Basic Setup Instructions for FrSky Taranis, X8R and Naza-M V2

eszaflik

wow so much info. idk where id be if i hadnt found this. the taranis radio has had me to the point of demolishing it but it is such a great radio. anyways, down to business. i have a couple of questions. the naza is a new controller to me and its been a little headache with the taranis as well. First, in the assistent software my sticks dont go from -1000 to 1000. rudder only goes up to 999, and aileron goes from -834 to 997. is this a huge problem? i have done both calibrations in the softeware and the tx. no change. the sticks are centered its just the numbers that worry me. next, i want to set so my right slider is gains control during flight. i have read through this whole thread and nobody has mentioned a single thing about it. from what i hear it is possible, do you guys know how to set it up? i dont want ioc. its just stupid,so no ioc wont be a problem. i also would like to know how to set up the tx so it knows my quadcopters battery voltage. i have set a switch to read it out for me (A1 is the setting to read that voltage out?) but it reads off a wrong number. also is a motor check available with the naza lite softeware? i cant seem to find it. and lastly how do i arm? lol guys you did a crap ton of works here and i really appreciate it. thanks in advance for any help.:tennis:

gringers

Preoccupied
Let's work backwards from the last question:
You arm motors by executing CSC - http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Combination_Stick_Command
If it doesn't arm the motors then yes, those numbers could be causing a problem, especially the aileron one. Did you set up a completely new model on the Taranis and are therefore aware of whether you changed any other settings? Did you change endpoints in the servos menu?
For remote gains and no IOC, map the CH6 source to 'RS' instead of a three position switch as per the first post in this thread. Then assign it (X2) to remote adjustment in the gain section of the assistant software.

lucas001

Hey guys, first time posting here, awesome guide to set up the Taranis, I have a phantom 2 with the H3-3d gimbal, I did everything you guys said but I haven't did a real test with it yet.. everything seems to work fine except for one thing... when I turn on the phantom and leave the throttle stick at the lower position it will turn off the motors after a few seconds... if I put the throttle up it will stay but what happen if I'm, for example are trying to return home and leave the throttle down will it just turn off the motors straight away during flight? have I missed anything? did anyone know what is wrong or is this how it is? thanks a bunch.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
The Naza will detect that it is flying and assume that motors still need to be running, they should not shut down.

Pete

chipwich

Hey guys, first time posting here, awesome guide to set up the Taranis, I have a phantom 2 with the H3-3d gimbal, I did everything you guys said but I haven't did a real test with it yet.. everything seems to work fine except for one thing... when I turn on the phantom and leave the throttle stick at the lower position it will turn off the motors after a few seconds... if I put the throttle up it will stay but what happen if I'm, for example are trying to return home and leave the throttle down will it just turn off the motors straight away during flight? have I missed anything? did anyone know what is wrong or is this how it is? thanks a bunch.

If you are flying home normally, then you won't have the throttle at 0, and if it in Failsafe mode, the NAZA will be in control. As long as your throttle is calibrated in Assistant, you should be good to go.

Maddog

Thanks gringers, for such a detailed explanation of the set up for the frsky Tananis i am waiting on my delivery of this transmitter to build with my new dji F550 naza m v2 and have been looking for some easy step by step guide to setting it up. because a lot of ones i have seen only tell you about setting up the gps atti and manual modes they don't say about the course lock and home lock.

quadman101

I have bound my X9D successfully to X8R, Green light. X8R Sbus connection to naza v2 x2 port. PMU to x3 port. EXP to EXP on naza MC and LED to LED on naza MC. TBS esc plugged into naza MC M1-4. My LED flashes G,Y,R which its meant to, the flashes orange.. I cant get motors to run. BUT if I take a motor connector out and plug it straight into the X8R 1-4 port, the motor will run.

When I plug the Naza LED into my PC the LED light goes green and nothing happens in the assistant? Yet I look at my channel monitor and all sticks are working and ch 1to7.

m pretty sure my TX is set right as I have checked that many times. Hope someone can help. Thanks

gringers

Preoccupied
When I plug the Naza LED into my PC the LED light goes green and nothing happens in the assistant? Yet I look at my channel monitor and all sticks are working and ch 1to7.

m pretty sure my TX is set right as I have checked that many times.

Don't quite understand this bit....nothing happens in the assistant? At all? If so, how can you tell the tx is calibrated right?

You are executing CSC presumably? :p

quadman101

Don't quite understand this bit....nothing happens in the assistant? At all? If so, how can you tell the tx is calibrated right?

You are executing CSC presumably? :p

I have a new taranis x9. I followed the thread number 1 with instructions to set mixers, and that direction. That's all I have done with TX.

I have wired up my quad with X8R RX. Using Sbus port to X2 port in naza MC.

Then I bound the tx like thread 1. Flashing lights on rx then turned off both TX - RX, then power on. Solid green light on rx. ALl good so far??

Then I plug the USB cord supplied from naza, from the naza LED to my PC. Then open the assist software that I downloaded.

This Is where I am up too. So nothing is happening on the assist.

Do I have to calibrate ESC? don't think so. The PMU powers the naza.

vellocer

I have a new taranis x9. I followed the thread number 1 with instructions to set mixers, and that direction. That's all I have done with TX.

I have wired up my quad with X8R RX. Using Sbus port to X2 port in naza MC.

Then I bound the tx like thread 1. Flashing lights on rx then turned off both TX - RX, then power on. Solid green light on rx. ALl good so far??

Then I plug the USB cord supplied from naza, from the naza LED to my PC. Then open the assist software that I downloaded.

This Is where I am up too. So nothing is happening on the assist.

Do I have to calibrate ESC? don't think so. The PMU powers the naza.

You need to download the drivers also.

PCMAerial

Having a problem with Taranis/H3-3D Zenmuse tilt control setup also. Got my gimbal installed and it functions great, but I can't get the tilt control to work.

Got the RS slider set to Channel 5. But nothing when I move the slider. Gimbal control is ON in naza v2 assistant. But my X1 isn't showing up at all?

No calibration for X1, and X2 works but nothing with X1. Seems like a simple troubleshoot to get my tilt working but can't seem to figure it out

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Having a problem with Taranis/H3-3D Zenmuse tilt control setup also. Got my gimbal installed and it functions great, but I can't get the tilt control to work.

Got the RS slider set to Channel 5. But nothing when I move the slider. Gimbal control is ON in naza v2 assistant. But my X1 isn't showing up at all?

No calibration for X1, and X2 works but nothing with X1. Seems like a simple troubleshoot to get my tilt working but can't seem to figure it out

i connected mine for my Tarot gimbal directly to the output of an open RX (X8R) channel and it seems to work well.

PCMAerial

i connected mine for my Tarot gimbal directly to the output of an open RX (X8R) channel and it seems to work well.

Thanks Scott. So what type of wire did you connect to the RX? I don't have many options from the Zenmuse that I know of. Not sure where it would connect to the rx unless I've just set it up wrong. Here's a pic of my Rx/GCU (Sloppy from pulling apart)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 423

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Scott. So what type of wire did you connect to the RX? I don't have many options from the Zenmuse that I know of. Not sure where it would connect to the rx unless I've just set it up wrong. Here's a pic of my Rx/GCU (Sloppy from pulling apart)

Sorry, forgot that the zenmuse has proprietary cables. The tarot is done with a basic servo wire. I am about to set up a zenmuse myself - if I figure anything out before you do - I definitely post my results.

PCMAerial

Sorry, forgot that the zenmuse has proprietary cables. The tarot is done with a basic servo wire. I am about to set up a zenmuse myself - if I figure anything out before you do - I definitely post my results.

Ahh no problem I will keep looking. You may find it out before I do lol. Thanks man!

PCMAerial

So I've toggled quite a bit and still nothing works to control tilt. I've noticed my SBUS goes to X2 on the Naza, and also I have pictures of the Naza assistant below. Gimbal control is on.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

(Unplugged LED to show the SBUS and X1/X2 ports)

attachment.php

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 3.49.26 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 3.49.26 PM.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 325
  • Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 3.49.48 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 3.49.48 PM.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 365
  • photo 1(2).jpg
    photo 1(2).jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 326
  • photo 2(2).jpg
    photo 2(2).jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 364
  • photo 3(1).jpg
    photo 3(1).jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 349

PCMAerial

Hey guys, still working on solving the issue above. Thanks so much to this site and the folks attempting to help me out, still have not solved this (simple) problem

Taranis X9D, Naza v2(Wired SBUS), Zenmuse 3d

All connected and powered up. Gimbal is on and running. My Ch5 set to "RS" slider for tilt control. Except there is NO tilt control. there is NO X1 calibration in Naza. Anyone possibly know what the heck is causing me to not find X1 at all anywhere? I can toggle every switch on my Taranis and I see no X1 movement in Naza. Frustrating as hell!

Thx!

PCMAerial

Update:

After trying this all on a new MBP, and a buddy's PC. I went out and got an old laptop PC with windows 7. Loaded up Naza firmware and BOOM. X1 Calibration all of a sudden is now moving and in action. Tilt control is set. Moves super fast so I will have to research some tuning input, but damnit it's finally there. Could not have figured out things without this site. Great thread Gringers and thanks to [MENTION=11354]Motopreserve[/MENTION] and everyone else who gave me some suggestions.

Can't believe all it took was a different PC with Naza firmware. Tore my rig apart, rewired everything, and all it needed was a different computer. Very odd, but I guess that's what we get. Thanks so much guys and sorry for clogging a great thread!!