Brushless Gimbal for GH3

DennyR

The gimbal is only one part of the deal with Alexmos controller. It is also the easiest part to design. What you have to do to get it working with heavier cameras is to use motors that will work with a reasonable power setting i.e. around 200. FWIW I use the iflight 4006 motors wound with two strands of .20 wire and 85 turns to give 5.5 Ohms. That has enough torque to drive any DSLR camera that is properly balanced. If you want to use only one strand you are gonna need about .27 wire.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I'm learning (first RC flying machine) to fly my x8 with 8- 2814 avroto's and hoverfly pro. With gimbal & 2 - 5000 mAh 4s batteries, around 12 lbs.

I have a alexmos w/ 2 4006 iPower motors on a gimble built for the NEX5n.

I have a gh1, 2- gh2's, 1-gh3, & a 5D mkII. Experienced with camera's and video production but not much flying experience.

I've started with the gh1 (same size as gh2). My gimbal (from Gothelirc) is barely big enough (with top bracket taken off ) to hold gh1 (camera strap mounts had to be taken off.) Camera can point down, but limited on how much it can tilt up.

It took me a while to find some settings that would work and again, I'm new and learning.

The few times I've flown I've been very happy with 60p footage. Haven't flow in windy conditions. It will only be better with the gh2. I'm doing mostly slow flying and no abrupt moves so can't say if the iPower 4006 motors or the gimbal would be strong enough in wind or aggressive flying.

I've got a 2nd alexmos controller and going to build/buy another slightly larger gimbal and go with the iPower 4008's (at least on the roll). I'm confident these will handle most anything for the gh3. Not sure on 5D. 5D is only for photography, so not overly concerned at this point on the gimbal.

As others have said, getting the camera balanced (much like you would on a steadi cam) is paramount. Once balanced, there isn't that much stress on the brushless motors.

I do not think I'm optimized on my alexmos settings yet, but I have so many things to do and learn, the gimbal is only getting my part time attention.

The vast majority of gimbals being built right now are not for the gh2 size and up. However, I think some off the shelf setups are coming soon. There is some conversations about the upper limits on weight for the alexmos controller in regards to how large a motor they will handle. My hope is that most DSLR's are within the reliable limits of the motors and controller. So far, I don't see any real problems. But, I'm just not experienced enough of a flyer to really put it through it's paces, but since I'm looking for quality filming, floating and slow flying is what I'll do most and I see no problems with the iPower 4006's right now. With a larger gimbal, it may be an issue and hopefully the iPower 4008's will be enough.

It looks like controllers and motors are becoming readily available, so it won't be too long before we have choices.

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
I have ordered a GH3 size gimbal from HDAirStudio it due to be delivered soon based on a pre order. Will most likely use gimbal with a BlackMagic Pocket camera.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have ordered a GH3 size gimbal from HDAirStudio it due to be delivered soon based on a pre order. Will most likely use gimbal with a BlackMagic Pocket camera.

Can't wait to hear how you like it. I've been watching his progress and it looks pretty good.
I also have a BM Pocket cam on order (first on list at where I'm buying). However, there's no 60p anything mode on camera which may be problematic.

Hopefully you are on the first list for the HDAirStudio gimbal and will have it soon so you can share your thoughts on it.

Teco

I'm learning (first RC flying machine) to fly my x8 with 8- 2814 avroto's and hoverfly pro. With gimbal & 2 - 5000 mAh 4s batteries, around 12 lbs.

I have a alexmos w/ 2 4006 iPower motors on a gimble built for the NEX5n.

I have a gh1, 2- gh2's, 1-gh3, & a 5D mkII. Experienced with camera's and video production but not much flying experience.

I've started with the gh1 (same size as gh2). My gimbal (from Gothelirc) is barely big enough (with top bracket taken off ) to hold gh1 (camera strap mounts had to be taken off.) Camera can point down, but limited on how much it can tilt up.

It took me a while to find some settings that would work and again, I'm new and learning.

The few times I've flown I've been very happy with 60p footage. Haven't flow in windy conditions. It will only be better with the gh2. I'm doing mostly slow flying and no abrupt moves so can't say if the iPower 4006 motors or the gimbal would be strong enough in wind or aggressive flying.

I've got a 2nd alexmos controller and going to build/buy another slightly larger gimbal and go with the iPower 4008's (at least on the roll). I'm confident these will handle most anything for the gh3. Not sure on 5D. 5D is only for photography, so not overly concerned at this point on the gimbal.

As others have said, getting the camera balanced (much like you would on a steadi cam) is paramount. Once balanced, there isn't that much stress on the brushless motors.

I do not think I'm optimized on my alexmos settings yet, but I have so many things to do and learn, the gimbal is only getting my part time attention.

The vast majority of gimbals being built right now are not for the gh2 size and up. However, I think some off the shelf setups are coming soon. There is some conversations about the upper limits on weight for the alexmos controller in regards to how large a motor they will handle. My hope is that most DSLR's are within the reliable limits of the motors and controller. So far, I don't see any real problems. But, I'm just not experienced enough of a flyer to really put it through it's paces, but since I'm looking for quality filming, floating and slow flying is what I'll do most and I see no problems with the iPower 4006's right now. With a larger gimbal, it may be an issue and hopefully the iPower 4008's will be enough.

It looks like controllers and motors are becoming readily available, so it won't be too long before we have choices.

Where did you Buy you alexmoss controller?

jfro

Aerial Fun
Where did you Buy you alexmoss controller?

I got my first one from gothelicr with controller and gimbal.

2nd Alexmos controller came from CSG Shop which says it's in Florida, but they shipped from somewhere over seas. Took a while to get here. Haven't had time to check it out, but it appears to be the same as I got from gothelrc.

kloner

Aerial DP
jcmonty has a 2 axis gh3 setup that's amazing. everything we've shot from it has been money. were doing a 3 axis now from the same guy for the 5d

kloner

Aerial DP
we shot a contest video with it and are waiting for it to run it's course so we can... it's 4006 motors. totaly scaleable and cheap. uses gear reduction......

GraySky

Attachments

• 84330295.jpg
    84330295.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 388
  • 84330296.jpg
    84330296.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 317
  • 84330302.jpg
    84330302.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 290
Last edited by a moderator:

SamaraMedia

jcmonty has a 2 axis gh3 setup that's amazing. everything we've shot from it has been money. were doing a 3 axis now from the same guy for the 5d

Who is this jcmonty you speak of and where can you purchase said gimbal?

Thanks,

JW

kloner

Aerial DP
he's from here but he's not making or selling them. he's using the seismic c wave gimbal frames from rusty. there $120