Can't seem to trigger compass calibration

gnapoleon

On an ARF QAV540 with Futaba controller (switch C is GPS/Attitude/Manual), I can't seem to trigger compass calibration. Also, I systematically get the three red of bad GPS satellites count. any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Bowley

also vary the start point ie gps or manual, i forget which it is, always have to faf about for a while before i get it as well. its 12 switches i think, not too quick as Pete says.

glacier51

I had the same problem, lack of consistent operation of the flight mode switch for calibration. I worked around it by programming another radio switch to go directly from GPS to MAN. My NAZA V1 takes exactly 7 flips every time now, starting from GPS. Radio is a DX8.

Just so I don't screw the pooch, after the calibration, I disable the switch. No hassles since I fly from the same field and only calibrate if I change something on board.

FlyGirl

But what's the exact necessary sequence? I can't do GPS->ATT->GPS->Manual the way it is, since GPS isn't in the center. Am I overthinking this?

A little bit yes.... My switch is GPS-ATT-Manual as well and I can do it. I wish I could tell you how but I can't. So, they say a picture is worth a thousand words so here is the vid I followed that gave me the clue on how to do it....

Last edited by a moderator:

glacier51

gnapoleon:
>None of these techniques work for us

OK, check this out. Connect up to assistant and flip through your flight mode switch, making sure each switch position is actually giving you the change of flight mode. Now it may be doing exactly that, but maybe you're just barely activating a flight mode change with that switch, but when trying to get to calibration NAZA isn't allowing it.

What I mean by the above is, when programming your TX radio for switch travel to make the flight mode change, each flight mode travel point in Assistant has a little window. You might be on the very edge of the GPS or Manual window with your setting. Say a 43% travel gets you GPS and it works/shows in Assistant but doesn't allow the correct travel for calibration.

Try going back into the flight mode setup in Assistant and play with the switch travel in your flight radio setting. You'll see that there's a bit of play to make NAZA change flight modes. Try to find the edges of that travel and then center the setting. Maybe that 43% is on the edge and 52% percent is the other edge. Both will get you a GPS flight mode in Assistant. So use 47-48% as the center. NAZA might recognize this easier.

Ron