CS8 to X8 conversion - Herkules ESC III V3

Siteline

I added a 940g weight to see if it would do a better job with freewheel activated and it did, although I feel like the altitude could be better and it makes me wonder if the power surges are still present but dampened by the weight. I'm still not really able to get the oscillation's sorted out, I've been from 100% (Slow large range of motion, rubbery) up to 350% (faster and less range of motion) But Between those gains nothing really seem locked in smooth. Should I venture above 350%? It may sound funny but I like the sound of the bigger props, I wish I could iron out the gains with those (14X4.7) The Grapners will be coming this week. I'll try to head out this afternoon and get Video of the craft, But I'm curios to try 18Deg timing. Hmm, super smooth flight and video sure is an elusive animal. We also have toilet bowl in GPS but I figured I have to get the gains dialed in first and that should probably help...right? Get a steady flying craft before sorting out GPS?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
actually it should be the other way around, coming up from 100% basic gain your bird should not show any oscillations bringing up the basic gains to a certain percentage your bird should start showing oscillations. Artitude gains dont play a role in this equation at the moment. I have notice thought that I cant get these oscillations on my CS8 like i was able to get them on my HEXA with the 870 kv axis on it. I was higher than 350 already.

The only time i really got oscillations on my CS was when i brought up the basic gains to 400% and by accident hit the slide on the radio for attitude gains up to 200 250 % this in GPS hold.

are you getting something like this ?

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I added a 940g weight to see if it would do a better job with freewheel activated and it did, although I feel like the altitude could be better and it makes me wonder if the power surges are still present but dampened by the weight. I'm still not really able to get the oscillation's sorted out, I've been from 100% (Slow large range of motion, rubbery) up to 350% (faster and less range of motion) But Between those gains nothing really seem locked in smooth. Should I venture above 350%? It may sound funny but I like the sound of the bigger props, I wish I could iron out the gains with those (14X4.7) The Grapners will be coming this week. I'll try to head out this afternoon and get Video of the craft, But I'm curios to try 18Deg timing. Hmm, super smooth flight and video sure is an elusive animal. We also have toilet bowl in GPS but I figured I have to get the gains dialed in first and that should probably help...right? Get a steady flying craft before sorting out GPS?

By the way what are you doing with you attitude gains while you are adjusting the basic gains ?

Siteline

Hey Boris ,
I just left my attitude gains at 100% while I adjusted the basic gains. I loaded the GH2 on the CS8 this afternoon in around 12-15km winds. The bird flew well in regard to the power surges, but they are still kind of there, liveable though. I moved again from 150%-350% with no definitive results.

Siteline

Hopefully Andreas comes up with a real good formula! Maybe tomorrow I'll try "Mid" timing @ 18 degrees and see how that works.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I eventually always end up bringing down the attitude gains to 50% having both basic and att. gains on some knobs. The jump from 100% to 50% makes a noticeable difference ! I would notch up the basic gains even higher before you don't experience the same oscillation like i did in the video you are on the safe side.

If the bird gets to responsive with those high gains, give your radio some expo and dual rate to smooth it out again !

Boris

Siteline

Went out again today after spending the time to get the bird physically balanced by using the CS gimbal, it was quite far out, and now it's nicely balance when it's hanging from Booms #3 & #7. I figured I should start there so that it is in a natural state of equilibrium before I started hunting for other solutions. We went out in some high winds 15k+ with the 14" props. I don't think I could have done much to get it tuned in that wind with those props? I switched over to the 12" and the wind died down a bit. I did manage to get her dial in as good as I've had it yet but I think it's got to get better. The surges are still there just not as regular. Boris are you using 5s lipos? I think the Graupners are going to be shipped tomorrow, with some luck they may be here before the weekend. I really hope Andreas comes up with something.

Siteline

The reason I ask about the 5s is, in so many ways we have the identical set up, i.e CS8, QC motors, CS gimbal, GH2. Do you think that either the volts or just the difference in weight of the 5s could be enough to make the power surges less noticable on your set up? That +100-200g difference between the 4s and the 5s enough to keep the freewheel active? Have you managed to eliminate those surges on your CS8?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I guess its a combo of things. For me the surges were most noticeable with my 14 x 4 wooden props and i dont remember if i was flying 4s or 5s. It would seem though more reasonable that with 5s the surges should be more often since the current drawn should be lower in a hovering state. But i am just guessing around were the actual threshold is for the FW on load or not i dont know. The combo that did it for me in the last couple flights were the surges were minimal: ( dont want to bash, but for a MK users the experience would have been, damm this alt hold is steady, but at the same time not as good as on my WKM hexa with turnigy plush on them)

Payload State: Cam on Cam off, didnt matter.

1x 5s 5000 Mah lipo

12 x 3.8 carbon 11 grams props.

24 deg FW on, on the Herk.

I am on the ground with my bird at the moment otherwise I would be outside testing already to get some infos going for us. I hope next week i can be of more help and have it in the air pop some bigger props on and get the surges showing.

Now i remember that i was flying at andreas and sebastians place with 4s and 12 x 3.8 APC SF and i didnt remember having any surges otherwise we would have communicated about them right there. I only step toward andreas with the issue a couple weeks later after having tested the 14 x 4.

There is one thing we havent considered yet and if Andreas is right that it could be the PPM filter in the Herk firmware, maybe something changed with the firmware version of the WKM. I still have the 4.0 version on the WKM setup thats on the CS8. Them probably getting loads of support requests that not all counter ESCs work they might have change something. Again just a guess.

Lets see with which info Andreas will get back to use this week !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Than again i have 5.0 on my CX with the herk inside and dont have an issue. I am going to flash on FW on onto that herk board and see if I have any issue. !!!

After many sleepless nights ;-) lol, I managed to test my SJ8 with the Herkules II.

AUW 6.8 kilos. Plettenberg 15-20 motors, JXF 14x4 props, 2x 4s 8000mah lipo, 18DEG, Wkm firmware 5.

In a short 2 min hover I have the surges too...

So it's not the weight that messes with the FW.

Tried 5.02 too just now. No difference.

DJI probably released the fix after a few Octocopters crashed since last firmware update. I was lucky and landed in a bush, no damage to my octo.

At the time I thought it was my Plush 60a to blame and that the Wkm offers no redundancy.

Sydneyw got all defensive when I posted in rcgroups about the crashes happening in 2012. Now we know why.

Was using a AR8000 through a Futaba SBE-1. Now just a AR8000 + TM1000 for telemetry.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
summing it up i am sorry to hear the probs you guys are having with the WKM in combo with the Herk. I cant replicate it at the moment and really hope Andreas comes up with something in the next couple days! I somewhat feel responsible because I showed that it works with the power surges nearly gone not noticeable and now you guys have the issues !

Boris

No wories Boris, I got the Herkules because a vendor that no longer posts said that it works perfecly on his builds.

I am sure since DJI is establishing a large user base that Andreas will update the firmware and correct the issues soon.

Siteline

Boris,
You should assume absolutely no responsibility! We are in this together, and you are a huge help! It's going to work out!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
just put on 18Deg FW on, on my CX and the surges are present again ! They are not strong since i am on 50% max thrust to weight with my bird for hoover already, but they are their. Something not clean with WKM ppm and the way FW gets triggered i guess.

Boris