$30K Mistake

Str8 Up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 513

Str8 Up

I feel bad for him also. These are the times when you find out what the small print in your insurance policy means.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
If you're going to play with big boy toys you better either have deep pockets or really good insurance!

It hurts just to look at all that $ reduced to a pile of junk in a matter of seconds, I've had a similar feeling before but on a much lesser scale...

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
it's brainfarm, they can handle it. did you guys see tabs response on instagram.....

judging by the camera laying there and what looks like movi, 30K sounds like about half depending what glass was on it

Str8 Up

They said the Epic still worked. They are built like tanks. The Canon lens was toast so $30k is close with the Movi busted.

If it flies it crashes....this is the price you have to pay from time to time for getting after it like the Brainfarm guys do. They have broken lots of gear, bones, and hearts. In the end these instances fade into the past and you are left with what you have created which lives on. I have certainly trashed my share of cameras.....I decided early on that an inevitable part of choosing this career would be some destruction. The key is to make sure that the creating outweighs the destroying ;)

Tabb

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
If pushing it as you say Tabb it brings to my mind the good old saying 'there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are very few old and bold pilots'

Quinton

Looks like a Canon 16-35mm, so about £1200/$1700
Thats the difference between USA and UK, if that happened in the UK there would probably be an investigation, and you could end up grounded for not flying safely enough.
Having too much money should not be an excuse to fly within your capabilities, probably a reason why everyone needs regulated.

SoCal Blur

... probably a reason why everyone needs regulated.

Um... no. I'm okay with "punishing" those that cause problems but not regulating everyone else because of the deeds of he few. In many professions, Pros push the envelope and sometimes it bites them. But it also makes them better. Take MotoGP for example. The pros push to get the advantage and sometimes they crash. Those that win push the hardest. That's just part of the "Job".

cootertwo

Same crap goes on with just about anything. Ban the drone, the pilot, the manufacturer, ban the gun, the bullet, the person holding the gun. Lock us all up in padded cells, and only let us out on sunny days. Wrap us up in bubble wrap. No sharp or pointed instruments allowed, don't run with scissors in your hands, don't talk to strangers, don't drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, look twice before crossing the street, on and on, and on. Don't worry, our GOBMENT will protect us stupid people from ourselves.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Regulation doesn't mean banning though, or even preventing sensible use. Personally, I feel that the regulation we face in the UK is spot on. The CAA have taken a 'light touch' approach to it and this has enabled the start of many businesses in a manner that still protects the public's safety. I have no problems with this. If no regulation existed the world would be pure anarchy which I suspect most would agree is not good. The key is finding the right balance to the amount of regulation that is required.

Quinton

Take MotoGP for example. The pros push to get the advantage and sometimes they crash. Those that win push the hardest. That's just part of the "Job".

MotoGP is very well regulated, if it wasn't there would be many more crashes.
There are certain things that require regulation, you need to mitigate the things that have a very high potential of killing (in my opinion) there are always "headers" out there that give no regards to any rules/regulations, they are the ones that can get things banned before any regulation is in place.

SoCal Blur

Regulation doesn't mean banning though, or even preventing sensible use. Personally, I feel that the regulation we face in the UK is spot on. The CAA have taken a 'light touch' approach to it and this has enabled the start of many businesses in a manner that still protects the public's safety. I have no problems with this. If no regulation existed the world would be pure anarchy which I suspect most would agree is not good. The key is finding the right balance to the amount of regulation that is required.

So what you're saying is that because its not regulated in the US that Model aircraft usage is pure anarchy? I will have to dissagree with you there. Regulation has its place but not just for the sake of regulating (read controlling and getting revenue). I hold many licenses - some of them makes sense and some of them are clearly a way for the government to make revenue.

Anyway, we can agree to dissagree - I don't want to hijack this thread any longer. Sorry OP!

Lets be a bit more realistic and pragmatic about the risks. I ask you to think of your loved one or friend who has been killed by an octo carrying an EPIC....oh wait....nobody has.

Read this with a sense of humor:

In the lawn maintenance industry, there's a terrible menace afoot - the weed whacker. In the right hands this powerful machine can edge the finest yard. But in the wrong hands it can bloody a toe or cut down a tulip. The government must come down hard on this dastardly tool of destruction.

Seriously though, take care of your machine and fly within your limits and you'll avoid a lot of headache. But even the most careful and experienced pilot will make a mistake at some point if they decide to get out of bed in the morning. I hate to see a photo like that - I feel for the pilot. But they are experienced guys from everything I've heard, and sometimes accidents happen. And in the end, no one got hurt, and that's all that matters.