A2 FC Firmware 2.3 - Here We ALL go Again

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Sleepy C- don't get too comfortable on the A2, my first failure on the A2 came on the 21st flight where the GPS completely failed. My next failure came on the 7th flight which I was able to recover by moving to manual and on landing the motors would not stop- this was no ESC issue. I was also asked to help someone who had done over 30 flights before their A2 decided to do its own thing finishing in a crash. The unpredictability of the A2's failures is possibly its scariest thing.

Man... this sucks... so I have a rig that is flying great and now I fear it.
How does anyone deal with this?

roryhinds

Droider...

I have my Uber Quad (U7, 80amp ESC, A2, Zen Gh3) on A2 and it's been rock solid for 25 flights. Completely predictable.
Firmware 2.3. I am wondering if esc's matter to the A2.

I had issues with Maytech ESC's and the A2 , but the 80Amp T-motors have been rock solid.

I've had A2 issues with both Maytech and T-motor ESC's so wanted to add it can't be the ESC brand that is the issue.
DJI are loosing a lot of face not responding to this. What an awful company.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Keep your eyes peeled for a forthcoming CAA Information Notice. The word is that the A2 is about to be blacklisted but do not know the details yet.

jetbootz

I see the value of used " obsolete " WKM's about to jump up !
lucky I just go the deal of a lifetime from Boris here, 3 for the price of 1
and I "only" have to buy new GPS units as good old wonderful service DJI who makes a GPS system that only works north of the equator wont help me get them in the air. great service DJI, and now news of a blacklisted A2.... makes me feel a little better as it might squeeze them somewhat ... sweet KARMA

Droider, I have recently had some problems with my A2 one being that the GPS would ping log between zero and 13 satellites even after a rest it did this and its very evident in the iOSD logs as well, the second was, just after this happened, things appeared to resolve themselves and then, just as we where landing the whole machine just tipped as though it has shifted into manual and looking at the logs I can not see anything that would cause this.

I have been looking for others talking about event issues with the A2 to see if others are as concerned as a I because DJI do not appear to care

-Gary

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
It is not for me to reveal the precise source but suffice to say that the subject was discussed at a meeting this last Monday with the CAA, with the conclusion that the CAA intends to release an Information Notice. As I said I was not informed of the intimate details but the inference was a likely ban on the A2 for commercial applications. Presumably this could be reversed if DJI deigned to resolve the issues.

Keep your eyes peeled for a forthcoming CAA Information Notice. The word is that the A2 is about to be blacklisted but do not know the details yet.

Guys, I am not sure if any of you are members of ARPAS in the UK ( If not please consider supporting us) but as an industry body, trying to help represent the professional UAV companies we are currently doing some investigation with the members of the issues of the A2 and are certainly considering a representation to the CAA to at least, issue and advisory notice of the use of the A2.

I also have been trying to get through to DJI support in both Europe and HK to discuss the issue and we have logs showing the GPS problem, but ultimately, it appears to be a one way street.

roryhinds

Ed Tahoe contacted me and asked me for my iOSD logs which I sent him and despite many emails asking for a reply he has yet to respond.

How bad does it have to get before DJI actually steps up and interacts with its end-users?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
The DJI A2 is specifically mentioned in my TC SFOC application here in Canada....... not sure if they are aware of this development in Great Britain.
For reasons of public safety I just recently cancelled out on a contract to do aerial videos for a local 18 hole golf course as a result of these CAA rumours of blacklisting the DJI A2.

This is in spite of the fact that I have almost 18 successful test flights completed in a local and nearly abandoned soccer field.
Low level test flight will continue so that I can resolve some remaining camera BGC issues and hope for a new firmware upgrade sooner than later from DJI that resolves any real issues should they exist..... which seems to be the case from what I am reading in multiple posting here on MRF.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Guys, I am not sure if any of you are members of ARPAS in the UK ( If not please consider supporting us) but as an industry body, trying to help represent the professional UAV companies we are currently doing some investigation with the members of the issues of the A2 and are certainly considering a representation to the CAA to at least, issue and advisory notice of the use of the A2.

I also have been trying to get through to DJI support in both Europe and HK to discuss the issue and we have logs showing the GPS problem, but ultimately, it appears to be a one way street.

Cant fookin wait! Maybe people will start taking the safety issues of the A2 seriously now, especially if the CAA issue a bulletin. EuroUSC issued a bulletin last week but did not mention the A2 specifically, shame as they and their examiners know how unpredictable it is.

Gary I can send you copies of the emails I have from DJI admitting to various problems. They promised to sort the issues and questioned everything and tried to make me look like a amateur. When I sent them the pictures of my builds and the videos of the issues they stopped responding to my emails… Now should I post the emails addresses of the guys who promised to sort it out at DJI? If I can be any further help on this I will be more than happy to submit all my findings and test reports.

I also endorse your comment for all UK operators to join ARPAS its the only way we can stand united and have a say in the UK and Europe. I joined in the Sub 20 days and will be rejoining with out a doubt. I have completed the questionnaire.

D

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

Rory, I did respond to you as soon as I received a response from DJI. As I stated to you. The files are incomplete. It shows the controller was in GPS but had no satellites shown. However, there was no stick movement shown either. I would be hesitant to make a conclusion based on the data. I have asked DJI to make one more attempt to make some sense with the data that we do have, which is very limited. Gary if you would like a contact with DJI please PM me with your contact information and I will forward the information to DJI. Just a matter of note to the A2 users here, I am one of them and it is my money that is in the air, I have requested flight data from several of you and have forwarded it on to DJI. When I get a response, I will contact you as well. DJI is not ignoring this issue. But unfortunately not all crashes have data available to analysis. Without that making a conclusion is a shot in the dark.

baja-king

Here for the ride :)

Attachments

• Notice 1.jpg
    Notice 1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 297
  • Notice 2.jpg
    Notice 2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 257

roryhinds

Thanks Ed, yes we are in communication via email now which is fantastic.

I've sent Ed and DJI all the iOSD logs I have. For some reason the first time I connected the iOSD only 2 files came up which where just logs from testing the rig on the bench before flying.
Hopefully they have what they need now to get the data and find out why this happened.

Tahoe Ed

Is this the one you're referencing Dave:

View attachment 23729View attachment 23730

Baja thank you for posting this. I think that there is some wisdom in the statements made in the document. It shows that for many crashes there is plenty of blame to pass around. I agree that manufacturers can do a better job of communicating the requirements of their systems. Some components do not play well together. When that incompatibility exists, which manufacturer to you blame? What responsibility does the owner/builder have in the equation? These are very complex issues that hopefully some wise people figure out.

wm1

What does ARPAS stand for?