Another one bites the dust...

Dewster

Lol. Title is funny. It looked like the party stopped when the multi-copter went down. Who knows what happened. It looked like it was flying pretty well. It's the unexplained drops from the sky that make flying risky. I worry more about that then actually crashing into objects. Prop break, depleted battery, radio interference, kill switch (CSC) who knows.

update: I found out that the craft ended up in a river just out of sight of the camera. It looked like an Octo. I'm not sure what flight system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
That did not look in control from the start. Deffo London I recognise the chimneys. Looks like a SJV1 octo. Some one has to know whose that was. Looking frame by frame it does not even look like the camera is on the crowd. London can be a pain if flying on GPS. It almost looks like it was a WKM being switched to manual coz it aint a flip like a couple of motors went down.

Dave

ChrisViperM

Guy fas flying much too fast....also always a lot of interferences from the mass of equipment used at these kind of parties....thank god he didn't ground it in the middle of the crowd....I saw a lot of kids in the vid.

Chris

ZAxis

This was at the London X Factor auditions and were working with production so must be a legit outfit. They ditched it into the thames to avoid hitting the crowd. The copter floated to the surface but they got a diver in who found the gimbal and camera at the bottom of the drink. Apparently the footage is ok..we will see.
still not great for the reputation.

Str8 Up

Flying close to large crowds is the worst possible application of this equipment. There are so many other uses that are perfect. I don't understand why people still don't get this. I have no sympathy for the loss of this rig due to the poor judgement exercised to take the gig in the first place.

Bowley

Fair point Str8, but realistically no pro outfit is going to turn down a high profile assignment for a major television production company. I would imagine they would ensure the job would have been done as per.... and the pilot did well to ditch into the river. as ZAxis explained. Its difficult to gauge the situation from that video but it maybe wasn't as bad as it looked.

Str8 Up

Not true. We turned down flying at two college football games last year for safety concerns. If pro means making over 6 figures then we would qualify. I very clearly know what is really at risk here for our future.

Bowley

I admire your'e responsible approach and your success Str8 Up.
I maintain that despite the impression the video gives, It MAY well have been a controlled operation gone wrong but handled accordingly.

tstrike

pendejo grande
The truly shocking thing I find is that many people in London think they have talent to audition.
Guess this goes to show, it doesn't matter how many government approved pieces of paper you have in your back pocket, if it's going down, it's going down.

ZAxis

The truly shocking thing I find is that many people in London think they have talent to audition.

ahaha yes that is truly terrifying! There is also a chance that they were carrying a RED aswell..ouch

swisser

Doesn't seem likely that that was more than 150 meters from that crowd which looked like more than 1000 people, as required by article 167 of the ANO.

Breezemont

They ditched it into the thames to avoid hitting the crowd.
snork.gif
That's what I always tell people too.
"I parked it in the tree to avoid hitting the ground!"

Efliernz

Pete
Just to stir the pot :highly_amused: I doubt the "in the Thames" line. At 32 seconds, just after the the copter descends quietly below the crowd line, I see something fly up (much like a broken prop) above the heads.

I suspect it hit something harder than water...

Pete

tstrike

pendejo grande
Just to sir the pot :highly_amused: I doubt the "in the Thames" line. At 32 seconds, just after the the copter descends quietly below the crowd line, I see something fly up (much like a broken prop) above the heads.

I suspect it hit something harder than water...

Pete
I think what you saw was the tiny pilot bailing out.

DennyR

What you guys tend to forget is that flying the alternative full size helicopter camera ships is also not without risk. Since I started flying helicopters in the mid seventies I have known of at least twenty people who have killed themselves and others in low level filming activities. Those figures would have been a lot higher were it not for the height restrictions over built up areas, which in themselves is further restricted by the glide clear rules, flight over a public gathering of people and also the need for twin engine aircraft. It would put you about 3,000 feet away from that crowd. These factors should be considered when discussing the various elements of risk management. UAV's may be less reliable but also far less dangerous.