Sony NEX and intervalometer software

Looking to upgrade the camera I lift with my MR.

I understand the Sony NEX cameras will run an app which will fire stills at preset intervals.

I don't need a brand new expensive NEX, considering a used one because of the risk involved flying it.

Does anyone know what NEX models will facilitate interval timer software apps? I know the newer ones will.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

kloner

Aerial DP
haven't seen it but regarding the used nex.... these bodies aren't sealed so the sensor is really succeptable to dust and results in scratched sensors..... it's only like $60 to get a new sensor put in, but consider that into the price and choice of cams.... there a pain to fly... they are also heavy for a 550 and a gimbal, starts the progression to stepping up the rig...

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
it's tough, seen a lumix gx7 mirrorless just came out. if it's like our gh3 that'd be a great camera to carry you far off into the future. Sealed bodies are a big deal when your flying. We had so much trouble i'll never use em in the air again

dazzab

Just did a comparison of the GX7 and the Sony NEX on dpreview.com. The GX7 looks like a great choice. Thanks for the tip Kloner. I just bought my second Sony NEX 6 after doing some unplanned underwater shooting with my previous one. :) Wish I had seen your post first. I've had great results from the Sony but weather sealing would be great. I'll put it on the list for next time.

So are you saying Kloner that the NEX line gets sensor specs even without removing the lens often? Take offs in dusty areas kick up lots of dust.

I've been shooting w DSLRS for years and I've cleaned sensors a few times. My old Canon 5D get lots of sensor specs but the sensor on my Canon 7D vibrates to remove specks. This vibrating sensor cleaning works well.

My reason for interest in the NEX line is their light weight. I expect I'd use a lightweight prime wide angle lens.

I expect a GX would be heavier.

Topflight

I understand the Sony NEX cameras will run an app which will fire stills at preset intervals.

I don't need a brand new expensive NEX, considering a used one because of the risk involved flying it.

Does anyone know what NEX models will facilitate interval timer software apps? I know the newer ones will.

I purchased an intervalmeter that is small and light weight. Velcro to front of nex5 and set to what ever interval you want the camera to fire, seconds up to minutes.

Maverick

The Nex you're asking about is the 5R.

jes1111

I can recommend the camera search feature at dpreview.com

Based on your criteria - try this search: http://www.dpreview.com/products/se...amSpecsDurabilitySearch=EnvironmentallySealed

(Intervalometer function is referred to here as Timelapse Recording)

Out of those I picked out the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 (Lumix DMC-FT5) as an interesting candidate - intervalometer built in, 1080/60p, waterfproof, etc. - sounds nice, and cheap!

EDIT: more of an upgrade - Olympus OM-D EM-1 :)

kloner

Aerial DP
we use the triggers on this stuff and it makes for alot less mess to sort through at the end of the day. At least it's just the best attempts you had instead of a bunch of just getting on scene and little meat in the middle

http://www.rcshutter.com/