Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

kloner

Aerial DP
Alright, see there stocking the shelves with the pocket cinemas, are all the bugs worked out now or are there still problems? Hows it working? Anybody get the 4k? well?

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
its supposed to do 4k? i keep reading 1080 which sucks because Id like to move on from my wee gopro and without higher res shots thats hard to justify.

Warmupper

We have the 2,5K mft Version as well, working great on a 3-achsis Brushless gimbal
with integrated HD SDI converter. I bought the BM right after the price drop.

anaka

We have a BM pocket and the cam is working without problems.
The 4K is still not out yet
HI Warmupper can you share some more infos?
what's your impression on the general quality?
how do you manage the focus?
wich lenses are you using?
have some video test?

i'm very attracted by that model

Kari

Bmpcc works really nice here too. Using it with panasonic 7-14mm and 12-35 all fantastic results after few jobs done with it. Trying to get remote focus and trgger working later this week.

Warmupper

Same here.

Sure. We use the pocket with a modified Zenmuse with Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm, Rokinon 7,5mm and Panasonic 12-35mm. Focus to infinity. The ProRes 10bit Footage looks great. And the dynamic range is awesome. Also very good low light quality, with only little noise at 800ISO and cine gamma. We just did a night shot for a feature film, but I'm not allowed to publish it yet. Send me a PN, then I send you a private link.

You need at least 3-4 fast 64GB cards, because the bit rate is so high. 6min recording is about 10GB. And you need at least 10 batteries. After 20min your battery is empty :(

For the size and price the best cam in its class. Beats the GH3 and even the Mark III with RAW hack by far, because of the dynamic range. Minus is the crop factor 2,88 but we can handle this with our lenses. I'm looking forward to the FW update to shoot RAW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kari

You need at least 3-4 fast 64GB cards, because the bit rate is so high. 6min recording is about 10GB. And you need at least 10 batteries. After 20min your battery is empty :(

I have wired the power from gimbal battery which works great.

anaka

that's cool kari
how to do it? you easily connect to the camera power-in or you need to modify the hardware in some way?

anaka

We use the pocket with a modified Zenmuse with Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm, Rokinon 7,5mm and Panasonic 12-35mm. Focus to infinity.

I have a couple of questions more, I have several panasonic lenses, the most modern ones introduced with the GH2 model, I'd like to know if the Mega O.I.S. from these lenses is working also with blackmagic

one more question, did you had any test on the mikrokopter LANC control on blackmagic? is it possible to choose wich part of the camera to remote with the LANC channels?

Kari

Just power in connector to camera and it keeps camera battery charged. OIS works only with newest panasonic lenses which have separate on/off button for ois. For example ois in 14-42 does not work. What comes to lanc, bm rec/f-stop/focus are in different functions "channels" than sony lanc, so lanc functions needs to be reassigned to work correctly.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Updated this morning. Once started, it was over 15 minutes. Make sure you have a full battery!

I didn't do a stress test, buy both my 95/mbs and 80/mbs 64GB cards worked...

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have an old Canon Lanc controller. The only thing it controls is start and stop recording on the BMPC.
Exposure, focus, zoom, etc, didn't work.

FYI. By no means is this an endorsement or recommendation, but I just did a little 3 minute stress test on a target I've used on my hacked GH2's and I was able to record raw on my 80mb/s extreme class 10 Sandisk 64gb card. It used to be almost 1/2 price of the 95mb/s extreme pro 64gb card. Now the dif is only around $37. The 95mb's have come way down in price compared to 6-12 months ago.

Bottom line is it looks promising that the less expensive card may work. Since I have 1 of each, I'll wait a few months to see if others get it to work and then buy another.

Kari

will the lanc control do focus and zoom on any lenses? which ones?

Lanc in bmpcc supports at least rec on/off, iris open, iris close, auto iris, focus close, focus far, "auto" focus. I have all other working now via rc, but having problems with focus close/ focus far commands. Camremote supports bmpcc at the moment, but will need some small tweaking to settings and GENTwire will support bmpcc very soon.