MultiWii / NAZE / SP Racing F3 Apm 2

skipper1

A couple of weeks ago my APM 2 arrived, I had completely forgotten about ordering it. In the meantime, I get a DJI Flame Wheel 450, I was just wondering if you could replace the NAZA with the APM 2?

srbell

Me too

Just got my APM-2 a few weeks back as well. I got a few extras like sonar and a set of XBee 900 pro's. I was thinking of pulling my WooKong off my Ysix Carbon Scarab and replace it with the APM2. The WKm would go into a larger unit so I can lift something bigger than a Nex5n. Should be pretty cool, just going through the flight planner software was very impressive. Now if I could just get my XBees to communicate!

srbell

Still waiting for the larger airframe to swap the WooKong out to. I've got a DJI S-800 on pre-oder and looking forward to getting a new heavy lift unit from Quinton at Multiwii Copter.

Bowley

How are your units faring guys? Not hearing much at all on these considering they still seem to be selling quicker than they can make them.

DennyR

APM-2 works very well. Great stabilisation. Sometimes the dev team try to be a little too clever. Upgrade at your peril.

utech

Yes it is true that sometimes the dev team do try to get fancy with new versions of Arducopter, but if you wait a couple days after a new release most of the new bugs are fixed..

Have a look at video from the latests version of arducopter

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

Somewhat cheaper than WKM waypoint. I love my APM-2 The camera outputs are ten times better than Naza.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yes, it should be a good one. Biggest thing, IMO, we finally nailed down the yaw control. It's really good now.

kcsajtai

Hello,

I have an APM1 with serius yaw issues. After trying for weeks to make it work, I nearly gave up. (not fine tuning, just basic things, like being able to lift off without flipping over randomly in the first 10 seconds of the flight). Then suddenly it started to work. It was awesome. Best thing I've ever flown. After two weeks of joy, and seriusly thinking of retiring my naza, I connected it to my computer, just to double check some values and it all went to hell. (without touching anything, just clicking on connect) Back to square one. Continuos rotation on the yaw axis. Raw sensor data is fine, however ber error countinuosly increases or decreases dependending on it's mood while the quad is sitting still on my desk. Flying it is impossible. I don't want waypont navigation, I'm not interested in loitering or any other fancy things. I'd like to have that beautiful stabilization mode my quad had during those two weeks. Tried erasing, resetting, fw reloading, sacrificing black chicken, everything I could come up with. Nothing helps... Nailed yaw control you say? I'm excited :)))

K.

Yes, it should be a good one. Biggest thing, IMO, we finally nailed down the yaw control. It's really good now.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Hello,

I have an APM1 with serius yaw issues. After trying for weeks to make it work, I nearly gave up. (not fine tuning, just basic things, like being able to lift off without flipping over randomly in the first 10 seconds of the flight). Then suddenly it started to work. It was awesome. Best thing I've ever flown. After two weeks of joy, and seriusly thinking of retiring my naza, I connected it to my computer, just to double check some values and it all went to hell. (without touching anything, just clicking on connect) Back to square one. Continuos rotation on the yaw axis. Raw sensor data is fine, however ber error countinuosly increases or decreases dependending on it's mood while the quad is sitting still on my desk. Flying it is impossible. I don't want waypont navigation, I'm not interested in loitering or any other fancy things. I'd like to have that beautiful stabilization mode my quad had during those two weeks. Tried erasing, resetting, fw reloading, sacrificing black chicken, everything I could come up with. Nothing helps... Nailed yaw control you say? I'm excited :)))

K.

Hmmm... really difficult to diagnose from here. What is "ber error?" Bearing?

Some people have problems with yaw due to the Mag being influenced by magnetic interference. The code can't fix that problem unfortunately.

Previously, yaw control was "weak" if everything was setup perfectly. If the mechanical setup wasn't perfect, then it was really really bad. The new code now gives perfect yaw control if the mechanical setup is good, and is far, far more adaptive for poor mechanical setup.

kcsajtai

Well, one thing for sure: the mag doesn't make a difference. Whether it's enabled or disabled or even removed from the board it's the same story. When it was working I didn't use the mag since I had serious trust issues, however I calibrated and tested it and seemed ok on the test bench. I even took a quick 3 minute flight with it and it felt a bit sloppier but was Ok. The GPS is disconnected as well.

The Mission Planner has a value in the status window called ber_error which is most likely bearing, since it goes from 0 to 360 and changes as the heading does. However callling it "error" slightly confuses me, on the other hand it's quite appropriate:)

So it goes like this:

I connect the APM, have a look at the readings and the heading on the instrument panels shows a continuos yaw movement. About 45-60 degrees/sec. Moving the copter doesn't affect anything, only sometimes the rate of the yaw speed. But at it's lowest it's still crazy fast. So no gyro drifting. The thing that bothers me the most is if I check the sensors in the terminal, everything is shiny. No problems at all. So my best guess is the software must be calculating something funny. But I'm no expert, just a patient guy.

Oh, and I tried to check whether it's only a glitch in the mission planner or not, so went to a field and tried to fly it. Wasn't funny :)

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Hmmm... OK. Then it sounds like something must have gone wrong with your board.

But first, I would suggest flashing new firmware from the window in Mission Planner, then do a factory reset. If the condition still exists, then something happened to the gyros.

sixback

Though I didn't have this same issue, I had to send my APM2 v2.4 board to Carmen@3DRobotics for diagnosis and repair after pulling my hair out trying to fix it through the mission planner and updates.

Though 3DRobotics couldn't find anything physically wrong with my board they were kind enough to send a newer replacement .v2.41 kit back to the reseller I bought it from. My reseller soldered the kit up for me and sent along a beautiful plastic hardcase enclosure to protect it.
All APM2 owners should consider getting this new hard case from Arucopter

Really impressed with the service all around. Just don't expect a 1 week turnaround as they are pretty busy.

Cheers

sixback

BTW - That wandering compass heading was identified in previous firmware release notes. I'm sure of it, though I can't exactly remember if it was also described in the user reply threads on the arducopter site.