Life Expectancy

Are there any accepted figures on the life expectancy of the components we use? I appreciate there are indicators which infer a loss of efficiency, but if you wanted to ensure your craft was always healthy, then you wouldn't want to wait to see the indicators.

Dewster

That's a good question. My DJI WKM miraculously survived a bad crash. I inspected the cables, test flew it on a small quad before putting it on my new Y6. I wonder about the longevity of the product. Lipos have a life span. The battery tech gets better, but after so many charges (also depending on how you maintain the batteries) their performance will taper off. Props must be inspected for wear, cracks, fatigue etc. No one has an answer of the life expectancy for props. It probably depends on how you fly with them. Hard, fast, and heavy loads will shorten the time span that you can safely use them vs. slow and easy flying. Some cheaply built frames may suffer fatigue and stress cracks depending on load and how often you have crashes or hard landings.

Props and lipo batteries are something you can expect to have a shortened life span just like tires on a car. I've had my flight system over a year. I only wonder if the barometric sensor has a life span. Is it effected by dust or pollen?

A good brushless motor should last a long time. They will definitely last longer than the likelihood of you crAshing your craft.

SDB777

I realize this is an older topic, but I was wondering if anyone has any better 'data' on motor lifespans?

Is there a way to 'test' a given motor to see if anything is wearing out, say by checking the impedance of the motor across the positive/negative leads.....

Scott (rather buy a motor then crash a camera) B

soler

I saw some information on a motor manufacturer specifying the mean time before failure, I think it was t-motor but I could be wrong. They stated a mean time before failure of around 160hrs,

Based on this and a optimistic 15 minutes flight each flight, that 640 flights. However some motors may go further then 160 hrs other less.

Checking for bearing wear, vibration and higher temps after flight will give a good indication if some thing is wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SDB777

That many....160 doesn't sound too awfully bad.
Considering the price of motors and then further considering what you typically have 'hanging underneath'......

Anyone now what the failure rate for the ESC's, move specifically....E300's?

Scott (millin', mowin' and grillin' - what a day)