2015 NAB News: Blackmagic Micro Cinema Cam, Tiny, Drone-Specific Super16 RAW Camera

Exactly that. I've been a huge BMPCC fan from its beginning, we used it a lot for testing. Now this form factor + global shutter? Man...

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
composite video ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SamaraMedia

jwoike....you really know how to spoil a party!

Sorry ;) I've been led down too many paths with great possibilities only to be let down. That said, it does look impressive and well thought out and will be on my short list for new cameras.

Bartman

what else do you need to know? it's got analog video out! image quality is meaningless to me now! lol

SamaraMedia

lol. I can wait a few more months before making any decisions. Just concerned with gimbal setup etc...I've only seen it mounted on one gimbal and that is in the ad...

SamaraMedia

Almost finished with a Tarot X6 that I would love to fly this camera under but haven't begun to tune my Quadframe DSLR gimbal with CP yet. Always something to tinker with. Looking to maiden this weekend without gimbal, first attempt with Super X FC too.

econfly

composite video ooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a game changer... Assuming I can find a decent gimbal that will fly it. Looking at the Gremsy H6 specs today and at least on paper it seems preferable to the Defy G2X -- certainly lighter.

Bartman

we're supposed to have an H6 on its way for review also, Steve is waiting to get it so he can take a look at it.

econfly

we're supposed to have an H6 on its way for review also, Steve is waiting to get it so he can take a look at it.

Really looking forward to his review. Assuming it's easy to balance and has decent software/interface, the big question for flying it will be how it handles horizon drift.

tombrown1

Global shutter up to 1080p30!

Really want to like this camera. Global shutter will be great, but my understanding is that you lose a couple stops of dynamic range to get it.

econfly, curious as to why you think GH4 is better - this thing shoots RAW 1080p with a global shutter, right?

Best,

Tom

econfly

Really want to like this camera. Global shutter will be great, but my understanding is that you lose a couple stops of dynamic range to get it.

econfly, curious as to why you think GH4 is better - this thing shoots RAW 1080p with a global shutter, right?

Best,
Tom

Until I get my hands on one I can't say for sure, but the GH4 sensor is larger. Generally that should mean less noise at any ISO level. Obviously the GH4 shoots in 4K (on the ground that's great if you have an Atomos Shogun, for example, but it's less useful in the air with only 100Mbit/sec data rate). So, the real comparison that matters is the GH4's 200Mbit/sec 1080p vs. this new micro. The micro has a better recording format and data rate with a global shutter. The GH4 has the larger sensor and a very very good 1080p file.

For overall use, I would take the GH4, especially if I wanted a nice option for stills or 4K on the ground. For air use, the micro might just be a bit better (a maybe more than a bit better) as long as one is comfortable with great 1080p in a world where there is a lot of talk about 4K. The global shutter is the real wild card, but if that costs dynamic range then it may not be that great.

Can you link a source for the loss in dynamic range with the global shutter?

As usual, the megapixel wars can overshadow what really matters. In my view, 4K gets to be an interesting and really useful option when it has the quality of good 1080p at the pixel level, just in a file with 4x the pixels and data. That means a bitrate of somewhere in the 300 to 400Mbits/sec range or higher. Nobody offers that in a compact size right now, but they will. Just on paper, one option out there was just announced this week: the Canon XC10 with 305Mbits/sec in 4K. But, it's a fixed lens design with a 1" sensor and not really ideal for flying.

Really looking forward to his review. Assuming it's easy to balance and has decent software/interface, the big question for flying it will be how it handles horizon drift.
I didn't see any mention of GPS on the H6 so I am curious how it handles hoizon drift as well.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have a gh2's, a gh3, & gh4. All have been good for video. I also have a BMPC which does give me a great 2k image with a bit extra dynamic range. It's not the easiest to use and has horrible battery life.

From a usability standpoint, I'd take any of the GH series over the BMPC any day. Image wise, they all work for me.

I will probably buy a new BMPC 1080 camera aerial camera and sell the BMPC. Simple reason, radio control of camera built in for fstop, start/stop and a couple of other functions. I think it said you could choose 4 functions... (or more?).. That and they are using an industry standard battery which is on the outside (easy to change), and I already have a lens. I'd be really happy if they know how to turn on the image stabilization on the cheap little zoom lens. Nice back up for problem days.

I'm hoping that this smaller camera and smaller gimbal will work on my 650 quad. We shall know more in a few months.

econfly

The specs read as if you have 4 channels of PWM control and up to 18 channels (i.e., all of them) via S.Bus. The software will be interesting. Somehow the camera must allow mapping channels to functions (e.g., channel 1 -> shutter speed). That will be neat to see.

I really hope the micro delivers. The notion of design from the ground up for remote control via radio is just great, as is composite video out. One thing I wonder about is that expansion port -- probably will need a beefy connecting harness and that may be a problem for any gimbal. Add in HDMI if you want HD downlink and the wiring may be a challenge. We will see.

Edit to add: On the other hand, just dedicating a receiver to the gimbal solves the wire wrapping issues apart from power, which can always be on a separate lipo. So, with the correct gimbal, this is not relevant. I imagine using a DJI Lightbridge to control the gimbal, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

econfly

I didn't see any mention of GPS on the H6 so I am curious how it handles hoizon drift as well.

Is there any gimbal out there apart from FreeFly's MōVI lineup and DJI's flight controller / Zen combination that uses GPS at all (at least in the range we are discussing here)? I'm starting to wonder how much this GPS correction matters, but also thinking to myself that the only really great gimbals I've seen are the M5 and DJI's Zens.

I've asked the CP creater what he thinks of this GPS issue, but no response so far (his product doesn't use GPS, so that may be a factor). I was hoping he would tell us why a well-designed controller doesn't need GPS correction to maintain steady horizon.