Welcome To DroneVibes

DroneVibes is a COMMUNITY of drones enthusiasts. We are experts at drones for all professional and consumer applications. We welcome you to register and join the conversation.

Alta Price goes UP - A LOT.... $11,995.00 WHAT?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Recreational sUAS Flyers Discussions' started by SleepyC, Dec 2, 2015.

1. violetwolf

violetwolf Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Posted by violetwolf, Dec 3, 2015 #21
    100% agree on the CAN Bus. This is the reason our Phobotic Gimbal Controllers use CAN Bus. No issues with interference from motors etc. as with the AlexMos which is I2c.

I'm pretty confident that Free Fly uses ported ALexMos software on their systems. I've been watching development of gimbal software VERY closely and its just a little too coincidental that FF and AM keep introducing the same features within weeks or days of each other ;)

Same observations with FF and Arducopter regarding Flight Controllers..

2 people like this.
  2. Old Man

Old Man Active Member

Posted by Old Man, Dec 3, 2015 #22
    Cut down your post a bit but I understand what you were saying. I have some back ground in this area as well and understand what we really see.

2 people like this.
  3. SchrodingersCar

SchrodingersCar Member

May 9, 2014
    Chicago IL
    Posted by SchrodingersCar, Dec 3, 2015 #23
    As far as 4k goes, TV sets are a red herring. Compression will be the limiting factor there for a while (but not forever). And I could make the same argument against dynamic range - HDTVs can't display anywhere near 13 stops, so what's the point?! I mostly produce 1080p TV commercials. I shoot 4k the same reason I shoot RAW. Post-production versatility. IMO It's fast becoming the de-facto standard of professional production. Your clients will demand it. Trust me.

3 people like this.
  4. Lanzar

Lanzar Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Slovenia
    Posted by Lanzar, Dec 4, 2015 #24
    Kopterworx has few altas on old stock so price stays until the units are sold. So if someone is interested ........

5. SamaraMedia

SamaraMedia Active Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Connecticut
    Posted by SamaraMedia, Dec 4, 2015 #25
    I have a CP control for an old Quadframe DSLR gimbal, how do you connect to the CANBUS? And what is it used for? I don't recall reading anywhere on Phobotic's site or video tutorials about connecting using the CANBUS.

Sorry to go off topic.

Thanks

6. SleepyC

SleepyC www.AirHeadMedia.com

Posted by SleepyC, Dec 4, 2015 #26
    I think he mens on the board it self, it communicates with itself by canbus not IC2

7. SamaraMedia

SamaraMedia Active Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Connecticut
    Posted by SamaraMedia, Dec 4, 2015 #27
    Thanks SleepyC, I did find a little more info on this on the AerialPixels website. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something like the ability to connect to a FC like NAZA etc, to get GPS assisted stabilization.

3 people like this.
  8. maxwelltub

maxwelltub Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Philly
    Posted by maxwelltub, Dec 4, 2015 #28
    This is really odd to me. First they changed the price on the Movi which is great for the customers who bought at the lower price but must be fairly upsetting to the early adopters. I mean this also happened pretty soon after its original release and before the full cage and other upgrades were made. Now they are doing this and seems like this would shake the confidence in their loyal customer base. Not the best timing either with the drone expo coming up and having Gryphon Dynamics and Shotover making significant moves into the US markets.

2 people like this.
  9. Motopreserve

Motopreserve Drone Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posted by Motopreserve, Dec 4, 2015 #29
    I saw the drop in M5 price in a B&H sales email. I figured they may be moving toward a more competitive price now that other companies are getting good feedback in a similar segment of the market (Gremsy, Ronin Lite etc).

Perhaps they feel the Alta is still in a class of its own - and warrants the price hike? Nah, still doesn't make sense :)

10. violetwolf

violetwolf Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Posted by violetwolf, Dec 4, 2015 #30
    Re FreeFly: I'm in the camp / theory that the additional $ is for support costs. Their recall earlier must have cost a bundle!

Re Phobotic: Yes at this point CAN Bus is only for the IMU connection to make it robust. But the developer Roee has let us know there are some major breakthroughs coming in the next Firmware release. I have seen some test footage that is outstanding regarding horizon holding. There MAY be some FC connectivity in the future, but it may be unnecessary due to the new algorithms. It will be a free update and will run on all existing boards.

Sorry to derail!

2 people like this.
  11. Str8 Up

Str8 Up Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Posted by Str8 Up, Dec 7, 2015 #31
    You really need to fly the Alta to appreciate what it brings to the game. There is nothing else that has the frame build quality in a foldable. The synapse FC is the first I have flown that allows the perfect blend of stabilization and fluid user inputs. It is now being specifically requested for jobs which has never happened to us before. We have two and are considering a third. BTW, we paid full price for our M10 and was surprised when FF dropped the price. It had already paid for itself so it didn't really matter honestly. I like that not everyone can afford an Alta. It alleviates the P3 problem of people doing jobs for a tank of gas or a round of golf.

4 people like this.
  12. Jason S

Jason S Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Japan
    Posted by Jason S, Dec 9, 2015 #32
    Im gonna wait until freefly builds it's alta heavylift its been working on to lift the movi XL
    Once that gets released maybe next year? I bet the alta price will drop

13. DucktileMedia

DucktileMedia Drone Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2011
    Alameda,CA
    Posted by DucktileMedia, Dec 9, 2015 #33
    Maybe the Alta is featured in Star Wars and they know everyone will want one after the movie releases. I just found out that the cost of a Star Wars DVD is now $55-80! Look yourself on Amazon. I think Freefly is copying the Disney rip-off success model.

14. Bartman

Bartman Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

Jan 5, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Posted by Bartman, Dec 9, 2015 #34
    if they're running their accounting books with as much precision as they're designing products then they might not have enough expenses with the Movi to offset the profits being generated. the ALTA on the other hand is still probably costing them a lot of money so maybe they increase the price of the ALTA to balance against the costs and decrease the price of the Movi so that particular item isn't such a strong profit center.

just my WAG for the day, hope you enjoyed it! lol

15. Str8 Up

Str8 Up Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Posted by Str8 Up, Dec 9, 2015 #35
    Plus Freefly has a very comprehensive quality assurance protocol for each Alta which adds to costs. It's very impressive to see it in person. My personal experiences with DJI in comparison, shows that they must spend almost nothing on QA and instead mass produce and just say "send it back and wait 6-8 weeks" when something goes bad.

16. PilotMan

PilotMan Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    Posted by PilotMan, Jan 4, 2016 #36
    ALTA for sale - Perfect condition with no bumps. Call me at: 808-635-8799

17. R_Lefebvre

R_Lefebvre Arducopter Developer

Jun 29, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Posted by R_Lefebvre, Jan 8, 2016 #37
    What?! Seriously?

Yeah, that is SOOOOOOooooooooo bad. Epic Fail.

I've also heard the rumors that Freefly is using Arducopter. They would be doing so illegally if they are. What do we know?

18. PilotMan

PilotMan Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    Posted by PilotMan, Jan 8, 2016 #38
    Thats just a rumor. Its an amazing machine. I have seen the insides and its all custom built.

19. R_Lefebvre

Jun 29, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Posted by R_Lefebvre, Jan 8, 2016 #39
    Custom build does not mean it is or isn't using Ardupilot. I have worked with a company that built a totally custom board and loaded AP onto it.

20. R_Lefebvre

Jun 29, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Posted by R_Lefebvre, Jan 8, 2016 #40
    IIRC, there was some very good indication that they were using AP on their older system? There are a lot of companies actually using AP without telling people. (I am in no way implying Freefly is on the Alta, just asking the question since others brought it up).