Can't arm motors sort of

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
Naza V1 w/GPS, 3.16 firmware.

Went to fly today and did my normal CSC, Bottom left, bottom right. The VU is flashing double yellow. I verify all my switches are in correct position, no trim, etc, and still can't get it to arm.

When I get home I hook it up to the assistant, and all of the controls are working as expected. Failsafe is not engaged. However, GPS is no longer is functioning. Through trial and error I get the motors to arm using CSC bottom left, bottom left. No other combination of CSC will arm the motors. When the motors are running, I still have a double orange blink on the VU until I get to 50% throttle. Then I get a single orange blink.

I had a crash a while back, and had to replace two motors. After I installed the new motors I did a bench test and everything was fine. Also I did a test flight (mostly hover) in my yard, and no issues. Flew in atti and GPSX mode with the GPS holding relatively solid. Everything was as expected in the assistant including IOC, and GPS showing up as flight mode.

The only thing I can think of is the naza is fried and I need a new FC. The V2 is hellatiously expensive especially if your not going to use most of the features, and I'd rather not go on the hook for $420 if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
Sounds like it might not be seeing your radio? did you try to bind the TX with the RX?

The radio is bound, otherwise I would not see the controls moving in the assistant. Also just tried reloading the firmware, and that did not help.

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
Have you done a GPS calibration?
The Naza does not see the GPS. Prior to today the quad worked perfectly and the compass had been calibrated. The assistant won't open with a GPS enabled FC until the calibration has been done. I believe this is a new "feature" on 3.16 When I tried to do an advanced IMU calibration, I got a message saying the Naza was too hot and to let it cool down. The Naza was not warm, but I let it set for 20 minutes and tried again with the same results. I forgot to mention that, that's why I think the FC maybe fubar.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I was getting the to hot issue when doing the advanced calibration too. I left mine for a few hours then it went trough...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
Remove the GPS and see if that works. If so, it is the GPS puck that is damaged.
I tried that, unfortunately it made no difference. I sent a request to DJI support, hopefully they will shed some light on this.

RobertsUp

The double yellow flashes mean that the imu is initializing. It can take a while. "Warming Up" is misleading terminology and makes me think back to when televisions with vacuum tubes had to warm up before they could work. So long as there are yellow flashes, the motors cannot arm. I think that's a safety feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
The double yellow flashes mean that the imu is initializing. It can take a while. "Warming Up" is misleading terminology and makes me think back to when televisions with vacuum tubes had to warm up before they could work. So long as there are yellow flashes, the motors cannot arm. I think that's a safety feature.
That explains it. Unfortunately the double yellow flashes never stop. Looks like it's time to replace the Naza. UAV Products is selling the the Zenmuse H3-2D plus the Naza 2 for $699. I am leaning that way. BTW I remember black and white TV so I understand the reference:).

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
According to this, some of your sticks are not centered!

blinks_zpsb33faa27.png

Now that is the color you are seeing right? 2 yellow flashes before motor start?

Check you trims are center, no weird mixes and calibrate your sticks again..... Worth a try before blowing a ton of cash.

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
Thanks, unfortunately the assistant shows the sticks centered before and after calibration. Ordered the V2 with the Zenmuse. After three days of trying everything I could think of/Google I'm convinced the Naza died. It has survived a couple of pilot errors including one very hard landing from about 200 feet up, so no hard feelings about the Naza. I hope the V2 proves as reliable.

RobertsUp

If you live near a Dji dealer, the shop can test your FC. Century Heli in San Jose put my gps unit on their bench and their test proved the unit was bad.

Thanks, unfortunately the assistant shows the sticks centered before and after calibration. Ordered the V2 with the Zenmuse. After three days of trying everything I could think of/Google I'm convinced the Naza died. It has survived a couple of pilot errors including one very hard landing from about 200 feet up, so no hard feelings about the Naza. I hope the V2 proves as reliable.