Basic Setup Instructions for FrSky Taranis, X8R and Naza-M V2

chipwich

You should connect the S-Bus port on the X8R to the X2 port on the NAZA. Disconnect the any other RX to NAZA servo cables. Set the NAZA to D-Bus in receiver type in Assistant. On your transmitter setup, make sure that under Model Setup that the Mode is set to D16 and that the channel range to CH1-8 (like first post in this thread). Then try the motor test again in Assistant.

multiman

Just did as you said
Im all hooked up but Im getting an error message popping up on the Assistant it said: X1-EER
(You've Chosen parameters tuning by X1/X2 channel with knob,but no signal detected on X1/X2 input channel,or TX didnt power on)

Also tried motor test again and nothing

Plus when I change to the D-Bus setting all the calibration of the sticks etc is gone
And the Assistant does no seem to recognize any input from the transmitter or receiver/controller like it did when I had it hooked up in the tradition receiver type with all the servo wires connected

Last edited by a moderator:

chipwich

On the Basic -> Gain page in Assistant, try setting the Remote Adjust to INH. It sounds like you have one of them set to X2, which you are using for S-Bus.

multiman

On the Basic -> Gain page in Assistant, try setting the Remote Adjust to INH. It sounds like you have one of them set to X2, which you are using for S-Bus.

Ill give it a try when I get home from work but it seems to me im not using X2 for anything but i had better check

Thank you for all your the help

eculuke

Failsafe not working

I set up the modes switches accordingly....and did the fail safe procedure on the 8xr, but when I switch off the tx...the slider goes to "ATTI" and not fail safe.....any help would be appreciated....this thread saved me a ton of time!

sfjim

Thank You! I followed these instructions and they were tremendously helpful. I could not have done it without these detailed steps.

rickoz

Phanom 2 Vision+ and Taranis with X8R Issue

Hi,I am getting closer to getting this set up working, but I just seem to be having one last issue.The Phantom starts up and stop by moving both sticks into the inside corners of the remote. ( I guess everybody gets what I mean ) So this works fine for me as well, except for one issue.I was just jumping with Joy after 24 hours of trying to get this set up and thought I had it when I did my final checks and one last issue raised it's ugly head.Now when i put the Throttle into the lowest centre point ( Lowest throttle level ) it shuts down the motors, pretty sure this is not a good thing !!! Especially as I am new bee and if i get into a panic I might bring the throttle all the way back shutting off the motor and then of course the Phantom would drop like a stone.Im sure there is a way to set a minimum throttle level but i just can't find a way to do it, what i thought was correct, then mean't I could no longer turn the Phantom on ..Any HELP would be greatly appreciated.
Disclaimer: I am definitely what you would class as an amateur at this so I don’t know whether this is the best way to set up this equipment. In fact, I didn’t even own the gear until a couple of days ago! With that said, I couldn’t find a single step by step guide to help me get a basic set up running (but I did find a lot of people doing a lot of head scratching) so I thought the way I came up with would at least provide a discussion point/point of reference going forward. Binding the Tx and Rx: 1. Turn on the Tx, ensure the right model is selected by pressing the menu button once. 2. Press the page button to enter menu page 2 (of 13). Scroll down to the ‘Internal RF’ settings. 3. Ensure mode is set to D16, channel range to CH1-8, Receiver 01. Stay on this menu in anticipation of step 5 below. 4. Power on the rx whilst depressing the f/s button on it. 5. Back to the Tx - you now select [Bind] and a beep should indicate that the rx and Tx have successfully bound 6. Power of Rx and then Tx. Power on Tx and then Rx 7. Green LED should be showing on the Rx indicating the bind process was successful Preliminary setup of the Tx: Go to the Mixer Menu (page 6/13) By default, the channels on the Taranis look like this: CH1 – THR CH2 – AIL CH3 – ELE CH4 – RUD What we want (using an sbus connection to the naza) is: CH1 – AIL CH2 – ELE CH3 – THR CH4 – RUD Additionally we will also need CH5 – for gimbal control if you have one or if not gain adjustment CH6 – for IOC commands (or gain adjustment if using a gimbal) CH7 – for Control Modes (Manual/Atti/GPS) To get the set up right: 1. Press and hold Enter on the first channel (CH1 – THR) and select edit from the sub menu 2. Move down to source using the +/- buttons. Then hit enter so it starts flashing 3. Use the +/- buttons to scroll through until youhave AIL as the selected source. 4. Press ‘enter’ to confirm and then ‘exit’ twice to go back to the previous screen 5. Repeat the process for channels 2 and 3 so that they are set to ELE and THR respectively. CH4-RUD does not need to eb changed 6. Next move to CH5 (currently empty). Press ‘enter’ to select, move down to ‘Source’ setting and press enter again to define a value. It’s probably best to choose a variable switch for this as it’s either going to be used for adjusting gains or gimbal control – 2 or 3 position switches just aren’t suitable! I’m going to use S1, (the variable knob on the left hand side) for this example. 7.Next move to CH6 and assign it a switch in the source as you did for CH5. This needs to be one of the three way switches because this will be used for IOC (Off/Course Lock/Home Lock). I chose Switch ‘SG’ as my source. 8. For CH7 you also need a three way switch which will be used for Control Mode Switching (Manual/ Atti/GPS). I selected switch SE as my source here. 9. Finally, with your 7 channels set up, head to the servos menu page (7/13) where you will need to Invert channel 6 by scrolling down to CH6, pressing enter followed by ‘+’ three times to highlight the ‘direction’ field. Press enter to select ‘INV’ and exit to leave. Changing the direction of this channel ensures that when your IOC switch (SG) is in the up position (as they all should be when starting up), IOC is in the off position. Moving the IOC switch to the middle will then enable course lock mode and moving it to the down position will enable home lock. Connecting to the Assistant Software and Calibrating 1) Connect your powered up copter to your PC via the LED module. Open the Assistant software. 2) Check and calibrate your command sticks and X1 (gimbal or gain adjustment) through the Basic/RC section of the Assistant. 3) If you're not using a gimbal (or IOC), you can go to the Basic/Gain page of the Assistant and change whichever remote adjust drop down menus you wish to either X1 (or X2) 4) Go to Advanced/IOC page (if using IOC) and check the box. Flick your SG switch to ensure that it correctly highlights off/course lock/home lock in the up/middle/down positions. 5) Go to Advanced/Gimbal page if using a gimbal and switch it to ‘on’. Check the gimbal operates as expected with the ‘S1’ switch we set up on CH5 earlier. Configuring the Control Mode Switch 1) Now go back to Basic/RC page which shows the graphical control Mode Switch Slider. Use the drop down menu to select Manual for the right hand tab. This ‘Manual’ tab should be highlighted when the switch is in the up position (but you will notice it doesn’t). Similarly, when the switch is in the middle positon, Atti should be highlighted (not failsafe)and when in the down position, GPS should be highlighted. 2) To fix this ‘alignment’ issue, go to the servos menu on the Tx (page 7/13) and scroll down to CH7. Select the min value field which is set to -100 and set it to -64 (minus 64). Similarly, select the max value field and change from 100 to 64 (positive 64). Finally select the PPM center field and change the value to 1530. 3) Now exit out of the servos menu and go back to the assistant. You should now see the graphical control mode switch working as we want and highlighting the appropriate mode dependent upon the switch position. Setting Failsafe (for when the rx isn't receiving a signal from the tx) 1) Go the model menu (page 2/13) 2) Scroll down to Failsafe Mode 3) Select ‘Custom’ and then ‘Set’ 4) Scroll down to channel 3 (THR) and hit enter. 5) Move the throttle to just over half way (hover). You should see the slider move and value change. 6) Hit Enter and then press the f/s button on the rx. The green light on the rx should flash twice. 7) Switch off the tx and check that in the assistant the control mode switch slider moves to failsafe and the throttle sets itself at just over 50%. 8) Failsafe is set. Now choose your enhanced failsafe mode in the Assistant. Setting a 2 Position Switch for Failsafe (Panic Button!) Let’s say that we want to use switch ‘SF’ as an immediate forced failsafe/panic button - no matter what mode we’re in and without having to turn the Tx off: 1) First let’s create a custom curve. Go to the curves menu (page 8/13) select CV1 and enter the following values into the Y field. Pt 1 = -54 (minus54). Pt 2=0, Pt3=49, Pt4=0 and Pt5=49. 2) Back in the Mixer Menu (page 6/13) we now have to go down to CH7, press and hold enter and then select ‘Insert After’. 3) Go down to Source and set it as SE 4) Go to Weight and set bit as -30 (minus 30) 5) Go to Curve and set it as CV1 5) Finally go to Switch and select SF(downarrow) 6) Exit out of the mix and check that toggling the SF switch to the down position whilst in any flight mode, puts the slider to the failsafe position. 7) Done!Phew! I hope that helps somebody at least! Of course let me know if you spot any mistakes or have suggestions for improvements/advanced setups.

gringers

Preoccupied
Hi,I am getting closer to getting this set up working, but I just seem to be having one last issue.The Phantom starts up and stop by moving both sticks into the inside corners of the remote. ( I guess everybody gets what I mean ) So this works fine for me as well, except for one issue.I was just jumping with Joy after 24 hours of trying to get this set up and thought I had it when I did my final checks and one last issue raised it's ugly head.Now when i put the Throttle into the lowest centre point ( Lowest throttle level ) it shuts down the motors, pretty sure this is not a good thing !!! Especially as I am new bee and if i get into a panic I might bring the throttle all the way back shutting off the motor and then of course the Phantom would drop like a stone.Im sure there is a way to set a minimum throttle level but i just can't find a way to do it, what i thought was correct, then mean't I could no longer turn the Phantom on ..Any HELP would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds as though you have the Motor Cut Off set to 'Immediately' rather than 'Intelligent'. (Setting is in the 'Advanced/Motor' tab in the Assistant Software). Check page 10 & 11 of the Naza-M V2 Manual

kenny0008

Hi, everyone.
I recently upgraded my Phantom v1.2 to Taranis with X8R receiver. Everything seems to be working fine, EXCEPT for my H3-2D gimbal tilt. NAZA Assistant is showing no response on X1.
I have the X2 cable connected to the X8R SBUS, and no other cables. Note that I have the upgrade board installed, so I don't have separate gimbal control cables; everything runs through the NAZA. D-Bus is supposed to have X1 on channel 5, so I set up a Mix on Channel 5 for LS:
(+100%)LS

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help!

eculuke

I hope somebody can help me with my question. It has cause 1 near crash and another crash yesterday. My Taranis battery got too low during flight and disconnected. Instead of going to failsafe RTH it went to ATTI and just drifted into a tree. I followed the instructions but the only thing was when I switch off the remote it goes to ATTI not Failsafe....HELP!
Thanks
Luke

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I hope somebody can help me with my question. It has cause 1 near crash and another crash yesterday. My Taranis battery got too low during flight and disconnected. Instead of going to failsafe RTH it went to ATTI and just drifted into a tree. I followed the instructions but the only thing was when I switch off the remote it goes to ATTI not Failsafe....HELP!
Thanks
Luke

Luke, I saw in your last post you mentioned the flight modes were on a "slider." Was that a typo? Are they in a 3-position switch? Did you do the x8r fail safe setup with just the RTH switch enabled?

eculuke

Its on a 3 position switch.....when I am in the software....everything lines up as mentioned in the instruction but when I turn off the TX...it goes to ATTI

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Its on a 3 position switch.....when I am in the software....everything lines up as mentioned in the instruction but when I turn off the TX...it goes to ATTI

Unfortunately I haven't messed around with the taranis/Naza combo a lot yet. I found THIS video pretty straight forward, and I figured if follow it when the time comes. May be helpful? You may have done all this already...

chipwich

Hi, everyone.
I recently upgraded my Phantom v1.2 to Taranis with X8R receiver. Everything seems to be working fine, EXCEPT for my H3-2D gimbal tilt. NAZA Assistant is showing no response on X1.
I have the X2 cable connected to the X8R SBUS, and no other cables. Note that I have the upgrade board installed, so I don't have separate gimbal control cables; everything runs through the NAZA. D-Bus is supposed to have X1 on channel 5, so I set up a Mix on Channel 5 for LS:
(+100%)LS

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help!

kenny, what settings do you have on Assistant->Advanced- Gimbal page? Also make sure that on your Assistant->Basic->Gain that you are not assigning X1 for Gain control. Have you calibrated X1 on Assistant->Basic->RC? Your connections are fine with a single wire as described.

genesc

Great job on the instructions on setting up the Naza-M V2... I have the Naza M Lite. Sure would be great to have an instructional step by step using the FrSky Taranis, X8R as well.

Thank you for sharing

Gene

chipwich

Great job on the instructions on setting up the Naza-M V2... I have the Naza M Lite. Sure would be great to have an instructional step by step using the FrSky Taranis, X8R as well.

Thank you for sharing

Gene

Will be the same.

gringers

Preoccupied
Thanks
Luke

Hi Luke,

Weird issue you're experiencing. I've set up a few of these now according to my original post and the slider has always gone straight to 'failsafe' when the tx is powered off. I haven't seen your issue mentioned before.

Are you sure you haven't changed anything else, subtrim, endpoints etc which could be affecting it? Have you tried from the beginning with a completely clean model?

If so and you're still having problems, the only thing I can suggest to try and rectify it (although I would really like to know the reason why the problem is happening in the first place) would be to go back to setting the tx/rx failsafe in page 2/13. Once there, in addition to settin the throttle channel (CH3) to just above 50%, you will need to play around with different values for CH7 until you can get failsafe highlighted when you turn of the tx (probably easiest done in this case by temporarily assigning CH7 to a variable knob or slider) Remember to press the failsafe button on the rx each time you change a setting on the tx otherwise the changes won't be stored.

Hope that works!