Bizarre Toilet Bowl Blues !

Eoin

Hi all,
I have some shots to do tomorrow with my Zenmuse, so today I took the S800 out for a spin to make sure everything was in working condition. I've been very happy with it's performance up till now. It was nicely dialed in and position hold was very good. The last time I flew her was Monday and everything was fine. Today was a totally unexpected experience. There was a moderate breeze, the S800 was twitching like I have never seen before, almost uncontrollable, and GPS hold had an ever enlarging toilet bowl effect. I couldn't dial her in with the gains, the twitching never stopped and 3 compass calibrations had no effect on the toilet bowl. So I took her back inside and did a default reset, setting everything up again. This time I was able to dial in the twitching (though to be honest it still wasn't as good as I have had it before) but I still had a GPS toilet bowl. I checked GPS forward and backward tracking, adjusted the GPS disc position to match the degree of track, did another compass calibration and, wow ! Best GPS hold I have ever had. Rock Solid. However, happy that I was good to go for tomorrow, I thought I'd better do a quick waypoint check just to be sure. Waypoints went flawlessly (excellent, in fact) until I decided to call her home. As soon as I hit Go Home in the ground station . . . . The biggest toilet bowl effect I have ever encountered ! About 40 feet in radius and getting bigger. Took over manually and landed safely, but . . . What the F*** ?
Am flying 5.16, S800, Zen, Nex 7. Only thing I have changed since perfect
performance on Monday was balance on the Zen for different lens.
Any ideas ?
Thanks
Eoin

Last edited by a moderator:

Dubliners

What the F*** - is it FECK?
Sorry I cant help you there Eoin, but Ill be watching your post as Ive been getting brave enough to load the Zen& NEX 7 onboard to fly proper weight. Best of luck with the shoot, and let me know about the "item" if you need help with it. Neville

Eoin

I had a few TBs I found off setting my gps to the back fixed it..
Thanks nytram,
Do you mean you actually physically offset it or in software ?
I'm not sure why this would happen when absolutely nothing on the machine changed except a lens.

nytram

No I moved mine back. It was in the Center now it's mounted on one of the armsView attachment 8714

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357479544.915573.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357479544.915573.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 235

Does TB effect happen while maintaining a constant altitude or when quickly changing altitude?
IMHO - The coriolis effect can occur when their is thermal activity or when an aircraft is rapidly changing altitude.
In hot air ballooning the pilot can determine whether or not he is rising in a thermal by whether or not his balloon rotates while ascending.