pro[FONT=Nunito, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] and it flys well with 2 gopros [/FONT]

kloner

Aerial DP
what i'd do is go add two gopros to this thing and hovr it in manual and see where the stick is riding, is that about 7 oz of camera? Bring that back with what prop and battery it was and i can answer the size part better. A total weight would help too

Topflight

what i'd do is go add two gopros to this thing and hovr it in manual and see where the stick is riding, is that about 7 oz of camera? Bring that back with what prop and battery it was and i can answer the size part better. A total weight would help too

kloner:
I'm flying a DJI F550 with stock motors (2218/940kv), 10" Graupner props, 4S Lipo and a Hero2 camera. Total weight is 5 lbs 14.5 oz. Flies good. I want to replace the Hero2 with a Sony Nex5n (16.4oz) and add a Photohigher AV 130 gimbal (14.5 oz). This combination will remove the weight of the Hero2 (3.5oz) and add 30.5 oz with new camera and gimbal. So, I'll be adding almost 2 lbs to the unit which comes out to about 7 3/4 lbs (there abouts). What motor size and props would you suggest?

hjls3

Topflight - I realize you asked Kloner (and he is a GURU) however, my experience with this very thing might be of interest to you. If you are gonna put an AV130 on a 550 you should consider some extensions and not just upgrading the motors but getting some bigger props too. SHip in my avatar has AXI motors, 11" Graupner props and extensions from aerial media pros. You will be happy spinning the bigger prop. AXI motors are sure nice but there are a bunch of nice motors out there that are a bit cheaper. take a look here....best of luck....

http://aerialmediapros.com/store/index.php?cPath=25_36

kloner:
I'm flying a DJI F550 with stock motors (2218/940kv), 10" Graupner props, 4S Lipo and a Hero2 camera. Total weight is 5 lbs 14.5 oz. Flies good. I want to replace the Hero2 with a Sony Nex5n (16.4oz) and add a Photohigher AV 130 gimbal (14.5 oz). This combination will remove the weight of the Hero2 (3.5oz) and add 30.5 oz with new camera and gimbal. So, I'll be adding almost 2 lbs to the unit which comes out to about 7 3/4 lbs (there abouts). What motor size and props would you suggest?

kloner

Aerial DP
do what he said,,,,,,,, your reallllllly reallllllllly heavy and need something along those lines

Mvl

F550 Dipping

Been flying for a couple months and have had this happen a couple of times. When flying the copter with twitch/dip for a sec then correct just as quick. I acts like a motor is quitting. After flight all motors feel fine and I have even changed the motor I thoulht it was and still getting the same result. I have played with the gains and it still happens. I will post video soon.Thanks

I'm having the same problem:

http://youtu.be/UdOHwsqbv-c
http://youtu.be/qk2dsWoiMZw

I resolder the frame twice, changed the Naza, replaced 1 motor, but still the same problem. Tested with two different batteries, two Rx/Tx, the problem happens in different legs, most of the time on motor 1, but jumps to motor 6 or 2 at times. Could be the distribution board in the frame? Please help.

I'm having the same problem:

http://youtu.be/UdOHwsqbv-c
http://youtu.be/qk2dsWoiMZw

I resolder the frame twice, changed the Naza, replaced 1 motor, but still the same problem. Tested with two different batteries, two Rx/Tx, the problem happens in different legs, most of the time on motor 1, but jumps to motor 6 or 2 at times. Could be the distribution board in the frame? Please help.

I have changed all motors, esc's but not the fc but still has issues:

tonight, im removing the bullet connectors and solder motors directly to the esc to eliminate that probability.

Last edited by a moderator: