$30K Mistake

maxwelltub

Well spoken Tabb, its the price you pay. All the more reason to keep safety in mind and not fly over crowds of people.

Quinton

+1

IMO, it is only the amateur that boldly says, "I've never crashed before".

What!!
The whole point is not to crash, I'm sure theres dozens of pros on here that can state, they have never the "C" word.
That's the whole point of flying, I bet there's not too many real plane or helicopter pilots that would agree with that statement, at least the ones that are here to tell the story.
If you think that crashing makes someone a pro, then its time to get the simulator out.

yeehaanow

I see what you're saying, and I didn't mean to imply that crashing makes you pro. I just mean that if you've done this long enough, chances are you've crashed. And, the new guy who hasn't yet crashed often has a false sense of their abilities and will tend to make riskier choices because they haven't had that experience yet of seeing a bird go down.

Quinton

I see what you're saying, and I didn't mean to imply that crashing makes you pro. I just mean that if you've done this long enough, chances are you've crashed. And, the new guy who hasn't yet crashed often has a false sense of their abilities and will tend to make riskier choices because they haven't had that experience yet of seeing a bird go down.

Sorry did not mean to come across like that, have had a bad week :)
And I see where your coming from, have not been doing this too long like others on here, but my no1 objective is always to try and stay in the air, however I do understand the false sense scenario from a couple of near misses, if everyone experienced it then they would all fly a lot safer.

kloner

Aerial DP
heres my turn.... sucked, 38lbs with an epic and arri follow focus/iris, 40feet up, hit like a rock,,,,,all the electronics were destroyed, but the frame took it like a man, landing gear never touched... cost $3k to fix......That cinestar took a hell of a whack

View attachment 16987

Attachments

• IMG_1675.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 188

kloner

Aerial DP
2 motor bearings exploded mid flight.....now that i'm thinking about it, it sounded alot like homies post here i just drifted off on with the maytec esc thing...... it was a mess, 6 months ago so now it's just a hicup in the getty up.... you can see the arri system, green stripe.... that was worth more than the camera,,,, it bumped the lens and made the cine part not so smooth.....arri 25mm 1.2... dam son,,,, small scratch in the body but still worked like op, knocked the sensor backspacing out

We almost blacked out Newark.....

sk8brd

i known of ty evans for many many years he has been "the" skateboard filmemaker. this guy has pretty much made or worked on every major skate video release that has come from the skateboard industry since the 90's. He directed along side grammy winning spike jonze-who is co owner of girl skateboards all the latest lakai foot ware videos.

these video's have been the best of the best video's ever to hit skateboarding ever-in a league of their own. it's safe to they were getting the shot and things went a different way. if you look at the ending in the last lakai video- pretty sweet you will see there was a sequence shot by a multi from years ago before brushless gimbals. he was the first i know of to use a multi in any professional skate video. he is now head dp of Brainfarm skateboarding.

i can assure you along side their multiple 275k cineflex systems mounted on the back of pickup trucks, utv's or modified golf carts or full size helicopter access i'm sure they will survive. These videos they work on push every boundary of whats possible cinematically in action sports in multiple ways- camera movement being one of them. These fellows are far from hobbyist with lots of money.lol..

when you pushing the envelope things happen in all areas of life. to assume one will never crash because your rig is solid or your a pro is just poor judgement-you will it's just a matter of time especially in an environment where you doing many takes a day for a job or pushing it for the art of it.. even just hovering in your yard doing a flight time test- things can go wrong. There's too many variables to control beside flying skills and build skills. .... i like the philosophy of being comfortable with variable change and if you haven't crashed ever before your simply not flying enough..:nevreness:

here's them in a real copter the following day thats being used in the same production....http://instagram.com/p/l9i4YhkJa4/

side note- y'all know who brainfarm cinema is? i know some do on here.

brain farms last big gig for red bull media https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh29_SERH0Y

gearing up for their next red bull media gig ..multirotor content- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7e6_L7fQJ0

Last edited by a moderator: