Second flight...two problems

JG-rn

Vertical gain is the amount of correction applied to maintain altitude hold, to low and it wont hold, too high and it will overcorrect, overshoot and oscillate
Oh I see. So it will hold altitude better the better its dialed in.

Bowley

Yeah thats right, it should be checked 'come home and landing' and also if you want to be able to select RTH you need to adjust your channel5 (U) so the slider lands in the failsafe position instead of Manual.

JG-rn

Yeah thats right, it should be checked 'come home and landing' and also if you want to be able to select RTH you need to adjust your channel5 (U) so the slider lands in the failsafe position instead of Manual.
Ok, maybe that was the problem. I'll check to see if it works tomorrow. Also set the vertical gain to 160

when I hit my failsafe switch it switches to failsafe in the assitant. However, when I turn the Tx off it doesn't switch into failsafe.

Bowley

Not too sure about that one JG. guess the Rx failsafe is overiding the Naza failsafe, perhaps Naza not recognizing the loss of signal to the Rx, try disabling the TX/Rx faisafe.

JG-rn

Check out 'Naza Gouge' JG, its a good source of info for the Naza
Great link!

So I've checked the go home and land option, increased the vertical gains a bit, and also repositioned and recalibrated the gps. Where tony had it, it was -3.5cm, -3.5cm, -9cm. In the assistant he rounded the 3.5 to 3 on each. I moved it to a spot where they're exactly -4cm, -4cm. I've entered the values into the assitant and I'll take it out for a test flight in a bit.

JG-rn

Well that didn't go well.

Brought the quad up in gps mode, started toilet bowling really bad! Like a 12' toilet bowl circle. Ended up going into the grass about broke a prop. Didn't even get to check the failsafe.

It didn't do this the last couple times I flew it. I adjusted the location of the gps and entered the values in, -4cm, -4cm, -9cm. I'll take a picture of the gps location just so one of you can confirm I have the right measurements.

IMAG0181-1.jpg

IMAG0180-1.jpg

also was looking throw that naza rouge......is the center of gravity from the top of the baseplate to the gps module, or does it start below the baseplate. I have it set to -9

Last edited by a moderator:

JG-rn

Well that didn't go well.

Brought the quad up in gps mode, started toilet bowling really bad! Like a 12' toilet bowl circle. Ended up going into the grass about broke a prop. Didn't even get to check the failsafe.

It didn't do this the last couple times I flew it. I adjusted the location of the gps and entered the values in, -4cm, -4cm, -9cm. I'll take a picture of the gps location just so one of you can confirm I have the right measurements.

IMAG0181-1.jpg

IMAG0180-1.jpg

also was looking throw that naza rouge......is the center of gravity from the top of the baseplate to the gps module, or does it start below the baseplate. I have it set to -9

After I changed the location of the gps and entered the values in the assistant, I calibrated the gps. Clicked the gps/manual switch like 11 times till I got a yellow light. Turned the quad clockwise 360 degree till the light changed, then turned the quad on its right side and turned it 360 again till the light changed.

olof

Osprey
Have you turned your GPS antenna n the right direction for your local magnetic variation?

If GPS misbehaves go to Atti mode, fly for a while then go back and figure out what is up with GPS mode. I usually take off and land in atti mode.

JG-rn

Have you turned your GPS antenna n the right direction for your local magnetic variation?

If GPS misbehaves go to Atti mode, fly for a while then go back and figure out what is up with GPS mode. I usually take off and land in atti mode.

No I haven't. You think that would make the difference? I think in NJ it said to turn it like 10 degrees to the left

edit: it says magnetic declination: -12 degrees 16' west

so turn 12 degrees left? What should I use, a protractor?

olof

Osprey
Turn it left about 12 degrees.

Yes it will help.

With my 450 and my 550, it takes a while until GPS settles down, I have a lot of trees where I take off so the reception is not the best here. Often I get a bit of TBing in the begining of the flight, but once I have been up for a while and I get just a steady green blink it stays within 2-3 ft even 4' above the ground.

JG-rn

Yes it will help.

With my 450 and my 550, it takes a while until GPS settles down, I have a lot of trees where I take off so the reception is not the best here. Often I get a bit of TBing in the begining of the flight, but once I have been up for a while and I get just a steady green blink it stays within 2-3 ft even 4' above the ground.

Ok, I will do that. Man this thing was doing these big 10 feet circles in the air then it went and flipped into he grass.

JG-rn

Yes it will help.

Are you using the mast with your GPS and what z value are you using? My gps is 9cm tall, however all the videos I watch they all enter in -10 and then reading the naza gouge it sAys the center if gravity starts below the top plate and they have like a -12.5 value.

tstrike

pendejo grande
I think the 10 cm is from center of gps pod to the top of the naza housing which on the dji frames (disco included) it's about 1 cm from the bottom of the top of the frame (if that makes sense)...at least that's how I did mine but I didn't use the mast.

olof

Osprey
Good luck tomorrow testing. My Z is set to -9cm on both the 450 and 550. I think it is supposed to be to the CG in other words if you have a lot of low weight it would be lower. I have tried various settings but on my helis it does not seem to make any difference. They are about equally stable even though the 550 with gimble and cam is probably a few cm lower CG.

Here is a video of my F450 flight today, it was all done in Atti mode except for when I show the TX, it held GPS pretty good there for a while:

Lousy weather here. Low clouds but it is warm. The mist is the snow we should be skiing on.

This is raw footage shot with a GoProHero2 mounted under an F450 with dampeners from McMaster Carr No gimbal, I use the medium lens setting, I don't like the wide distorted view, I know you can fix it in post. I use an iPhone to control the GoPro, and it does give you a 3-4 second lagged FPV view. My father 84 was watching the iPhone and got dizzy.

The 450 is very responsive, this was pretty close quarters, definitely an IFR day here. Easy to loose sight and orientation of the heli in the mist.

JG-rn

I think the 10 cm is from center of gps pod to the top of the naza housing which on the dji frames (disco included) it's about 1 cm from the bottom of the top of the frame (if that makes sense)...at least that's how I did mine but I didn't use the mast.
Just checked. The top of the naza is 2cm below the top plate. The distance between the top plate and the center of the gps puck is 9cm. This mean I set z at -11? Maybe I'll just do -10 as a happy medium