19 year old killed by his RC Helicopter in NY

mongo

lost soul
not the first buy a few years, and one site, RR, suggest this is the 3rd heli related death this year. just waiting for some reporter to realize that that heli wasn't a "toy", it is a "drone".

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
not the first buy a few years, and one site, RR, suggest this is the 3rd heli related death this year. just waiting for some reporter to realize that that heli wasn't a "toy", it is a "drone".

Not even close to being a drone. Its as much a drone as a 3d plane

maxwelltub

I'm always amazed at the control people have when doing extreme 3d, but never want to stand anywhere close, even if they are really good. This is quite sad.

15crewdawg

Very sad. I feel for his father. The father brought him into the hobby. He must be totally devastated.
19 years old. Way too young.

It's unfortunate that folks have to be reminded in this way that these craft can be extremely dangerous.

kloner

Aerial DP
spoken from experience............... i've been hit a few times, just can't imagine flying 3d and having that thing come at you out of control..... i've always been a scale/sport guy and at least i could sort out the business end before they got to me....... rolling and flipping and coming at you has to be terrifying. i've stood on the tarmac spotting at 3d heli events and asked myself what i'm doing here. they try flying at themselves and popping it the other way..... it's part of the thrill

RIP flyer

15crewdawg

Yeah. A very bad experience.
And you know me, Steve. I've always been a stickler for safety.

It's always made me nervous when I see guys bringing their birds in close. At the speeds they are moving all it takes is a little blip and you're wearing it. Then you're riding in a Life-flight helicopter instead of flying one.
Hell, mine was sitting on the ground 20' away when I got hit. I remember that vid of one yours coming back into your storm door. Still makes me flinch.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Wow, very sad..
°~------------------------------------~°
Sent from my electronic telecommunications thingy using my fingers and this Tapatalk do jiggy.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Not even close to being a drone. Its as much a drone as a 3d plane

Look up the definition of the word drone.

Drone: noun

a remote-controlled pilotless aircraft or missile.
°~------------------------------------~°
Sent from my electronic telecommunications thingy using my fingers and this Tapatalk do jiggy.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Steve, i was thinking of that video you had where your heli sliced the screen door behind your head. That was you in that video right?

CdA D

What a tragic event! Not to minimize this in any way, but at least he was doing something he loved. I feel bad for his family.

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, i got hit one other time with a disco to..... 15 crew took an align trex 500 wide open into the face. he spent years recovering. probably still can't see like he used to but at least he's better looking now.

Kilby

Steve, i was thinking of that video you had where your heli sliced the screen door behind your head. That was you in that video right?

I hate to say it, but that was one of the first things I thought of as well when I heard about this yesterday. Very sad. I hope his dad can find some peace after the dust settles.

-Terry

kloner

Aerial DP
if i hadn't been flying and staring at the disk when it went i wouldnt have had a chance. it was like dodging an arrow, i blew through my front door frame and the rig wrapped up in a security door i was standing next to

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

We had a similar accident in Cyprus. A disorientation command sent a hovering 450 with wooden blades into this guys head. The first strike removed all of his teeth, the seconded smashed his cheek bone then the third broke his jaw. it then attacked his back and opened him up. 14 major operations later he was up and about again........ he was lucky to survive.

When guys are flying 3D with 700/800 size electric helis. I don't think anywhere nearby is safe when this kind of machinery is stressed to it's limit and pilots are stressed very often beyond theirs. Seen only a small number of heli accidents in comparison to the high numbers of fireball'd RC jets. One guy here did 160K (Euros) in one year trying to fly pro. built BVM stuff.