Adding a Photohigher AV130 to MK Hexa2

ZAxis

One disadvantage with going to the UK user meet at the weekend is I'm now lusting over every toy I saw there.
After several generations of home made camera gimbles I had nearly cracked it except for smooth roll compensation. Impressed by the Photohigher AV130/200 mounts at the weekend I am now close to the point of giving up on penny pinching and going for the real deal. So I am looking for user experiences with hanging an AV130 under an MK Hexa 2 with a Sony NEX5 fitted to it. Specifically how it is fixed to the MK frame and how to isolate vibration. Any other observations would be welcomed.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
One disadvantage with going to the UK user meet at the weekend is I'm now lusting over every toy I saw there.
After several generations of home made camera gimbles I had nearly cracked it except for smooth roll compensation. Impressed by the Photohigher AV130/200 mounts at the weekend I am now close to the point of giving up on penny pinching and going for the real deal. So I am looking for user experiences with hanging an AV130 under an MK Hexa 2 with a Sony NEX5 fitted to it. Specifically how it is fixed to the MK frame and how to isolate vibration. Any other observations would be welcomed.

The easiest way to do it is get the Droidworx landing gear setup, it will bolt right on to the MK centerplates and the AV will mount on the gear rails of the landing gear setup. Downside is it will cost another $200 or so for the landing gear, when I put the AV130 under either my standard MK Hex or the WKM I can just unbolt from one and bolt on the other. You will also want a separate power supply for the AV servos, the Mk flight controller servo circuit is limited to 1 amp, the two servos moving a loaded camera platform can draw 3X that much current, plus you'll want feed them at least 6 volts.

It is possible to mount the AV130 without the Droidworx gear but it's not a simple bolt on operation and then there's the problem of where to put the battery(s) once the mount is in place.

No one ever said doing it right was going to be cheap...;)

Ken

ZAxis

Ken ..
Thanks for the advice, the bill just keeps rising !
It seems sensible to go for the Droidworx landing gear. I'm already running 6.5v for the servos and will look into separating the whole servo power out to its own regulated circuit.

andy

Bowley

I wonder if its possible to fit the Droidworx 360 type rotatable landing gear to the MK? Would probably work out little if any more expensive than buying the regular landing gear and mount. Just a thought!

Steve

ZAxis

@Dave - Thanks for the tip
@Bowley - 360 kit is tempting but it has only the standard Droidworx type grommet hole mounting so would still need an adaptor making up for an MK frame. Also adds another point to the exponential cost curve of the whole exercise !