a newbie looking for a copter for professional gopro filming

kloner

Aerial DP
alot of people like the turnigy 9x......it is a popular radio to upgrade to lrs systems for fpv. there are hacks for the firmware, aftermarket stuff you can put in it to change the way it is...... I use futaba and JR and wouldn't hesitate to buy a rig over a 9x. That is possible one of the easier parts of a rig to swap especaily after you got familliar with any of them. curves are curves, expo is expo, there all pretty much the same

kloner

Aerial DP
I'll be with my camera man today that flies them on his disco and i'll get you the exact number to the ones i like.... think there 2216 - 880kv, but sit tight

tikigod19

finally! Its looking up on the motor front! Excellent.. i think they'll be the ones.

Also this futaba t8j seems like a very good price.. what am I missing?

Do I want mode 1 or mode 2? Am I right in saying thats just which way round the thumbsticks are in terms of throttle or can you configure that yourself whichever one you buy?

OR is this thing overkill and am I ok with the tunigy 9x.. thats my next decision.

I realise I'm asking a million questions.. that is (believe it or not) because I'm finally getting there and about to make the purchase

Last edited by a moderator:

tikigod19

music to my ears Kloner. thanks for all of your advice.

Seeing as I plan on purchasing the tx elsewhere I can do that at a later date.. between 8J and the turnigy 9x. turnigy looks plasticy which doesnt bother me to be honest if it does what i need it to do but being a newbie I dont know what I'd lose going for the turnigy instead of the 8j. I know I'd gain a channel and save about £150..

I'm looking at the v2 firmware version if it makes a difference
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-9...sGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4171b2c470

I did ask earlier but had no confirmation.. 8 (or 9 if i go turnigy) channels ok for naza with gps and 2 axis gimbal?

tikigod19

excellent news.. it seems there is a big mod scene for the 9x which cant be a bad thing, but while I'm trying to learn everything else I'd like to buy it and just use it without much modification.. as long as I buy the V2 firmware I take it I'm ok to go?

Also it appears you cant change mode 1 for mode 2 in the software on this one (at least I dont think you can).. what is the generally recognised one to buy or is it personal preference?

Malinois1

i'd get a 450 arf... arms are cheap... you can get decent quality when you nail it, etc. this is a disco which is the same basic thing, just more for fpv.... naza controller, big motors but that's just me

those wire isolators breezemont is selling is the bomb for instant jello free footage.

I agree with Kloner. F450 ARF would be the way to go. I have nothing against the Phantom, its just that when you crash not sure how easy it is to rebuild. With the f450 when you crash it is an easy rebuild and the replacement parts are pretty cheap. Done right you can get some pretty good video footage with it as well. But you may have to do some experimenting first. I was able to eliminate much of the Jello and vibrations after quite a bit of trial and error with just a cheap gimble.

Rehost

Tiki did you order that thing yet??

Hahaha sorry I got a little carried away with other projects lately.

I see you are scared to fly! That's why we recommended the Naza. It is the easiest thing out there. Once your radio is properly setup, taking off is literally a one stick affair. Raise throttle and she floats! Naza will take care of the rest. Watch her lean into the wind to compensate, it's absolutely beautiful. Panic and let go of the sticks, she will hover and await your orders. I'm still trying to put one on my wife :(

Fear not buddy, sometimes we over think things. Kloner is right about the motors, but if you want to just jump in, no problem. Before loading her up play a bit, practice, then swap the motors out for t-motors or Sunnyskys. Even if she drops from the sky, damage is cheap. Then when you're ready, go mod crazy, she can take it.

Can't train a pilot on the ground, you gotta take to the sky and get a feel for it. You will change things on her over time, no one I know just buys a multirotor and doesn't modify it in some shape or form.

Once you get your bird we will still be here for you!

Now go! Buy more, think less! LOL

Daniel

tstrike

pendejo grande
my first flight a year ago!

Everything Rehost says is true, one things for sure, your first copter won't be your last copter.

tikigod19

Don't worry guys I'm ready to buy, if the shop wasn't closed today I'd be around £900 lighter.. No more questions now (until I crash and need repair advice!)

I can't wait!