Alternatives to gopro for autoshooting still pictures.

jlemoo

I don't have a setup where I can take pictures manually with my own transmitter. What are good alternatives to the gopro? I need..
-frequency of 1 shot per second or greater.
-greater than 5 Mp.
-no fisheye.
-preferably less than $500 US, but if there are slightly more expensive options, I'd like to know.

Sanderx

Or a canon ixus or other canon compacts with the cdhk hack which will give you an intervalometer. Very simple setup. Not as small as the gopro or Sony but effective for photos

kloner

Aerial DP
i have the as-10 and the other day was reading the manual, and it says 2mp pictures. i thought that had to a be a mistake and wanted proof before i said anything here so just took it outside for a walk around my yard with some different examples and i think it is 2mp, these are full size
full-image.php

full-image.php

full-image.php

way better at video though...... hero2 stills are 11mp, look like this

full-image.php

can see full size images here
http://rchelicollective.com/zen/kloner/AP/page/2/

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

The CHDK is very useful but if you have, or plan to get a later Canon model you should check the CHDK wiki to make sure its supported.
I use a A490 and S95 in intervalometer mode, you might struggle to get a shot every second though, even if you have it set at 1 sec.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I have an older SX200 I use with CHDK and it works well for what it is. If you fly slowly with the script set to shoot as fast as possible you get enough frames to be assured of getting a fair amount of useable shots out of the total taken. Good thing digital images are cheap and easy, not like the old days when all we had was film! That said my preferred method now is my Nex 5N with a GentLED remote trigger and the Freefly HDMI to analog converter that gives me through the lens view on the ground so I can see exactly what the image will be when I hit the TX switch, not an inexpensive solution though...

i have the as-10 and the other day was reading the manual, and it says 2mp pictures. i thought that had to a be a mistake and wanted proof before i said anything here so just took it outside for a walk around my yard with some different examples and i think it is 2mp,

I've been waffling on pulling the trigger on the AS-10 to replace a much abused GoPro. Can't decide if I want to go with the AS or send the GoPro to goprorepair.com for a restoration, certainly the repair is the less expensive option but at the end of the day I'd still have an Hero HD V1 which is now old tech.

Do you think the AS-10 is worth it vs a Hero2? If I'm going to spend hundreds, the Hero 2 isn't that much more in the long run and its capabilities are well known...

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
were all expecting the hero3 very soon.... the hero1 is only $129 new at best buy, wal mart, etc. hero2 is starting to show up $50 off at $250

All that said the hero mounts easy to everything i have but is hard to make work in 1080p without jello where the sony just works with the supplied mount. the sony has way better color, i can't get steady shot to not make jello but i think that's common. the sony has 720p 120 frame.... super slow mo......

i just can't get it to stop fogging up

that's so true to color compared to standing there... well till it fogs up. not much caching in pans, but i got a 90mb sec memory, i've seen this thing cache like crazy with regular class 10. pixelated artifacts. I'm heading to the river for 3 hard core days of laying it down and the as-10 and hero2 will be in tow for some comparisons of proximity flight... Wanna see how clear each makes the ground, how the clouds affect it (gonna be raining)

this was with a $5 memory class 10

my jury is still out. i got a brand new one in the box i was gonna mount into the zeph, but now i'm hesitant

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I recently picked up one of the $129 Heros, thing is with the addition of another TBS Disco to the fleet I could really use that 3rd GoPro at 100% so I'm not swapping one around to different frames while out flying. My #3 Hero still works, just that it has some "issues" from being smacked into the dirt on the front end of an FPV quad one too many times. The main annoyance being the front LCD is busted so it's hard to tell if its on or off and I have to use the LCD backpack anytime I need to change the settings which means taking it off the frame and then having to reinstall and get the isolation pad set just right to keep the jello away afterward, just a PITA I'd rather not have to deal with.

I'll wait and see how your flight testing goes before I do anything, not like I have no cameras to work with right now...

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
i think hero3 is gonna be our ticket....... this one is nice, especially like on a helmet or that kinda stuff.