Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

gnapoleon

I am trying to figure out if the pocket can be stabilized in an ASP gimbal. I am sure the Z15 is great but way too pricey.

Gbillerty

HI !

this thread picked up my attention... I have a question for you guys: We are planning to buy a 5D for for video shooting in-air and off-air but I have interest in that BlackMagic Pocket Camera...

Considering that our intention is to shoot videos/cinematic, would you guys suggest the BlackMagic or the 5D??? or it's not really comparable and I would have to buy bothc of them?$$$? heheh!

thanks,

Pat

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The 5d has no business in the air IMO. It's a name people associate with being professional. You spend more, you have WAY more weight, it's still H.264, the large sensor does nothing for aerial video other than maybe make it harder to focus with a fast lens, no 1080/60p, etc. Get a Gh3 or Sony A7 if you want a great all around camera. The BMPC seems to be a great camera as well but keep in mind its a heavier workflow for the RAW most people want it for and a serious crop factor so hopefully you have some really wide glass. I guarantee you no one will know the difference. I personally find it very annoying when a DP asks if I can fly a 5d when I know they are asking me without understanding why it is a completely unnecessary aerial camera. The person who flies a 5D is the same guy who says "I need a cinestar to fly an Epic and a 5D by next week and I've never flown but I just bought a Ladybird..... why did it crash?"

I think you are better going as small as possible unless you actually have paying clients that are using your footage for the big screen or other 4k needs. RAW is nice for the dynamic range no doubt but I still think it's hard to beat some of the smaller cameras out there. One thing I really like about the GH3 and the BMPC is that they have a non-H.264 option. I'm curious how well the pocket camera does with faster motion. The Black magic production cam has global shutter and that will do substantially better when put into post stab at 30fps compared to the BMCC and the BMPC.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
yeah, I'm pretty sure the Gh4 will be the next camera I buy. I'll happily wait for it. 240 fps @ ???? Man I hope it is at least HD. The rest of the specs are just awesome.

daniel

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 332
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 270
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 213
  • photo 4.jpg