Wookong Woes

gtranquilla

RadioActive
That brings up a very good point. I came across a similar situation with the Assistant software where a Transmitter switch set up for the Trainer box was actually interfering with the IOC function. The issue was in the transmitter ofcourse and not in the Naza or WKM controller. Specifc controls in the trainer function had to then be disabled to resolve this issue. Best to be more thorough on the bench testing with Assistant then to find out the hard way, i.e., in the air. Just because one has tested cause and effect for each Transmitter switch does not mean that a changed Tx switch is not also affecting something else, possibly on an alternate Naza or WKM Assistant page.

Could there be mixes setup in your radio?

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I have not had this problem with the Aurora 9 on the Naza, but I'm getting the WKM pretty soon so we'll see. You all have me a little concerned. :)

gtranquilla

RadioActive
99% probabilty there will be no issues with your WKM. Just make sure your transmitter is tellind the WKM exactly what it is supposed to be doing and nothing more. WKM assisant enables you to fully prove functionality on the bench (all except for aerial stability which can be fine tuned in the air after loading default settings on the bench). Always good to avoid implementing the seldom used additional functions until later. e.g., add IOC and enhanced fail safe later but make sure basic fail safe works in all modes before flying. I tied my MR to top of step ladder before verifying fail safe with transmitter turned off.

This has been very intresting to read this thread sinve I have exactly THE SAME PROBLEM! I fly homebuilt Y6 with avrotos, APC 1238SF on top and 1260EP on bottom, 4S 5000mah or 8000mah. AUW 4,2kg with canon 550D and a crappy gimbal. I have iOSD (mark I) and 5,8ghz 200mw vtx and a ccd cam for fpv.

I've been totally confused as well as it just doesn't make any sense, that everything else works fine if not perfectly but the RTH or GoHome. Only thing which made any difference to the monkey behaviour of RTH was lowering the atti gain. But even that didn't remove the problem, only made the monkey a bit less monkey.

I also have the yaw problem you (modles) mentioned earlier. You said that that problem disappeared, but how exactly did you get rid of that?

-Mika
Finland

modles

Nerdlinger
Yeah the yaw issue just went without any action or warning, and I only get it now in manual mode but I suspect that is normal. Obviously something did change, but I'm not aware of what it was (sorry, bad engineering). I re calibrated the compass endless times as best i could failing standing bollock naked in the middle of a field.

And yeah the RTH is the strangest problem. Why does physically walking the craft away from its home location and releasing result in smooth expected flight, yet RTH buckaroos? Also I've noticed the last 10 metres or so of decent to land in fail safe is smooth, why just that part??

ive sent mine back to Geoff at quadcopters, I'm hoping he and his team can cast some light and/or confirm to DJI they have some issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uuh. Its -5 degrees out there. I think I'd have to be really desperate to go out there butt naked. But if that's really is what it takes I'd do it without hesitation.

I'll try to get the gps declination correction sorted out this night. That's the last thing left to tune that I can think of.

In the meanwhile let's hope for quick solution from Geoff or anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

xtakos

Has anyone noticed any difference in the roll/pitch gains when flying with and without a camera?
I managed to have a gain of 280 of roll and pitch for my maiden flights without the camera mounted and it was flying perfectly.
Once i mounted the camera (Sony CX730) i had to reduce the gains at about 90-110 for not having oscillations.
My setup is AD-8 HLE , MT2814/770KV, 11x5 graupner, 360 mount and AV200/skyline.
Has anyone noticed a similar problem?

Thanks
Xtakos

gtranquilla

RadioActive
There should be some gain adjustment required BUT..... did you first make the required adjustments to the "z" factors in both of the following?
View attachment 9894

Has anyone noticed any difference in the roll/pitch gains when flying with and without a camera?
I managed to have a gain of 280 of roll and pitch for my maiden flights without the camera mounted and it was flying perfectly.
Once i mounted the camera (Sony CX730) i had to reduce the gains at about 90-110 for not having oscillations.
My setup is AD-8 HLE , MT2814/770KV, 11x5 graupner, 360 mount and AV200/skyline.

Thanks
Xtakos

Attachments

• CoG.JPG
    CoG.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 270

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
This is a very important step. If you did miss that step, that could be part of the problem you are having.
I've been following this thread.
I hope the above advice from Gtranquilla helps.

Multicopter

Thanks
Xtakos

100 gain for an octo is the minimum you can have.Since it was flying normally before mounting the camera there is something wrong with the camera/gimbal.
Is the camera balanced on the gimbal?If so, then have you enabled the skyline during flight?Also check the skyline gains.Too high gains may lead to gimbal oscillations which they will be transferred to the whole frame....

modles

Nerdlinger
An update...

After replacing both the IMU and the PMU, the RTH problem is now solved. Same firmware, same mcu, same hardware setup, just a straight switch of those components and all is as it should be, no more crazy bucking on RTH.

So, for all those that have the same problem, (I have been contacted by a fair few), I strongly suggest you talk to your dealers for help, and they in turn should raise this with DJI, as there is obviously something incompatible with the recent batch of wookongs.

Thanks! How can you (or can you?) tell what batch the units are? Do you have any information on what batch is your FC, PMU and IMU? The old and the new ones.

I contacted my dealer and DJI as well.

-mika

modles

Nerdlinger
Hi Mika

Im afraid I dont have this info, All I know is I bought mine a month or so ago.

I imagine that Geoff will look into this further now he has my IMU and PMU. If you need me to back you up with your dealer with my experience then just PM me.

Ben

Ben,

Good to know there's someone to back me up if needed. I got answer from my dealer Eladio from ElectronicaRC and he was very willing to be in contact with his DJI support contacts. I'll be able to replace the needed parts for warranty. But first I think we must identify how we know should we change the IMU and/or PMU to older or newer of what version or batch.

And got an answer from DJI as well. But that was somewhat confusing:

Hi, Mika, Pls export the configure file from a good WKM then import it into yours. Then reset your WKM and test again. You can contact the dealer to get help. Let me know if it still has the problem. * Best regards,* * DJI Innovations* www.dji-innovations.com * *

I'm not quite sure of the support value of this advice. Where do they assume I get a configuration file from
a "good WKM"? If any will do why didn't they send one? This really doesn't make sence to me.

But ofcourse I'll give it a try when I have the time. So Ben, could you export your settings and PM me the file.

-mika

I have huge problems with the WKM and s800 at the moment i have had two units go down in a few days and i can assure this was not pilot error or setup problems. I am very worried about the stability of all their products and i am not prepared to do any demos to potential clients as it is a bad reflection on my company. I am looking at other options and start all over. All they are worried about is the next order instead of solving the problems at hand. I am not getting any support from china as the are just concerned about sales. I need a reliable system that can fly waypoint without having to worry about it hitting the ground. I can not base my business on a system that is not working the way it should. The can not give me any warranty detail on their product that i can pass on to my clients. I am siting on $30k of dji stock that i am scared to sell because of the stability of the system.

Would love to hear your thoughts

modles

Nerdlinger
Mika, I will export for you tonight. But I really think this is down to the IMU unit.

DJI just want your to confirm your settings are good, to rule out setup error, which is fair enough I guess.

Both crashes was on waypoint mode. auto take off worked perfectly an it would be in a stable hover at around six meters. On the first waypoint it would fly perfectly and all of a sudden would start to circle until it gets bigger and bigger and faster and lower. when you bypass the waypoint mode it is completely unresponsive and it just hits the ground incredibly hard. This happened on 5.20. I have since gone down to 5.16 and it seems stable. I have not flown it on waypoints as i cant afford to break another unit. I still get huge amounts of white flashes for no apparent reason and its driving me insane. Motors and props have been perfectly balanced and there is zero vibration on the system. It is no good to fly with this fear of the system failing in the back of your mind.

modles

Nerdlinger
Interesting. Are you sure its constant white flashes? I got confused my mistaking yellow flashes for white flashes, which was just the battery warning level set too high.

Obviously I'm not negating what you're saying about the crashes, that's not good at all. I just know from my own experience with this unit that nailing down exactly what the point of failure is is very important.

I think 5.18 and 5.20 should be avoided with a barge pole at this point. Do you have an IOSD? can you get any logged data out of that?