Crazy interference problem

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I was out flying yesterday and continued to experience interference with my wireless video. What is crazy though is that the interference would clear up and the picture would be restored by putting my finger over a screw head on the case of the receiver. Right by the power button is a screw head that holds that corner of the case together and my finger against the screw made the picture come back. I thought it might be a grounding issue so I put three layers of electric tape over the screw and then put my finger there and it was almost the same.
This is enough to make a person (more) crazy. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe replace the case screws with plastic screws? I have a call out to Iftron to see if Ira has any ideas but thought I'd put it before our collection of informed people as well.
The Rx is an Iftron Yellow Jacket. The Rx and antenna are about $600 combined so I'd expect to not have these sorts of problems.
Thanks,
Bart

Crash

Defies Psychics
Gives new meaning to the phrase "Give it the Finger".

Kinda reminds me of when my Xbees would only work when bathed in alcohol.

Bartman

Now that we've got the wise-*** comments out of the way.....anyone else?

I left a message at Iftron and just sent an email. This is stupid that I'm still having video issues.

Bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
YO Bart, hi from Bavaria. just got internet.. wow...

May be you need to talk to Geoff at Quadcopters.co.uk he has had issues in the past but has sorted it.. It seems all to do with antenna placement

Dave

Bartman

thanks Dave,
I'll shoot him an email and see what he has to say.
enjoy yourself
bart

Crash

Defies Psychics
Could be placement. Open antennas like dipoles do have problems when they are near things that conduct.

Does it do it with just your finger or do other people's fingers have the magic touch?

Holey moley. I looked at the price of those things. They must have fantastic range for that price. How many miles can it go?

Bartman

Crash,
Other peoples' fingers also work. I found that out yesterday by having my client hold his finger there so i could shoot his solar project. good thing i worked with them for a little while last year so he knows me pretty well.
It's not every flight though and I think heat during use makes it worse.
I've heard back from Ira and he's got a theory what is causing it so I've got a small test to do tomorrow.
Bart

Macsgrafs

By placing your finger on the screw its adding stray capacitance, which kinda of says its an earthing problem? If it was a cheaper unit I would suggest you open the case a put a few capacitors from the ground/negative part of the PCB to the case!

Ross

Bartman

in speaking with Ira from Iftron I've been told that the problem comes from the thinnner PCB's they're now using. The slot in the case that holds the board is the same but the board is thinner so it's not grounding to the case. When it rattles in there the video goes blinky (as do I but the effect is multiplied!) so they're sending me a couple of silicone bumpers to put on the board which will hold it in place more tightly so the ground is more permanent.
I thought I had finally lost my mind when I had the video coming and going as I bumped the screw head with my finger. :confused::confused::confused:
onward and upward.
Bart

CopterCam

in speaking with Ira from Iftron I've been told that the problem comes from the thinnner PCB's they're now using. The slot in the case that holds the board is the same but the board is thinner so it's not grounding to the case. When it rattles in there the video goes blinky (as do I but the effect is multiplied!) so they're sending me a couple of silicone bumpers to put on the board which will hold it in place more tightly so the ground is more permanent.
I thought I had finally lost my mind when I had the video coming and going as I bumped the screw head with my finger. :confused::confused::confused:
onward and upward.
Bart

Good to hear you've got to the bottom of this problem................ always felt you're a well grounded individual:):)