DJI Will Release iPad Ground Station and iPhone WKM Assistant Software

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
What could be interesting is that you could be able to brake out an UART connection from this bluetooth module that is connected to the micro usb port. Use the UART get rid of the Bluetooth module and connect ti an xbee. Have an xbee on the ground and use a brake out board to connect an bluetooth module. Connect you IOS device via bluetooth to the bluetooth module on the ground and let the communication for longer distances be made over the xbee modules.

That the way its done with the AQ FC and make more sense. Xbee modules dependent on the version have ranges up to 6 7 8 miles.

Boris

HEX junky

I think the Bluetooth module will link to their existing datalink, so 2-3km with 2.4ghz or 6-10km with 900mhz (900mhz not allowed in Europe). So, iPad Bluetooth to BT module, BT module connects to Datalink, Datalink 2.4ghz on multirotor about 2km.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I think the Bluetooth module will link to their existing datalink, so 2-3km with 2.4ghz or 6-10km with 900mhz (900mhz not allowed in Europe). So, iPad Bluetooth to BT module, BT module connects to Datalink, Datalink 2.4ghz on multirotor about 2km.

In the video they state that it is connected to the micro USB port on the USB and that range will be 100 meter Bluetooth 4 or something ! Only way try to connect to that serial port on the USB device and bridge out to a better solution.

VINHEX

That's what I was worried about Bluetooth max 250 mtr if lucky... I think I understand what your saying Hex but what is a BT Module? Will be interesting for sure to see what comes of it..

ChrisViperM

The Assistent software for mobile phones might be a nice gimmick for quickly altering gains in the Wookong/Naza.... IF you find a micro-USB Bluetoth Module. So far I could not find any....I guess surprisingly DJI will come up with one for a couple of $$$...but even if I find one, Bluetooth is not Bluetooth....and I can sing some songs of Bluetooth crap not working together and fideling for hours to get these damn things going. Bluetooth was a fail straight from the beginning, it was supposed to be a "universial" language to enable electronic devices of all kinds to communicate with each other, but the standards (which have to be necessary) are so wide open that everyone was cooking his own soup, resulting in millions of incompatible devices....and Bluetooth will be replaced anyway soon:

http://hexus.net/tech/news/network/39909-bluetooth-replacement-1000-times-faster/
http://newtech.about.com/od/techinnovation/a/Wi-Fi-Direct.htm

Another thing is latency....if you check the 2nd vid (Assistent app) at 1:00 where the bloke is playing with the control sticks and how long it takes until that movements are shown on the iPhone, I don't want to know how that is working on the Groundstation App.

I will stick with my Laptop...works rock solid and doesn't give me headache....just can't wait for the first vids where some genius is piloting his copter with his iPhone and a call is coming in: ....uh, just wait....can't talk right now...ooops.....my copter just crashes....will phone you back...

Chris

VINHEX

The Assistent software for mobile phones might be a nice gimmick for quickly altering gains in the Wookong/Naza.... IF you find a micro-USB Bluetoth Module. So far I could not find any....I guess surprisingly DJI will come up with one for a couple of $$$...but even if I find one, Bluetooth is not Bluetooth....and I can sing some songs of Bluetooth crap not working together and fideling for hours to get these damn things going. Bluetooth was a fail straight from the beginning, it was supposed to be a "universial" language to enable electronic devices of all kinds to communicate with each other, but the standards (which have to be necessary) are so wide open that everyone was cooking his own soup, resulting in millions of incompatible devices....and Bluetooth will be replaced anyway soon:

http://hexus.net/tech/news/network/39909-bluetooth-replacement-1000-times-faster/
http://newtech.about.com/od/techinnovation/a/Wi-Fi-Direct.htm

Another thing is latency....if you check the 2nd vid (Assistent app) at 1:00 where the bloke is playing with the control sticks and how long it takes until that movements are shown on the iPhone, I don't want to know how that is working on the Groundstation App.

I will stick with my Laptop...works rock solid and doesn't give me headache....just can't wait for the first vids where some genius is piloting his copter with his iPhone and a call is coming in: ....uh, just wait....can't talk right now...ooops.....my copter just crashes....will phone you back...

Chris

Me too

Jodde73

Approved for App Store?!?

My friends are throwing a party for 70 people this x-mas and have made an crazy surreal app just for this little event.
It's on app store and it's approved.....

Please tell me that they have actually submitted this to Apple and have it approved for the App Store. Otherwise, it will require a jailbreak and will be useless for 95% of the people that want it.

Can anyone confirm? It's not in the app store as of yet which makes me wonder.

Kilby

There is a big difference between a brochure app for a party, and one that uses outside resources (bluetooth modules, datalink, etc) for it's operation. I run a mobile development shop out of Baltimore, and I've been submitting apps to Apple since the first year they started taking them. Apple could care less about someone throwing a party that wants to make a novelty app for the guests, but they get deeply involved in the operation of an app that links to outside resources, and could potentially control a drone. Trust me, I just spent the last 6 months trying to get 1 app approved.

Approved for App Store?!?

My friends are throwing a party for 70 people this x-mas and have made an crazy surreal app just for this little event.
It's on app store and it's approved.....

Kilby

This should be in android as well. Can it have video feed too?

If the iOS version works out, I'm sure they would release an Android version. Neither the Ground Station or the Assistant software have a live feed, you would have to set up your own FPV for that.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Who knows.. cant way um up. When they shout out like that about products then dont follow it up.

Also tad disappointing no one fromDJI answers question on here.

Dave