a newbie looking for a copter for professional gopro filming

tikigod19

Haha yes. I'm rather worried about the whole flying in public thing. Nice quiet HUGE piece of land required for practise me thinks.

I'm going to go for 5000mah 3s lipos (and when I can find some in stock, graupner er 10x5 props) does it matter what charger I get or are they all the same?

tstrike

pendejo grande
That's a tough one, I'm using the hitec X-1 but it's fan is starting to make a funny noise after a year. Don't go uber cheap though like the some of the cheap eeeblay specials. Maybe look for one (like the hitec) that has a built in power supply. Are you building your rig or will it be RTF?

Fiveflat

Banned
Did you end up going with the 2216-900kv motors? I thought I had settled my decision on those as well but ecalc says for my AUW, the 2814-11 gives slightly better efficiency...

As far as chargers go, I have the Hyperion 720 net3.
It's really cool with a built in power supply and loads of info. The only thing it doesn't have is internal resistance measurements.
HP-EOS0720iNET3-ADUS-L.jpg

tikigod19

yeah went for the torxpower (tiger) 2216 upgrade. Made a late decision to go for the DX8 with telemetry module after reading up the kind of information you can get back to the TX via that thing, thats the kind of thing that would interest me more than range or feel/build quality. Hope its ok..

I went for:

F550 with Naza & GPS
Tiger 2216 900 motors
8" dji props (they didnt have graupner 10x5 in stock but will be getting these)
Dx8 with receiver and telemetry module
Dubro prop balancer
Charger (whichever you guys recommend)
And I think 5000mah 3S lipos x2 (is 25c enough or should I go 30c or 35c.. remember I'm all about slow and steady now power!)

Gimbal comes next but lets learn to fly the thing first!

tikigod19

Did you end up going with the 2216-900kv motors? I thought I had settled my decision on those as well but ecalc says for my AUW, the 2814-11 gives slightly better efficiency...

As far as chargers go, I have the Hyperion 720 net3.
It's really cool with a built in power supply and loads of info. The only thing it doesn't have is internal resistance measurements.
HP-EOS0720iNET3-ADUS-L.jpg

Thanksmate. That thing is certainly pricy.. 3 times the price of the cheapies.. I don't want to burn my house down but i don't want to pay the earth..

Langdale

Now go out and buy the wife a HUGE bunch of flowers, you're going to be spending lots of dosh from now on so you're going to need all the brownie points you can get from now on.

Peter

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
I`ve started using these Gemfans 10X5 from Flyduino,a lot more affordable than Graupners ,and quite tough too.

dr427

Trying to figure it out!
Mine arrived today. Got it put somewhat together. Not ready for flight yet though! Plus I am waiting on the batwing to arrive for my go pro. My motors are MT2216-11 KV 900. Props are APC 10 x 3.8.

I am concerned about the weight of the Hard Pack Gen Ace 5000 mah 3S 40C I bought.

View attachment 10559View attachment 10560

Attachments

• DJIF550Flamewheel2.jpg
    DJIF550Flamewheel2.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 335
  • IMGP0582.jpg
    IMGP0582.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 231

rwskier

Multi Rotor Video
My first thought is don't run the dJI props that you say you bought. Get some of the "new" dji props 10 x 3.8. I have bought them and and very happy with the perfomance. From what I have read on here the originals are very unreliable and these appear to much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

tikigod19

My first thought is don't run the dJI props that you say you bought. Get some of the "new" dji props 10 x 3.8. I have bought them and and very happy with the perfomance. From what I have read on here the originals are very unreliable and these appear to much better.

Yeah I have heard so many bad things about the djis I wanted to upgrade to graupner but out of stock everywhere. They have some 10x5 carbon props that are the same pitch but a bigger surface area for £17.95 a pair, do you think these are worth a try? Don't want to get it with dji props fitted and be too scared to fly!

tikigod19

Thanks, am I right in saying the 3.8 in that deception means they will needed modification to fit on the motor shaft or is that something else?

tstrike

pendejo grande
The second number on a prop (3.8) is the theoretical distance of travel on one revolution. So a 10x3.8 will travel 3.8 inches for every complete turn of the prop. You'll still need to get some adapters if you decide to go with graupner 10"'s since their hole is 8mm and most motors (not dji) have 5 or 6mm prop bolts.

tikigod19

Thanks very much, I read the graupners should drop straight on but tough to get it confirmed. Just bought some 5000mah 3s lipos and a charger. Props are the last part of the jigsaw but can't get graupners anywhere... Need to decide or I'll be too scared to fly it on the djis!

Oh and loving my little mQX that arrived yesterday... I need practise!

tstrike

pendejo grande
I think the tiger motors you're getting have a 6mm prop bolt, stock dji motors have 8mm prop bolt which is perfect for them since the dji props have an 8mm hole that's keyed. Don't bother with the graups just yet (if ever), go with some gemfan 10".

edit: sorry, I'm wrong, they are 5mm. Start with a few sets of these-http://quadcopters.co.uk/10x45-pair-of-propellers-epp-327-p.asp
they come with little plastic inserts that reduce the prop hole.

Last edited by a moderator:

tikigod19

Ok tstrike so just to confirm those ones you linked to will fit straight on and are good while I'm practising and likely to break some.. But I'd need to buy some decent ones when in sort out the gimbal and gopro?

tstrike

pendejo grande
They should fit with the little inserts you'll get with the props. When you're ready to hang a camera, buy a Dubro prop balancer which is slightly more expensive then the magnetic type balancers but so much better (with good resell value also) and learn to balance your props. See, one more thing to add to the list of things you didn't need a month ago...

kloner

Aerial DP
when you crash a cf prop you destroy a motor.... stick to the softest props you can, just don't fool yourself that when you wad it up and say it looks great, that's when the hubs crack and you run into problems. if a prop has any mark on it whatsoever replace it