DJI Will Release iPad Ground Station and iPhone WKM Assistant Software

uavservices

Steve (saabguy from RCG)
I like the idea for sure, I don't mind reduced range for blue tooth as I would use it to change my basic and atti gains without having to unplug stuff from my MC.

I would be a buyer if it was <50$ for the onboard blue tooth adapter. That would pocket them 42$ per bluetooth adapter for development cost recovery.

I would also like to see the blue tooth module swappable so I can plop it on either of my two (soon to be three) WKM's

As an aside note is there any way we can send in our existing GPS and have it upgraded to Verson 2.0 for WKM?

Steve

Tahoe Ed

No one knows. My guess is that it will be a few months. I don't think that the Naza will work with this, WKM only.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Now I have a question, WHY would you want to fly with an iPad or and iPhone or any phone for that matter? What are the advantages? What do you get out of that that you dont get with a controller? I guess I don't get it, what fun is that? Are you a surveyor? Do you search for good oil well sights? Inspect forests for deforestation? :D

Tahoe Ed

Now I have a question, WHY would you want to fly with an iPad or and iPhone or any phone for that matter? What are the advantages? What do you get out of that that you dont get with a controller? I guess I don't get it, what fun is that? Are you a surveyor? Do you search for good oil well sights? Inspect forests for deforestation? :D

The iPhone app will allow you to adjust settings while in flight. The iPad app with the bluetooth to usb adaptor will allow you to use the Data Link to control the craft. This is my understanding of what DJI has under development. No one knows as it is just an announcement of a future feature and no one has seen it other than DJI.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Tahoe Ed, I guess I was trying to get more of a feel for what you'd use this setup for? That's why I was asking about surveying and all that. I can't imagine this being for sport flying or anything that requires fast reaction times. So what's the point of it? You can already see in the video when he's on the iPad that he's having to dismiss alerts and messages that pop up. So what happens when your alarm clock goes off on your tablet and kicks you out of that app or if your iPad freezes up, then what? I'm just not sure that there's a big market out there and if there is I'd be curious to know what it is, obviously they are pouring money into developing it so there has to be some market for it out there. So my basic question so I understand is, what are people going to be using this iPad type setup for with multicopters? Just a question, not trying to rain on anyone's parade or anything.

Tahoe Ed

Tahoe Ed, I guess I was trying to get more of a feel for what you'd use this setup for? That's why I was asking about surveying and all that. I can't imagine this being for sport flying or anything that requires fast reaction times. So what's the point of it? You can already see in the video when he's on the iPad that he's having to dismiss alerts and messages that pop up. So what happens when your alarm clock goes off on your tablet and kicks you out of that app or if your iPad freezes up, then what? I'm just not sure that there's a big market out there and if there is I'd be curious to know what it is, obviously they are pouring money into developing it so there has to be some market for it out there. So my basic question so I understand is, what are people going to be using this iPad type setup for with multicopters? Just a question, not trying to rain on anyone's parade or anything.

Me neither. Nobody knows what the features and benefits will be with the iPad app. What was shown on the initial video was a beta version full of issues I am sure. The production version will be much better if DJI lives up to its prior history.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Well, that makes sense I guess. I can't wait to see what people use it for. My thinking was like when I bought my hexacopter, I knew a thousands times over what I was going to do with it and all the uses it would have, surveying, tracking poachers, search and rescue and so on...oh well. I guess we'll just have to wait :)

DJI has released the Naza-M firmware 3.16, the BTU module and the iOSD mini

BTU Module

The Naza-M now provides assistant software for iPhone4s, iPhone5, iPad3, iPad4, iPadmini, iPod5. You can do parameter adjustments at any time on your mobile devices, using only the BTU with a built-in Bluetooth module which makes it easier and convenient. It uses low power Bluetooth to minimize the power consumption of your mobile devices. It is easy to use and will automatically save your last connection records. The password mechanism ensures your safety link. Parameters can be automatically synchronized to the Cloud Server and can be restored immediately when you changed your mobile devices.

Built-in Bluetooth(4.0)
Working Temperature: -10℃~+50℃
Communication Distance: 50m
Weight: 17g
Power Consumption: 240mw(0.04A@6V)

iOSD mini

The Naza-M now supports iOSD Mini. This will undoubtedly give you a fantastic FPV flight performance. Depending upon DJI’s accumulation of historic and reliable information integration technology, the iOSD Mini can grab the most accurate first-hand flight data information in the shortest possible time.

Voltage: 6V
Working Temperature: -20℃~+60℃
Video Input/Output Mode: PAL/NTSC(automatically recognize)
Weight: 14g
Working Current (Typical Value): 180mA@6V

The new firmware supports Bluetooth adjustment.

What’s new?

Firmware

Parameter configuration by NM Assistant is supported. (BTU module is required. Download the App software from iOS App store or scan the QR code to get the download link.)

iOSD mini supported.

S-bus II receiver supported.

Optimize the warming up condition, to avoid a long wait period before aircraft can takeoff.
Software

Add tips for IMU Advanced calibration time out.
Manual

Add connection diagrams when used with other DJI products.

Notices:

Make sure to reconfigure all parameters in the assistant software after upgrading firmware, since V3.16 upgrade will reset all parameters.
For safety reason, do not use power battery during firmware upgrade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOBNheiXbMQ

Last edited by a moderator:

DJI has released the Naza-M firmware 3.16, the BTU module and the iOSD mini

BTU Module

The Naza-M now provides assistant software for iPhone4s, iPhone5, iPad3, iPad4, iPadmini, iPod5. You can do parameter adjustments at any time on your mobile devices, using only the BTU with a built-in Bluetooth module which makes it easier and convenient. It uses low power Bluetooth to minimize the power consumption of your mobile devices. It is easy to use and will automatically save your last connection records. The password mechanism ensures your safety link. Parameters can be automatically synchronized to the Cloud Server and can be restored immediately when you changed your mobile devices.

Built-in Bluetooth(4.0)
Working Temperature: -10℃~+50℃
Communication Distance: 50m
Weight: 17g
Power Consumption: 240mw(0.04A@6V)

iOSD mini

The Naza-M now supports iOSD Mini. This will undoubtedly give you a fantastic FPV flight performance. Depending upon DJI’s accumulation of historic and reliable information integration technology, the iOSD Mini can grab the most accurate first-hand flight data information in the shortest possible time.

Voltage: 6V
Working Temperature: -20℃~+60℃
Video Input/Output Mode: PAL/NTSC(automatically recognize)
Weight: 14g
Working Current (Typical Value): 180mA@6V

The new firmware supports Bluetooth adjustment.

What’s new?

Firmware

Parameter configuration by NM Assistant is supported. (BTU module is required. Download the App software from iOS App store or scan the QR code to get the download link.)

iOSD mini supported.

S-bus II receiver supported.

Optimize the warming up condition, to avoid a long wait period before aircraft can takeoff.
Software

Add tips for IMU Advanced calibration time out.
Manual

Add connection diagrams when used with other DJI products.

Notices:

Make sure to reconfigure all parameters in the assistant software after upgrading firmware, since V3.16 upgrade will reset all parameters.
For safety reason, do not use power battery during firmware upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator: