Another one bites the dust!

Hey guys,

Found this while searching the net. Not sure what the cause of the crash was, but I have been hearing of a fair amount of DJI controlled copters going down. Anybody else have an opinion about this (probably opening a nice big can of worms).

Luckily this was in a remote forest.

In the actual article it mentions that the guys managed to fix it and fly again, gimbal was bust though as one would expect.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:

I have had 2 ESC failures on an octa and landed without incident. I had to watch this without sound, so not sure what happened, but, I still don't understand why so many pilots fly hexa? Y6 is smooth and compact and can definatly handle a motor out. Especially on a big job. One ESC failure and your down.

soler

From the video it sounds like motors are surging while the copter swings back and forth, could have been anything from a bad arm connection, broken prop or ESC or just too much vibration.

More of a pain then an actual 'cost', Photographer can just sell a couple of pictures and all will be recovered....it would be like dropping a "cheaper lens" in his collection, awesome place to fly!

Wow...that's completely spanked.

looks very similar to the symptoms I had when I my RC's RSSI went beserk. Luckily, my APM2.5 saved the day with a smooth RTL ;-)

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
A great location! And the stuff they did get was awesome. Oh, and why do we hear a lot about DJI stuff crashing? Because everyone uses it! We build them ourselves so they are only as reliable as we are at building them. :02.47-tranquillity:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Y6 is smooth and compact and can definatly handle a motor out. Especially on a big job.

+100 on that comment. With three A2 sat on the bench as paperweights after the V2 upgrade I would not be surprised if it was not an A2 controller

Dave

One from last week with the Y6 in Peru

Attachments

• P1060905.jpg
    P1060905.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 236
Last edited by a moderator:

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I have had 2 ESC failures on an octa and landed without incident. I had to watch this without sound, so not sure what happened, but, I still don't understand why so many pilots fly hexa? Y6 is smooth and compact and can definatly handle a motor out. Especially on a big job. One ESC failure and your down.

Yep, that was my guess too, a power failure. I also don't understand why anybody flies a hex. Might as well fly a quad, because you're going down anyway, and a quad has 33% less parts to fail. Yes, a hex can land or... controlled crash... if all the stars are aligned. But it's just not a reliable layout. Why do people use it? Y6 at the least, Octo is best. I've flown an Octo with 3 motors out. Yes, I chose them in a "balanced" fashion, but still, it worked. With two out, it flew fairly well. With one out, I'd be hard pressed to notice the difference if it happened at a distance and I couldn't see the machine.

deluge2

Nah, it was a plain s800 (pre-EVO) with WooKong FC and IMU (original not V2 IMU). Whole host of possible failure modes...but not A2-related.

Steve

+100 on that comment. With three A2 sat on the bench as paperweights after the V2 upgrade I would not be surprised if it was not an A2 controller

Dave

One from last week with the Y6 in Peru

Electro 2

I also don't understand why anybody flies a hex. Might as well fly a quad, because you're going down anyway, and a quad has 33% less parts to fail.

Kinda OT here, but, quads vs. hexes. It not so much a reliability thing, it's a stabilty thing. A hex is inheirently more stable in a wider range of complex flight profiles. The typical motor mix table in a hex regards the CW and the CCW prop groups as two interlocking triangles like a star of David. Three points define a plane, two points, as in a quad, only define a line. With this arrangement there is away a "teeter" roll moment about the defined line which is stabilized only by the yaw-opposing axis. Given that yaw stability is the primary determinante of motor drive differential in these axes, it's not always optimal for teeter control and something has to give. Hence the two coplanar, interlocking planes is a superior arrangement. Also, don't forget with six motors it's generally easier to design for heavy loads over four really large ones.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yep, good point. I always forget that part. Hexas do fly better. I just think, if you're serious, it has to an octo.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Yep, good point. I always forget that part. Hexas do fly better. I just think, if you're serious, it has to an octo.

I am deadly serious and fly a Y6 why anyone in a working world where you have to shoot anything and everything would go go for an octo is beyond my comprehension. There is no way we could have done the peru gig with an Octo there would just not have been the room to transport it! If we had to compact out down it was only 4 bolts on the Y6 with an octo it would have been a mare to fold it up every time we moved location.

Full Peru gig kit in one 1740 Peli two Y6 machines and everything we needed to ensure the production got what they needed.

View attachment 14677

Dave

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 356

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
If transport is a problem, why not an X8?

Yeah, Y6 is not a bad option, it can fly with a motor out (assuming it had enough reserve power).

My comment was mostly directed at the S800. A standard Hex.

Av8Chuck

Nice setup.

Its interesting that this led to a debate of different frame configurations rather than controller issues. It looked pretty obvious early on that the S800 had control issues and it sounded like all motors were working.

I think the airframe you choose should be based on the mission you fly, I use quads for low altitude AP with a GoPro and 2-axis gimbal where there's little risk of damaging other people property.

For more lift and stability, lifting an NEX with 3-axis gimbal I use a HEX and more recently a Y6, and after my experience with the Y6 for any heavier camera and gimbal I would use an X8 but I haven't gone there yet. My hesitation for the X8 is the AUW, flight time and expense. I just haven't used a flight controller that I would trust enough for that expensive a setup.

After watching this video I'd say that my skepticism is well founded.

Tuomas P.

Well...I've had one motor out in a flat hexa and also lost one in an Y6 while doing a loop. Both could be landed pretty well. Yes an octo is surely better in one motor out situation, but it all also depends of the thrust reserve you have. TP.