Batteries

gtranquilla

RadioActive
One rumor I heard from a dealer is that the larger capacity batteries are made once the order has been placed and not before..... and there are some larger capacity batteries that have more stringent shipping restrictions, e.g., 10Amp and higher capacities.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
One rumor I heard from a dealer is that the larger capacity batteries are made once the order has been placed and not before..... and there are some larger capacity batteries that have more stringent shipping restrictions, e.g., 10Amp and higher capacities.
I have seen one vendor ship big LiPos with fake covers to conceal their true capacity to (apparently) get around some regional restrictions on shipping big batteries. :-/

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Interesting..... it only takes one regional carrier with regulations more strict than all the others to bring LiPo shipments to a complete stand-still!!!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I want to use a 3S gimbal controller, is it better to get an additional battery or some kind of voltage regulator or step down from 6S to 3S? If so what would that be? Also, if I had some sort of voltage regulator that went fro 6S to 3S would it also work with 4S to 3S?

I have a regulator similar to THIS. Mine was a little pricier, but allows me to sweep to the voltage I want - and I test with a multimeter when I switch up the power source. When reading about gimbal tuning I've often seen mention of problems with the performance when the voltage dips or isn't solid. It's a cheap and easy fix. Although I think there are some drawbacks to using SEPIC, but from what I can tell, the pros outweigh the cons.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Voltage regulators help to regulate the output voltage relative to input battery voltage level to some extent. But also many of the BGC boards offer a voltage sensing circuit or require simple addition of a v-divider circuit(2 resistors), i.e., to sense battery voltage level and adjust the BG motor output torque as battery voltage drops. Here is another option for a low price: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/141018884953?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I thought the idea with SEPIC was that it helps do what you're talking about but before the board. Honestly not sure how well it works other than I have had no issues with it. I havent tested it when the batteries dip below the nominal voltage. But it works for stepping it down for sure.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I just looked up SEPIC now..... looks good..... cuts both ways......to achieve the desired output voltage. Most others only drop the voltage.... some with older technology that results in some wasted heat energy.... newer do it digitally and much more efficiently. dial output types need to be fixed to one position to avoid damage to the load electronics.

I used Max Amps. But price a little expensive, and seems the C rate not so high as marked.....so turn to other brand.

Why is it everyone seems to overlook the Max Amps batteries? I understand China products are cheaper but the best battery performance I've obtained to date have been using Max Amps. Their stuff was also selected over any other to power a pretty high end UAV normally driven using a gas engine in exploration of electrical propulsion systems. The numbers provided by Thunderpower make it appear their energy density is higher than Max Amps but reality hasn't supported the claim.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
One test flight on the Turnigy Multistar batteries. So far so good. Took 13 minutes to get to 15V with 4S 5000 20C, and 19 minutes on the new 4S 8000 10C batteries. 46% more time, 60% more battery capacity. The weight seems to match what they say. We'll see if these get better after a few cycles.

Most others only drop the voltage.... some with older technology that results in some wasted heat energy.... newer do it digitally and much more efficiently.

Careful. The "older technology" you are talking about are linear regulators. Linear regulators have some very, very strong advantages compared to switching regulators, and still have a place in some applications. Linear regulator advantages are (for good ones):

1) Far more reliable, with MTBF >>10,000 hours.
2) Much lower output voltage noise and fluctuation.
3) Much much lower dropout voltage. That is, the minimum voltage headroom required.
4) Better performance when dropout voltage is violated. Many switchers will just shut down. Linear's will just suffer a V/V output reduction.

When considering power a flight controller or VTx with relatively low power requirements, the power loss of the linear regulator is meaningless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Check out the new Hobby King high-energy-density LiPos. The green ones marketed for Multirotors. They are about 20-30% more energy dense than the 20C Turnigy's, which themselves are a little better than a 65C rated battery.

I've got a set of 4 on their way to me, can't wait to try them.
@R_Lefebvre; Are you referring to the HK Multistar's?

Edit: Never mind. I read through the entire thread and yes, that's what you are referring to. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

fltundra

Picked up an Icharger.
IR readings 10AH4S Multistar 10C.
Continuous current [A]: 141.4
voltage drop per cell [V]: 0.424 total voltage drop [V]: 1.697
Continuous C rating: 14.1C

Attachments

• 20140814_164914.jpg
    20140814_164914.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 20140814_164924.jpg
    20140814_164924.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 151

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Alot have been saying that the Multistars probably can't deliver the goods. Mine does, tests out at 14.1C.
Means it can deliver 141 amps without damage.:tennis:

I like my icharger quite a bit. That IR function is killer.

good news on the multistar batteries. At this point they are all fairly small in the 6S category - hoping they make some larger packs soon to try.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Alot have been saying that the Multistars probably can't deliver the goods. Mine does, tests out at 14.1C.
Means it can deliver 141 amps without damage.:tennis:

Cool. So how does that charger do continuous amperage? 141A is a lot to pass.