2015 NAB News: Blackmagic Micro Cinema Cam, Tiny, Drone-Specific Super16 RAW Camera

econfly

Metabones Speedbooster will drop the crop factor to 1.75. 14mm lens becomes around 24mm. Of course you have to shell out $600 and it will add weight. Haven't tried one yet but they get mostly rave reviews.

I would go with Canon to MFT, but the problem is finding light and wide glass. Like you say, great reviews (and definitely a nice option on the ground if you already have Canon lenses) but things get heavy fast going this route.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
This definitely seems like a really nice option. Curious to see what becomes of it. Hopefully someone here will get some real world testing with it.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I just posted this on the other forum, but it's pertinent here.

First thing we need in Drone Cameras is control via our radios. Hopefully, Black Magic got this right.

The good.
Better dynamic range than comparable cameras the same price range.
Works with 4/3 lens.
This camera seems to be make for our drones and appears to give us our choices of the 2-4 features that we can get with the average number of available channels. 5 stars on that one.
Better codec than similar priced cameras to give you a better looking file.
Using standard size canon e-6 batteries, which many of us have a bunch of.
12V jack for external battery.
Buttons to operate camera on front. Looks like good connections layout for drones.
Has composite out so don't need HDMI converter if you don't need hidef on your ground station.

The not so good.
Top frame rate of 30p.
File sizes are larger but that's partly the reason for the better image.
No LCD on back.
Black Magic camera's tend to be battery hogs.
Going to be mostly a drone or action cam.
They don't mention is they can activate the IOS on some of the lens that don't have a hard switch... Not always needed, but nice to have in a pinch.

Overall, excited to try one out.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
micro four thirds mount....i just bought a Zuiko 12-40 PRO lens for the GH4 i also picked up recently....but how much better would this new camera be than the GH4 I just bought? smaller, lighter, yes but better? how?

jfro

Aerial Fun
It goes to 1080p 60 but you lose the global shutter over 30fps.

Can you link or tell us where you heard this from. I've only seen the up to 30fps on the global shutter. I have been reading on this off and on all day and haven't seen or heard anything about non global shutter shooting or higher frame rates..... This is good news...

econfly

I'm very enthused about this little camera, but no way would I trade my GH4 for it. Apart from size and weight the GH4 will dominate it in just about every way. The only possible exception is 1080p 24 or 30 where the global shutter on the micro might have a slight edge in some circumstances. The blackmagic also might have maybe one more stop of dynamic range, but that is a spec that is very difficult to compare on paper. From experience, I think the BMPCC and GH4 both produce amazing 1080p. The GH4 also offers 4K, stills, lower noise at higher ISO, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

econfly

micro four thirds mount....i just bought a Zuiko 12-40 PRO lens for the GH4 i also picked up recently....but how much better would this new camera be than the GH4 I just bought? smaller, lighter, yes but better? how?

By the way, that 12-40 is a very nice looking lens. Definitely tell us what you think of it.

Filthy

That's a totally different camera. No internal recording. Needs a Shogun or some other external recorder capable of capturing the 4k. The studio version isn't really optimized for aerial work.

Bartman

By the way, that 12-40 is a very nice looking lens. Definitely tell us what you think of it.

I'd like to take credit for picking it out of the myriad of choices available but I was directed to it by @Benjamin Rowland of Yonderbluefilms.com .

Once NAB is over I'll have a chance to fly the MK/Mōvi a little and get back into the swing of things.

econfly

I'm getting this little micro in the air one way or another. Pre-ordered from B&H, and the forecast is delivery in mid July. Based on the BMPCC I have high expectations. We will see how it turns out.

Bartman

I'm getting this little micro in the air one way or another. Pre-ordered from B&H, and the forecast is delivery in mid July. Based on the BMPCC I have high expectations. We will see how it turns out.

Review! Review! Review!