DJI A2 Performance/Build Comparisons

Tuukkuli

The A2 sits there and does not see the RX. So sits in FS

Dave

That sounds a lot better than the copter flipping high above at least. Do you think it is receiver related Dave? Would I be better off using a Futaba? This is absurd, I am going to fly my 45000€ copter (camera and gimbal included) with this contraption.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
That sounds a lot better than the copter flipping high above at least. Do you think it is receiver related Dave? Would I be better off using a Futaba? This is absurd, I am going to fly my 45000€ copter (camera and gimbal included) with this contraption.

Pass.. Its happening on my S-BUS linked Spektrum AR9020 AND a Spetrum DSM2 satellite receiver. It does seem to happen more on the S-BUS so it could be Spektrum related.

Dave

Tahoe Ed

I know what Rx he is using but I want to know what Tx he is using. The Dx8 and a few of the other Spektrum and JR transmitters have a problem in the cold with frequency drift. Unless he checks in Assistant, we will not know what is going on.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I know what Rx he is using but I want to know what Tx he is using. The Dx8 and a few of the other Spektrum and JR transmitters have a problem in the cold with frequency drift. Unless he checks in Assistant, we will not know what is going on.

Eh! What's that about. Frequency drift!! Works with everything else why not the A2?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

this was the only reference I could find to cold weather affects on our equipment

Very cold temperatures (freezing and below) can affect ESC calibration, so calibrate the ESCs at the lowest temperature you are going to fly and consider recalibration if the temperature changes by a large degree

edit: also found this
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1183151&page=2

fwiw, I've known Dave via our interactions here and offline for a few years now. he comes from an engineering/technical background, is a small businessman with a good reputation in his field, and has been an avid DJI user for about 2 1/2 years now (WKM, some NAZA, and now the A2).

i'm saying this because i trust that he's having the problems he says he's having. maybe it's due to something on his end but the possibility still exists that he's having a problem that is system or firmware oriented. while Kloner also has his share of experience, he's not running the full complement of features which may contribute to him not having any problems to report.

this is something i continue to watch as a potential DJI customer beyond the NAZA-M systems I'm currently flying.

regards,
Bart

Bartman

i will add this, if I do decide to fly the A2 I think I'll just use the radio system that DJI seems to prefer which is Futaba. SBUS converters and other stuff seems second best as far as the DJI engineers go so Futaba it will be.

Tahoe Ed

Eh! What's that about. Frequency drift!! Works with everything else why not the A2?

Dave I am not sure, but if you could connect to Assistant when your having this problem, we might be able to isolate the problem. The A2 is more sensitive to many things because it also more precise.

I fly mine with a Futaba 8FGS and it is fine. I have also flown it with my JR9305 and DSM2 satellites. I prefer the Futaba.

Nobody2

i will add this, if I do decide to fly the A2 I think I'll just use the radio system that DJI seems to prefer which is Futaba. SBUS converters and other stuff seems second best as far as the DJI engineers go so Futaba it will be.

Wise choice! There's a reason the U.S. Military uses Futaba for their LOS applications.

Bartman

Wise choice! There's a reason the U.S. Military uses Futaba for their LOS applications.

i'd guess whoever is bidding the contract is the cheapest and happens to use Futaba. I've been with my trusty JR 9503 for over three years without a single glitch. this is season four and I've got a DSMX on the shelf but the DSM2 has been so reliable that I can't see switching.

If DJI designs to the Futaba standard then so be it, but not until an A2 is onboard and ready to go.

:dejection:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dave I am not sure, but if you could connect to Assistant when your having this problem, we might be able to isolate the problem. The A2 is more sensitive to many things because it also more precise.

I fly mine with a Futaba 8FGS and it is fine. I have also flown it with my JR9305 and DSM2 satellites. I prefer the Futaba.

So Ed what am I looking for?

Are you risking anything other than a F450? Or have you got it on a bigun now.

If DJI say it will work with DSM2 / S-BUS then it should. If they say only to use Futaba then fine. I saw some video of AMP flying a S1000 and Futaba. He stated he could see his pack voltage. CAN you see pack voltage via the A2 on futaba radios?

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
fwiw, I've known Dave via our interactions here and offline for a few years now. he comes from an engineering/technical background, is a small businessman with a good reputation in his field, and has been an avid DJI user for about 2 1/2 years now (WKM, some NAZA, and now the A2).

i'm saying this because i trust that he's having the problems he says he's having. maybe it's due to something on his end but the possibility still exists that he's having a problem that is system or firmware oriented. while Kloner also has his share of experience, he's not running the full complement of features which may contribute to him not having any problems to report.

Thanks Bart. I am a perfectionist and as such am determined to get to the bottom of this. I WILL hold my hand up and apologise to DJI IF I am at fault. BUT DJI have admitted to me there could be an issue with temperature. It was present in one of the early releases of the WKM firmware also. I am still awaiting a response from them after they recover from their new years celebrations.

Dave

Tahoe Ed

Dave,

Right now the A2 is on my F550. It was on my S800 and I flipped it. It was not a controller problem but user error. I had the IMU reversed on Assistant. Corrected and now flying fine. I am getting ready to move it back to my S800. I will test fly and then install my Z15 with Nex5N. I am risking my own $$ on what I fly. No DJI support on this stuff. What I am looking for is to see if the settings in Assistant shift while in the cold. Put your Tx and Rx outside and then connect to the Assistant. I hope you have a laptop that can make that happen.

An FYI and exciting change for me, I am now a DJI employee. Today is my first day on the job. I have quit my day job and I get to do this full time. My job is to provide forum support for DJI and coordinate testing and support for their products. I will be working with the Service and Support Center in LA but I will continue to be located in NV. I am happy to be able to support MRF users. If I cannot answer your questions, I will be escalating them to DJI HQ. Please be patient sometimes it takes a while to get an answer back from the engineers. I have previously disclosed this change to Bart so he was informed and agreed to allow me to continue to post and support his users. If anyone has any questions, please PM me

Ed

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Great. a step in the right direction for DJI.

Dave

I will when I have the time and inclination to put more hours in to the A2 video my whole set ups detailing on video my problems and showing then happening, they are that predictable.

Dave

flappybird

The Sandbox
Since early October I have flown single operator over 60 hours on my S800+A2+IOSD+Z15 GH3+T8FGS. The machine has preformed very well in temperatures as low as 5[FONT=arial, sans-serif]°F up to 100, and gusting winds of 30mph or so. It has been caught in the rain flying at night off a boat over the ocean. and has been snowed on to the point ice had built up on the IMU along with other upward facing surfaces. Most of the time on the machine has been with V1 A2 software, but last week I updated to the newest software for all components. In my experience the A2 has done very well. I have experienced some additional minor yaw kicks in low temps and have had yaw kicks and 2 yaw spin outs when flying at maximum forward speed around 55-60MPH or 25-27m/s one of which was a full 360 spin. The yaw kick/spin out issue is my biggest concern when flying fast, and if I notice any signs of instability I back off a little. forward flight under 18m/s has been trouble free. Hopefully when I test the newest software it will have improved, because flying fast yields good footage. I have also experienced a loss of RX connection resulting in a fail safe return to home at 1100 yards. The fail safe preformed flawlessly and I manually regained control when the machine was 100 yards away. I have since flown beyond 1000 yards many times with no issue, although I must admit now having additional concerns in comparison to when I was flying on a DX8. Over all the system has met my expectations in all categories including reliability. This is how I make a living so if it didn't work I would replace it. Gains are 150,150,140,130,130,150[/FONT]