Anyone help translate IOSD log (Yaw Problem when flying forward)

Quinton

Started to notice that I am having problems yawing Clockwise when going fast forward.
Never really noticed it so much before as I thought it was the wind, however last few days its been really calm.

Today was the first day I added the IOSD MK2 to try and find out what the problem may be, but I can not see much from the logs myself.
When I let the MR hover and yaw, there are no problems at all CW and CCW, when I go fast forward CCW it turns pretty sharp, now when I go fast forward and put full CW yaw on, it struggles quite a bit to turn.
When I keep the back pointing to me all the time, it is not noticeable at all, only when flying fast forward and turning CW.

Anyone any idea what could be wrong, it is important I get this sorted ASAP?

Before anyone asks all the props are on the correct way and spinning M1, M3, M5 CCW the others CW
There does not seem to be any problems visually, and all motors have been calibrated and start/stop same time.

Here is the flight log from the 10 min flight today if anyone can see something that may be causing a problem.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/90ri83845iqkgt6/FLY004.DAT

kloner

Aerial DP
I don't have a pc with me to look but when i see this it's usually motor alignment. make sure in the first window in naza assistant has 0 in all but the throttle box to indicate neutral input

Quinton

Thanks , maybe also best to mention its a Skyjib 6 Hex with a Wookong, it is quite hard to not have the motors in the correct place as there are little notches where the motors screw into to ensure things are square.

Quinton

I don't have a pc with me to look but when i see this it's usually motor alignment. make sure in the first window in naza assistant has 0 in all but the throttle box to indicate neutral input

Kloner you may have hit the nail on the head actually.
I changed this over from the Skyjib 6 to the quick release system recently, and motors 3 and 6 which are the 2 that do not have the quick release plates seem to be almost 8 or 9 mm below the others, it is quite hard to tell exactly as I can not say for sure that I am turning the MR squarely, but surely that would cause some problems.

So my next question is, how exactly do you set it up to ensure all the motors are aligned?
Would this even cause Yaw problems, after all the likes of the the Vulcan Mantis has the front 2 motors inches above the others!

kloner

Aerial DP
everytime i fly my jib i gotta stretch all the arms up and give them a wiggle,,,, when i do that shes money

those motors are still aligned up there.... when your frame is cockeyed shes twisted...

Quinton

everytime i fly my jib i gotta stretch all the arms up and give them a wiggle,,,, when i do that shes money

those motors are still aligned up there.... when your frame is cockeyed shes twisted...

Funny thing is I never really noticed this problem until I changed it over to the quick release.
Now the million dollar question, how do people make sure their frames aren't "cockeyed" :)
Surely there are easier ways out there to align everything without guessing with a vernier?

kloner

Aerial DP
You want to stretch it. put one motor on the ground, opposing in hand, push down on the crash cage, rotate, repeat....

Quinton

You want to stretch it. put one motor on the ground, opposing in hand, push down on the crash cage, rotate, repeat....

I swore you were messing with me (hands up who else thought the same)
But...Now each motor is within 2mm of each other...Just away to check it again in case my brains messing with me!
Where's my charger :)

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
it's scarry how stretchy/flexy they are. It's real, it'll fly like it did that one time all the time.... i don't have a ti so haven't messed with those but i travel fly a bit....

Quinton

OK think I am pretty sure what the problem is.
I bought the longest retractable legs to go with the Movi, and guess what, when they are up you lose CW yaw when travelling fast forward, when they are down there is no problems at all.

kloner

Aerial DP
just looked at your log, turn on m1, m2, m3,m4,m5,m6 and look at the position they sit, it is showing a motor not aligned condition even hovering. my guess is it's in a preloaded yaw sort of algo then you add more pressure flying with legs up is hooking wind, cause it to yaw.

One thing i'd check before just saying that's how it is, take a ruler and place it on the prop adapter or just swing prop tips together and look at the motor alignment. are you feeling every other motor as warmer than the other every other?

wonder if it's not like a left turn tenancy where the torque, spiral slip stream and p-factor are coming into play, i know alot of people are fly these

Quinton

just looked at your log, turn on m1, m2, m3,m4,m5,m6 and look at the position they sit, it is showing a motor not aligned condition even hovering. my guess is it's in a preloaded yaw sort of algo then you add more pressure flying with legs up is hooking wind, cause it to yaw.

One thing i'd check before just saying that's how it is, take a ruler and place it on the prop adapter or just swing prop tips together and look at the motor alignment. are you feeling every other motor as warmer than the other every other?

wonder if it's not like a left turn tenancy where the torque, spiral slip stream and p-factor are coming into play, i know alot of people are fly these

Thanks for the help, even if I turned on M1-M6 then I would not know what I was seeing as I have nothing to compare it against say for example perfectly aligned motors.
What exactly should I be seeing from motors 1-6 in the graphs?
Yes every other motor is feeling slightly warmer.
Im ging to run a few more tests tonight, like removing legs completely and put i into manual to see if it starts to Yaw one way.

Quinton

OK testing done, and I am 99% certain that the retracts are causing a problem under the 3 and 6 motors.
I took off from a box, no retracts and lifted retract up and it flew perfect, so that rules out the radio.
There was almost zero wind, and I put it into manual (not Atti), and it just stayed there for a good 20 seconds, surely this would mean that there is no problems with any of the motors being misaligned, as it should have started to yaw and drift?
This is not a normal Skyjib 6 it is the QR Super with 500mm booms which allow up to 18" props and I have 16x5.4 props and the largest extended legs 440mm.
Think I will contact Aeronavics to see what they say.

Quinton

Fair play to Aeronavics.
They have not admitted there could be a problem, but then again they have not buried their head that there is not a problem (unlike some companies we know off)

Hi Quinton,

My apologies for the delayed reply - I have a whole thread of emails of people I have been in touch with to solve your mystery, but see I haven't actually replied to you yet.
This is very strange. We have no idea what the problem might be and do not have a solution at the moment - you are the second customer mentioning this issue. We have not encountered it ourselves but have not been able to establish with the other customer what the problem was, and he went back to the shorter legs. It could have to do with current draw, but we have tried everything and couldn't figure it out.

We are working on a new retract mechanism - we could do you a cost price replacement when it gets released. I'm afraid this is all I can do for you right now. I am looking into doing further tests with our setup next week.
Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you and best regards,