Aluminum arms for dji flamewheel frames

Mojave

jfro

Aerial Fun
I can see why it came across that way. i almost didnt post it but then I realized that the aluminum arms dont allow the option to go coax so it was not a competing statement. He asked about making a f550 coax so I just thought I would point him to a product that could accomplish this. Maybe I should just shut up. Sorry if I have offended anyone. I know what it feels like to be crapped on, trust me. Have you ever been to a Turkish prison? She was about 6'3 and 180 lbs. I can still smell her beard. :)

I'm flying very light on my aluminum arms auw 1900g using 5000 mHa 4s. I'm looking to build at a quad or y6 for my middle machine, thus all the reading. Where I bought my aluminum arms, they have an accessory mount kit for coax motors. I haven't bought one or have any knowledge how they work, but I'm sure the arms are strong enough for many motors. Length of the aluminum arms limits the props (I think) to 12" on the f450 plates that I'm using.

Using round CF or even rectangle arms allows more leeway in arm length. 400kv range motors allow for a bunch of different props sizes, thus the dilemma on arm types if I were to go for a standard quad or discovery type quad.

One of the issues I don't like about my x8 on fc round arms is the need to check alignment all the time. I'm converting to rectangle arms on that right now.

I've been playing with eClalc tonight and I think the 400kv motors on a small quad with Gopro and 20+ minute flight times on 6s sound great and then swap out Gopro/Gimbal for Blackmagic Pocket Camera /small gimbal and bigger props and maybe get 10-13 minutes sounds pretty good.

Anybody have a decent config on mid to small y6 that gets these types of flight times?

Just (kinda) finished aimdroix y6 with 11"graups and 800kv motors. 5000mah 4s gets me 9-10 min. 2x 5000 getting 18 min. And did a 7.8lb test last night for couple minutes and handled it like a champ. Very stable aircrfft, especially with some weight on it. Looking forward to a 6s setup soon.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Just (kinda) finished aimdroix y6 with 11"graups and 800kv motors. 5000mah 4s gets me 9-10 min. 2x 5000 getting 18 min. And did a 7.8lb test last night for couple minutes and handled it like a champ. Very stable aircrfft, especially with some weight on it. Looking forward to a 6s setup soon.

You 2x5000 @ 18min, was that with cam/gimbal? AUW?

jfro

Aerial Fun
I'm flying very light on my aluminum arms auw 1900g using 5000 mHa 4s. I'm looking to build at a quad or y6 for my middle machine, thus all the reading. Where I bought my aluminum arms, they have an accessory mount kit for coax motors. I haven't bought one or have any knowledge how they work, but I'm sure the arms are strong enough for many motors. Length of the aluminum arms limits the props (I think) to 12" on the f450 plates that I'm using.

Using round CF or even rectangle arms allows more leeway in arm length. 400kv range motors allow for a bunch of different props sizes, thus the dilemma on arm types if I were to go for a standard quad or discovery type quad.

One of the issues I don't like about my x8 on fc round arms is the need to check alignment all the time. I'm converting to rectangle arms on that right now.

I've been playing with eClalc tonight and I think the 400kv motors on a small quad with Gopro and 20+ minute flight times on 6s sound great and then swap out Gopro/Gimbal for Blackmagic Pocket Camera /small gimbal and bigger props and maybe get 10-13 minutes sounds pretty good.

Anybody have a decent config on mid to small y6 that gets these types of flight times?

Correction. I am at 2150g on f450. Also, looks like aluminum arms might be good for maybe 13" props. but I'm really not sure...

Correction. I am at 2150g on f450. Also, looks like aluminum arms might be good for maybe 13" props. but I'm really not sure...

I saw a previous post of econfly's rig and he had 14" props on his 450 with extended arms. Pretty sure that is the max prop size with the 450 center plates but I could be wrong.

however I'm open to all options.

Make your own....

Using CF booms you can have any length you desire
Lighter than aluminum
Much quieter than aluminum
Hide your ESC wiring inside the booms.
Inside the Boom ESC's are now available for the 20mm CF tubing

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?14305-DJI-X8-Options

15yw7iq.jpg

I have tweaked my 450 setup and this seems like a solid improvement. The main change I made was from 4s to 6s power. Flight time is now about 27 minutes, and with the increased weight of the 6s battery stability in wind is improved. Otherwise, flight characteristics are as good as they were under 4s. Hover is just under 50% throttle at full pack power, and just over 50% toward the end of the flight.

The build is now using 12x4 Tiger Motor props. Weight is 2.7kg. ESCs are Tiger Motor 30A pro opto, motors remain the same (TM MN4010-11, 475kv). The battery is a Turnigy nano-tech 8000mAh 6S 25~50C. Other components include the AIMDROIX extended arms and DJI 450 top/bottom plates, H3-2D gimbal with GoPro, DJI iOSD mini, DJI video tx, NAZA v2, and Futaba 7008sb receiver.

450b-1.JPG

450b-2.JPG

econfly, is that color electric tape you are using to secure the ESC's?

econfly

econfly, is that color electric tape you are using to secure the ESC's?

Basically, yes -- vinyl tape. The ESCs don't fit inside the arms (neither the prior DJI ESCs or the current TMotors), but it's close. Zip ties didn't seem to work too well, so I just taped them. You can see two tape jobs per ESC in the photos. I cut off some of the ESC shrink wrap (enough to expose the motor connectors), then removed those connectors (come right off with heat from soldering iron), cut motor wires to appropriate length, soldered motor wires directly to the ESCs, taped the exposed solder area, then taped the ESCs to the arm. There are surely better looking / more elegant ways to do this, but it works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Basically, yes -- vinyl tape. The ESCs don't fit inside the arms (neither the prior DJI ESCs or the current TMotors), but it's close. Zip ties didn't seem to work too well, so I just taped them. You can see two tape jobs per ESC in the photos. I cut off some of the ESC shrink wrap (enough to expose the motor connectors), then removed those connectors (come right off with heat from soldering iron), cut motor wires to appropriate length, soldered motor wires directly to the ESCs, taped the exposed solder area, then taped the ESCs to the arm. There are surely better looking / more elegant ways to do this, but it works for me.

They look pretty good to me. I think I'll use the tape instead of the zip ties on mine. Thanks for posting the photos.

Deserteagle83

HighGain... You know they say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery. I have followed a few of your builds on other forums (you seem to get expelled from forums a bit) particularly your Large frame AR Drone. In any case, I'd like to pretty much build a copy of your HEX pictured here. Would you happen to have a build thread or something that I could follow? This will be my first forray into building my own bird and yours seems like the optimal prototype. (My apologies for hyjacking this thread)

Well, this will be a good comparison as our builds are nearly identical. Can you please post pics and video of before and after you install the aluminum arms?
I would like to see the difference they make as my airframe is a bit heavier.

DJI F550 3 tier frame

Bottom

2 Hyperion 4S 5000 35C Batteries or 2 Mad Dog 4S 5000 35C Batteries
Carbon Fiber dual battery tray
DJI H3-2D Zenmuse Gimbal
GoPro Hero3 Black
Carbon Fiber Landing Gear

Bottom tier

DJI Naza-M V2
DJI Naza-M V2 PMU
HiTec 9 channel receiver for Aurora 9 TX
DJI 2.4GHz ground station Transmitter
DJI 2212 920kv motors
DJI 8045 props
DJI arms
DJI 30 amp OPTO ESC's

Middle Tier

DJI iOSD Mark II
DJI 5.8GHz Downlink
DJI H3-2D Zenmuse GCU
DJI V2 LED

Top Tier

DJI V2 GPS
DJI 5.8GHz downlink antenna
Dual Diversity HiTec Antennas

Total AUW: 2920gr

6fpcgm.jpg

The build is now using 12x4 Tiger Motor props. Weight is 2.7kg. ESCs are Tiger Motor 30A pro opto, motors remain the same (TM MN4010-11, 475kv).

450b-1.JPG

450b-2.JPG

Do those motors bolt directly to those arms or is an adapter needed?

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

Jaybeast

Hi all,
I have a stock dji 550 and I'm considering updating my arms to the extended aluminum version. My current stock hex is equipped with 10"x4.5 props, a gaui gimbal, sony nex 5n, video tx and venom 3s 4000mah lipo with an auw of 5.5 lbs. The hex can lift this pretty easily but my flight time on the high end is only 6 minutes. I've tried the same setup but with two venom 4000 lipos in parallel and flew almost 10 minutes but the motors were pretty hot afterwards. If I use these aluminum arm extensions, do I need to replace the stock dji motors? Is there a benefit or negative? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
J.