Av200 indirect drive brushless upgrade demo

Booma

5D - 550D Profiles

Hi Guys - I am happy to share my profiles. They are work in progress of course - Currently I am working to increase the available tuning band between LF and HF oscillations.

You guys know this all ready but these profiles are simply a starting point for your own tuning adventures !

To simplify things I have put the profiles into a dropbox at the following link -

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3nuuzpk1sntipac/X6-MggeXc7

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

Thanks Booma, planning to start this project this week. Was it principally a bunch of disassembly and bolt back together or did it require drilling etc. Got the schematics from PH but no instructions. From a brief glance looks like mostly bolts and reassemble..

SMP

Still in progress. Demands of the business havent let me get back to it. Will post once I've got er going.

darekbo

Hi Does anyone is using Av200 with idd upgrade and alexmoss ? Any video ? Is that as fast in stabilisation of roll like direct drive ? After skyline I wont trust photohigher anymore in their movies....

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Is there anywhere reliable to buy the AV200 IDD 2 Axis apart from directly from Photohigher? We've already ordered one but it's a bit of a pain with the outmoded order form system, then having to tell them you've paid then waiting ages for a reply and so on. I know it will get here eventually, but isn't anyone in Europe or the UK stocking them, or even the US? Anyone who's heard of Paypal even? :)

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Thanks, I've bought from Alitgator before, never been bad so far. Never thought to check them. Little bit expensive, though they do deliver quickly - usually takes two to three days.

Last edited by a moderator:

I´ve placed orders with altigator, everything was good,very well packed,in time and it even came wit a bag of tedygums sweets:highly_amused:

SMP

Got this in PM figured I'd share.

Mojave said:
Hello SMP,
I bought an AV200 IDD 3 Axis recently, it is new from PH. I will be setting it up for the new 32 bit board. My main question is what battery will you be using?
I have looked on the PH website and their documents and I do not see any good illustrations or directions. Is there a good thread on this forum that you would recommend? I have been looking at the "Av200 indirect drive brushless upgrade demo" thread.

Thanks a lot,
Joseph

Hi Joseph,

With a 5D3/24mm and the 8Bit board and TIGER motors (dont know if the kit from PH uses the Tigers or...) I'm finding that 4S gives slightly better performance but the motors run on the hotter side. It works on 3S but the real difficulty has been finding an Alex firmware that can apply enough P to hold the roll. The real issue has been the Tigers seem to need very high (as in 240, just 10 points from max) in order to get away from cogging. This means you need to run very high POWER settings which limits just how much P you can apply. Too much P you get the shakes. lower the Power to get more P range and the Roll is slow. Currently 2.2b Fw seems to work the best but Yaw is a flat mess and the IMU doesnt want to play nice, calibration drifting etc.. All the other FW's ran out of P and high sensitivity just made it worse. I can tell you that the jitters of the skyline are gone so there is definitely hope. Do bear in mind i get very little time for testing with demands of business so other chaps are pushing this forward far quicker than I.

Havent tried the 32 bit on the AV200 as I'm currently putting the 32 on a Legacy gimbal. My understanding however is the 32 bit is even harder to tune with a narrower range. Unless youre running a cinema cam on the AV200 IDD I'd stay 8bit.

jes1111

It's my understanding that the PH motors are from Maxon - don't know if they are standard off-the-shelf or a custom wind. Looks like the motor body comes from the EC45 Flat range, which has 30W, 50W and 70W variants - the "height" of the PH motor suggests the 50W version. I have some EC45 Flat motors on my desk here - they have very slight "cogging" (more correctly called "detent", apparently) - barely noticeable when turned by hand - the rep said this is thanks to some very clever internal design.

kloner

Aerial DP
yes maxon... the dslr one has little ones on roll, red version has big one on roll..... i have one of these but still haven't tried messing with it on the high voltage alexmos

milo12

Does the gearing cause any problems with the response time for stabilization corrections? I thought one of the benefits of a direct drive was quicker response time.

kloner

Aerial DP
it should not be noticeably different if it is setup right. i haven't played with the 200 but all the gimbals i've used the last year have had gear reduction and brushless motors...... only footage from me in the last year not with a belt is the tilt axis....

It does give a huge mechanical advantage and theoreticaly can get away with less motor/weight

SMP

Ok Test 2 with the AV200 Brushless - What it is. A ton of yanking the jib full back and forth, forward and back. Roll is still slow but gone are the skyline jitters on direction changes. Didn't disable the yaw which is complete **** and didn't have a camera op so it flops horribly (also demonstrates why you don't do whip pans with dslrs) 5D3w24mm no post stab (clearly)

http://youtu.be/PJVzDuLF9ds

Conclusion - it works way better than the Skyline and demonstrates that the conversion does work; (just needs someone with more time to test). Next steps, up the roll Power again and fix the bloody yaw. Convert the other AV200.