1st Contest For 2012....let's get started

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hello all,
Sitting in a hotel room for hours at a time allows me the chance to get caught up with stuff and with the new year approaching it's time to talk contests again. I'll get to work finalizing the prize but we need to hash out how the contest will be conducted. As always, we seek maximum participation and freedom to be creative. It may or may not be related to the prize but we're talking still photography this time. To prevent entrants from pulling their entries from existing photo collections we've got to make the entry requirement something specific and multi-rotor related. I'd also like to see your mugs so putting face to name might be a requirement worth adding.
So, to throw an idea out there, how about a photo of you with a multi-rotor helicopter either flying or stationary in some interesting way. I guess you could maybe call it a self portrait of you and your equipment (helicopter equipment that is :highly_amused: ).
Here's the rub, you only get one entry and they will be submitted to me. At some point we'll display them and you'll have the opportunity to vote. I still like the vote followed by random drawing as it makes the final award exciting and it keeps newbs in the running. We may also have the sponsor involved in the selection of a winner but I'm hesitant to make a jury to pick the winner as there will always be cries of favoritism.
I look forward to your input on this. What say you?
Bart

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
if i can get my y6 built in time I'll give it a shot, my little quad will only carry a keychain cam:(

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

Bartman

the photo can be a still of you and your kopter artfully posing for a camera boringly placed on a tripod or stack of dictionaries (you know, those books with long lists of words that we used to reference for proper spelling and useage). still looking for ideas to make the contest rules come together.
Thanks Jake, get that thing built and strike a pose.
Bart

matwelli

I'm in :)

Stacky had a cool idea last year, a still photo, but it must have the multirotor's SHADOW in the shot, to show where the shot came from

Bartman

i am excellent at having the shadow in the shot. damn i knew that would eventually come in handy!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Can I be nude? I'm not sure my shadow would show up! :) Or does this automatically get my account fried by the administrator?

Last edited by a moderator:

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
here just a thought

how would you know if its a real multirotor or a cardboard cut-out hung on some fishing line from a pole etc

just like some of those fake ufo pics etc

need to tighten the rules up abit

me thinks

keith

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@ Bart why aint you down the east end having a sing song with the pearly queens... or even better munching on a steak at the Argentinian Steak house!

I got my shot planned if I can get the goolies together and a good second/third flying camera! or may be a pole cam!

Dave

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
i think i can finally join. injust hope there bo NO MORE criticism from the self proclaim pros it will be fun if we leave the technicalities behind and focus on the artful/fun/welcoming part of the contest.

DennyR

Here's an idea. The theme of the contest is show your own shadow OR reflection in a interesting and creative way with any backdrop. No people involved. No photoshop, just a straight image from the onboard camera. Nice and simple?

NB. any cgi or overlays can be picked up with the latest detection software - be warned. Only color correction, cropping and levels allowed.
(This levels the playing field)

Entries direct to Bart and then placed in a gallery with no names attached only entry number. Voting as normal, One winner at the end and no lottery.
(This creates a competition and not a lottery) with any luck the best will win and why not?

Gallery goes up at the end of the entry period for one week of voting.
(That way no one gets to see or copy, or gain an advantage by holding back.)

More interesting if we have to wait to see what comes out. Bart can show a daily tally of the numbers that come in.

At the end of the contest the voters names will be shown against the entries. Any obvious collusion between entrants could result in disqualification. This is when the voters who will also be contestants get to show their face. (Mug shots)

Only one vote per person and voting for yourself is allowed. Each entrant may submit up to three entries.

Or how about another twist, the top five entries go up along with the mug shots and the winner has to guess which face goes with each picture. Now that could be fun. anyone could win.

DennyR

i think i can finally join. injust hope there bo NO MORE criticism from the self proclaim pros it will be fun if we leave the technicalities behind and focus on the artful/fun/welcoming part of the contest.

A somewhat disturbing remark. Technicalities or ambiguous rules makes no difference. By your own admission what you seem to be saying is that you can finally join in because your standard of entry might not be as professional as some others. Why cant it be just as much fun for you as anyone else.

When Richard Branson lines up his cars at the Australian GP he will not believe for one second that he can challenge the Mclarens. the Ferraris or the Mercs. But he does not go about the place winging about it, he competes to his best and learns as he goes. Surely it can be just as much fun coming last if fun is what you really want from it.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I don't think the "shadow" thing will work here in the UK. In the winter, the sun is so low the shadows are a mile long...that's if you can actually see the sun! It's been overcast here for weeks now :(

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bartman

So maybe the "no photoshop" thing is a good idea to keep the focus on the real stuff...

i would expect a "No Photoshop" rule to be in the final contest format. i'd also expect your support in outlawing obvious color and/or light enhancements. but, alas, the balance between rules and creative freedom. i'd hate to see a talented newcomer beaten by an old salt with lots of flashy tech tricks.

i appreciate the input so far. let's keep it going

bart

matwelli

I don't think the "shadow" thing will work here in the UK. In the winter, the sun is so low the shadows are a mile long...that's if you can actually see the sun! It's been overcast here for weeks now :(

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get creative, fly at nite with the streetlights casting your shadow against some feature/wall/whatever

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
How could you forget the Red bull Racing how could you ! Personally hurt as an austrian :)

Ups forgot the quote, WAS DIRECTED TOWARDS YOU DENNYR

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Get creative, fly at nite with the streetlights casting your shadow against some feature/wall/whatever

Thanks Matt...but we have stupid yellow streetlights, the kind meant for fog, but we never have any fog! They don't cast shadows.

Never mind, I'll rig up a torch and mirrors, I'm sure I will win this next one :)