Congressman who oversees FAA being investigated by FAA for wedding drone photography

maxwelltub

I know this guy, the pilot. He's the one getting investigated not the congressman. Word is the congressman didn't specifically request a multirotor. The only reason this person got flagged by the man is because of all the press around it.

kloner

Aerial DP
they are actively pursuing all leads on commercial use right now..... especially real estate sending out subpenas to find out how much was paid to who to film what..... it's a bad time to be working in the states now.

Sorry if this is a threadjack, but as someone who's been doing professional video production for years, and just now adding a drone to my toolset, can I ask what all the U.S. drone pros are doing right now in light of this? Kloner, are you still doing jobs and just crossing your fingers the FAA doesn't come after you? Are there steps one can take to protect yourself but keep working? Or is it game over man?

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm laying low awaiting an exemption from the faa..... they definately stepped up there game since the defeat in the pirker case. However, they are starting to give authorization to a lot of companies hence the enforcement i guess. Youtube and facebook seems to be there main means of monitoring it all, so if that is missing, most likely unless you hurt something/body you should be good using safe judgment... ie don't fly at airplanes, stay away from airports, keep it safe

if you want meat from the horses mouth, ask Drone Dudes the same question.... they have been actively defying the faa on tv and radio lately..... total disregard for any laws

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronan

I'm laying low awaiting an exemption from the faa..... they definately stepped up there game since the defeat in the pirker case. However, they are starting to give authorization to a lot of companies hence the enforcement i guess. Youtube and facebook seems to be there main means of monitoring it all, so if that is missing, most likely unless you hurt something/body you should be good using safe judgment... ie don't fly at airplanes, stay away from airports, keep it safe

if you want meat from the horses mouth, ask Drone Dudes the same question.... they have been actively defying the faa on tv and radio lately..... total disregard for any laws

My biggest gimp is the FAA makes it look like it has the authority to do what it is doing. I fail to see how this is legal.

Which law prohibits companies from using drones/suav/suas?
Which law prohibits individuals from using FPV equipment?

Can i stick a camera on my r/c plane or r/c helicopter and charge for it? Or it's only multirotors... 'cuz i saw in NY not a month ago a few individuals shooting a indie movie with a r/c helicopter and a gopro on it.

A lot of this smells to me, hmnn.

kloner

Aerial DP
it gets even lamer. With a private pilots license I can go up in a manned aircraft, take pictures and sell them but not from an unmanned aircraft.

There is no law, which is the problem. When federal entities get this much power and abuse it the way they have will not be in the publics best interest.

Because drone dudes have gone on such the defense i gotta guess they got a letter, but i haven't heard it. Copter Kids, freefly all do the same thing, lots of us have for years. Last week we were bidding a gig that had a full size aircraft in the script. The full size guy reported to the faa that the production company was gonna hire uas and the production company got a call. Being so "in the news" has made it impossible to get hired.... everybody thinks it's illegal which also is not the case either. It's a bad time to be operating in the US. Luckily Mexico isn't too far from here and there glad to have us down anytime. In the meantime were just prepping up rigs to get ready for work, engineering some new stuff, good time to be in the uas business right now, theres lots of REALLY BIG things out there to be invented, marketed, etc. with this emerging market.

The hollywood 7 are firing up an association to get people into legal unmanned aerial cinematography here shortly, assuming they adopt our submission and procedures. I don't have all the details yet but will let my homies all know when i do

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
..............The hollywood 7 are firing up an association to get people into legal unmanned aerial cinematography here shortly, assuming they adopt our submission and procedures. I don't have all the details yet but will let my homies all know when i do

it's gotta be aerial media....videos, photos, videos of photos, etc.....there's going to be more people doing photos alongside videos than any other business model once this all kicks off. advertising, research, real estate.....the market is going to be huge

kloner

Aerial DP
those are all way down the line when they figure out the privacy crap, in the meantime we will show em what these do in cinema within closed set