Turn your f550 or 450 into a 600,700,800 plus size

jhardway

I am in the middle of making my own larger copter these day, something with a lower kv motors and big props. I started off with an s800, but after having it for now since May I have come to the conclusion to move on.

I love the design however out of the 32 week since I originally took delivery on it. I have only had it in my possession for 7 of them. To keep the post short I will leave it a that and may be start another post "is the 800 worth it".

Along the way with the 800 I came across Skyrover and have been able to closely see some of the products they are bringing to market. One of the parts that I have below is a boom arm that works with F550 and F450 frame. There are three components to the arm, first being the bracket that fits right in to the frame where the arm comes into the center hub, the second is the motor mount puck, and the third carbon fiber boom arm.

Because the components are all separate and built to work with each other this allows whomever to make an arm up to any size desired. In my case I got them in a size that would allow me to put 14 inch(have not checked but up 15inch) props on my unit. I believe the cost to swap over a f550 is something like $400 and f450 = $280.

For what I can tell so far the components are strong well thought out and solid. I took the photos below for all to see. I am looking forward to get it up and running. I plan on keeping this post open and add pictures as I build the copter over the next few weeks.

Happy holidays all.

Jack

View attachment 8280View attachment 8281View attachment 8282View attachment 8283

Attachments

• mail_eDSC_4500.jpg
    mail_eDSC_4500.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 597
  • mail_eDSC_4503.jpg
    mail_eDSC_4503.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 497
  • mail_eDSC_4511.jpg
    mail_eDSC_4511.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 452
  • mail_eDSC_4515.jpg
    mail_eDSC_4515.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 470

nytram

I very nearly went for the s800 but got pointed in another direction..

I think I have the strongest frame on the market!!!

There are a few people on here with them and talk a big crashes without any frame damage.. I have one where waypoint took it in too a roof and fell to the ground From 25ft+. No frame damage. But all the props got buggered and I spent 5 hours putting the gimbal straight (my gimbal is a aluminium )

Martyn

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
somehow the sky rover page it not available. Wondering if these would fit on a tbs frame ! Especially the boom clamps that go between the center plate. Thanks for posting this wasn't aware of it and could be a solution if my CNC guy still hasn't finished my modded arms for my TBS !

Boris

Excellent start. Once the 4 to 6 CF tubes meet at the center with a 2nd reinforcement point for all tubes, this will be a complete solution.

jhardway

Crazyhorse on your question, they are manufactured not custom made, the booms, he has a standard cut for them and each have a hole in the middle of each end, that is to put a locking pin to say in it so it will not twist if that became a issue.

I am going to weigh out the total weight on an arm so you can think about what they are. Also if for any reason any one is interested, go to the skyrover site and look under contact, you will then be able to touch base with them by email or phone, right now I believe that is the best way to get them if anyone's interested.

zooks

Crazyhorse on your question, they are manufactured not custom made, the booms, he has a standard cut for them and each have a hole in the middle of each end, that is to put a locking pin to say in it so it will not twist if that became a issue.

I am going to weigh out the total weight on an arm so you can think about what they are. Also if for any reason any one is interested, go to the skyrover site and look under contact, you will then be able to touch base with them by email or phone, right now I believe that is the best way to get them if anyone's interested.

Any weight yet?

jhardway

weight, I can give you a ball park mainly. I forgot to do it before I sautered the esc's to the board however with that said I was able to get a weight of the whole arm assembled which is 265g

After looking up the weight of the motor, that was 188g so if you take away that weight you are looking at 80ish g's. each part of the hub weights 75g's. the total weight of the frame with out motors should come in at less then 700g. Its very solid assembly.

I will have some more photos soon.

Thank you for posting this mod! I see that a lot of people seemed interested, including myself. Looking forward to see additional info.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Sorry.. I dont see how the hell the centre plates can accommodate anything that size or am I missing something? Then sticking camera mounts and got knows what else on it IMO is asking for disaster.

Look at the CP's on the S800 they aint that size for nothing.

Dave

jhardway

Here are some photos of the build, I am just about there. All I have to do is install the props and then launch. The weather here East Coast mid Atlantic has not been the best for flying, So I am hoping the weather will give me a window over the next week. When the parts were sent, another package of the same went to a person out in California. I have been able to touch base with the guy in CA and he's has already flown his copter and has said good things. I am hoping to talk with him again over the next day or two. As I get mine up I will report back. What I can see so far is good, the frame is stiff and has very little flex, which is something I was seeing with the s800 and did not like, to me the 800 vibrated like the 550 but much worst, I chalk that up to the way the arms are designed.

The photos are a morph of me practicing with shooting product photography and telling Bob at Skyrover I would send him photos in case he wanted to use them down the road. I also like to play around with this stuff so here they are.

Best wishes all and hope everyone had a nice holiday, and for those who flew, you got up and down with no issues.

Jack

View attachment 8436View attachment 8437View attachment 8438View attachment 8439View attachment 8440

I

Attachments

• mail_e_no_armPuckDSC_4697.jpg
    mail_e_no_armPuckDSC_4697.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 553
  • mail_e_no_DSC_4736.jpg
    mail_e_no_DSC_4736.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 458
  • mail_e_no_FrameDSC_4696.jpg
    mail_e_no_FrameDSC_4696.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 453
  • mail_e_no_FrameMountDSC_4688.jpg
    mail_e_no_FrameMountDSC_4688.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 444
  • mail_e_NoLogo_Mount_DSC_4663.jpg
    mail_e_NoLogo_Mount_DSC_4663.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 438

Looks very sharp! Very impressive indeed.... I am sure we will hear about that one,,

Keep us informed of the flight test results.

VINHEX

Top draw well done. Keep me up to date need to do something like this..

Vin
DJI F550, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Graupner 10x5 e-Props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
TM1000, Fatshark Attitude SD, Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's, Bank balance 0.00
DJI iOSD

jhardway

Here is a vid of the very first flight, sorry I did not have the camera align great but over all you can see how it all went. Over all if flew great, i was very happy with the results.

The flight time was basically 8.5 min on a 5000 (6s) battery and when i charged it, it took in 2350mha if I calculate it out for 4000mha, the results would be around 14.3 min on a signal battery.

Also the first flight was straight from the bench to the grass, the only testing I did before lifting off was in my garauge where I spun the prop to make sure all the motors were spinning the right direction and to see how it would respond with stick inputs.

The first time it took it left the ground was in this vid.

Around the 2:30 mark in the vid you will see I cam in fairly aggressive.

winds for the vid were light.

let me know what you think.

cheers Jack

Last edited by a moderator: