Alta Price goes UP - A LOT.... $11,995.00 WHAT?!?!?!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
WOw.. well there goes my thoughts of getting an Alta...
No change to the unit, just $3000 more.

View attachment 26960

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 4.02.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 4.02.18 PM.png
    344.1 KB · Views: 385

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i think i'm selling my XY-8 with MK electronics and the Movi M5, it'll be less than $12,000!

Pumpkinguy

Great news for the competition! Dont understand the business model myself but I guess if I did I wound be the CEO of freefly .lol

SamaraMedia

Ouch! Not that a realistic dream would have ever landed one of those on my launch pad but suddenly everything else seems affordable. At least the price of the MOVI 5 has come down, almost in reach

Bartman

i don't think one crash makes a problem just yet but i didn't read the whole thread. did more users report the same problem?

Jason S

no Bart they is only one that I know about that the one posted on the freefly forum. It got sent back for review and testing.

Bartman

How Freefly handles it will tell us (and their customers) what the future holds for ALTA customers! Given that Freefly has been pretty responsive to their customers needs/wants I'd guess they'll face up to whatever the problem is and get their community of users through it if it does turn out to be a system problem

jfro

Aerial Fun
I read the whole thread on the alta crash. The pilot was in the middle of a job and freefly wants him to send the unit in (after about 5 days or so) for repair. No replacement or loaner unit even though the dealer said he had a loaner if Freefly approved. Pilot gave up and bought an x8 and presumably will hang his Movi M5 off of that. He says he will sell the hex when he get's it back. Sad story. Only good news is it might be an easier sale with the price increase.

I can't imagine how many they will sell at the new higher price. My understanding it has some great features for flying, but I'd guess a talented pilot with a good setup on an x8 could get many decent shots... Looks like the FreeFly will be only for a select few with deep pockets.

This fellow was flying a Canon 1d if I remember correctly. I think as camera's get smaller and better, the large MR's will become less desirable to some extent. Easier to get up and in the air with smaller units and as camera's get better, only the super high end will demand the red epic and similar cameras in the air. In some cases, it will be more snob appeal than necessity.

A few years back in a controlled camera test, a hacked GH2 was the favorite of one big time hollywood producer after a blind viewing of all the top end movie cameras. He was in the minority, but it shows that the gap is closing in quality.

I think if the Black Magic Micro with r/c control lives up to the quality that Black Magic has been delivering in their other cameras, then it's another step towards taking market share away from the big expensive rigs. Yes, I know it's only 2k, but this is just the first. 4k will be the next generation.....

Old Man

A little off topic but after obtaining a laptop with 4k resolution I can easily see the difference between a 1080 and 4k video, and it's amazing. Black Magic will have to step up to remain competitive.

SamaraMedia

2k? I thought max output was 1080 internally? Is this the studio version that does 2k and needs to be uploaded to a separate drive?

jfro

Aerial Fun
1080p is referred to as 2k as it's 1920x1080.

Old Man. I agree and disagree with you. I've been in digital imaging for almost 35 years. In a small market so didn't have to deal with the hollywood, have the best or highest resolution, so I'm not really referring to that market which is just a small part of the imaging world.

When the 4k sony projectors hit our theaters a few years back, every time I'd go to a movie projected at 4k, I'd check the equipment used to make the movie. At the theater, for the first 10-30 minutes of the movie, I'd pixel peep and analyze the heck out of what I was seeing. In the beginning, there were a few movies being shot at 5k and most were upscaled to 4k from 2k. Over time, it switched to more being shot in 4k.

I see a slight difference when comparing 2k vs 4k at 4k projection. However, once into the subject it's a non issue except for the pixel peepers. My reality is, proper filmed and exposed 2k or 4k subject acquisition, that we see everyday in real life in regards to sharpness and resolution is so far beyond what we see in real life. IE, in the woods, the Christmas tree, my wife from 5 or 10 feet. We do not anywhere that much detail in real life unless it's properly lit and we are right on it or have a magnifying glass.

Nature films are great in 4k, but it's like looking at nature from 12 inches or with a magnifying glass.

Not sure if I'm explaining right, but if I grabbed 100 people in best buy and showed them 2k and 4k content on a 4k 65" screen, not many if any of them would gush over the 4k vs 2k. They'd be looking at the story and even if you asked them to pick the higher resolution, many wouldn't be able to.

Personally, I'd rather have more dynamic range than resolution right now. I have a couple 4k cameras and I rarely shoot in 4k. When I show footage to friends, they are impressed. Exposure and dynamic range trump resolution IMO.

Not sure if I'm explaining this properly. I am not advocating people in Hollywood don't need 4k. I'm just saying like 3d tv, it's over hyped for the majority of people. Both consumers and producers are falling for the marketing and hype... We are beyond what our eyes see naturally.....

jfro

Aerial Fun
If the Black Magic Micro lives up to their past capture quality and the R/C portion works, I doubt if my 4k Black Magic Pocket or 4k GH4 will be in the air much.. It will be BM Micro almost all the time along with my Inspire. BM Micro for quality and Inspire for fun and good enough footage (mostly at 2k) . I've only got 16tb of storage and that's 32TB with backup. 4k quadruples the data. Who needs it.

Looks like I pulled the trigger just in time! Considering the timing with the first crash I'd be inclined to wonder (hope) if this huge increase is freefly realizing the amount of customer service needed to properly back up a product like this and making sure they are rolling that into the cost as well? If Alta truly becomes the pro standard I wouldn't want them to backslide into DJI territory...

With regards to 4k, I don't wanna drive the thread way off topic but I wanna say for the most part jfro is right about dynamic range, wrong about everything else. ;)

Bartman

If the Black Magic Micro lives up to their past capture quality and the R/C portion works, I doubt if my 4k Black Magic Pocket or 4k GH4 will be in the air much.. It will be BM Micro almost all the time along with my Inspire. BM Micro for quality and Inspire for fun and good enough footage (mostly at 2k) . I've only got 16tb of storage and that's 32TB with backup. 4k quadruples the data. Who needs it.
I'm still in touch with Blackmagic and trying to get them to commit to giving a presentation in the "Drone" Radio Live studio for us when it's finally released.

wonder (hope) if this huge increase is freefly realizing the amount of customer service needed to properly back up a product like this
funny you should mention that, it's why i got out of the business before i really even started. the service obligation is HUGE (!!!) and there is a significant manpower requirement to really support customers correctly, especially when you can't pick your customers according to flying/building/maintenance skills. people place an order, they'll expect service and those with the money to start out with an ALTA are going to need A LOT of help which they will expect to get from Freefly!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
"Exposure and dynamic range trump resolution IMO."

10000000% agree to this. having a 12K camera that gets grainy without perfect light is USELESS!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
To me it looks like the electronics have failed badly. I'm surprised a bit that Freefly is still using I2C bus for communication between components - I was under the impression that the industry has agreed that I2C is bad for long distance communication (e.g. bad for communicating between, for example, FC and ESCs). I2C is fine to send data between components on a single PCB, but really prone to interference over long distances. The longer the distance - the easier it is to disrupt the data flow. Especially since the ESCs are placed at the very end of arms in ALTA. They should have used CAN bus - much more resilient when it comes to interference.

Interesting...