Second flight...two problems

JG-rn

Good luck tomorrow testing. My Z is set to -9cm on both the 450 and 550. I think it is supposed to be to the CG in other words if you have a lot of low weight it would be lower. I have tried various settings but on my helis it does not seem to make any difference. They are about equally stable even though the 550 with gimble and cam is probably a few cm lower CG.

Here is a video of my F450 flight today, it was all done in Atti mode except for when I show the TX, it held GPS pretty good there for a while:

Lousy weather here. Low clouds but it is warm. The mist is the snow we should be skiing on.

This is raw footage shot with a GoProHero2 mounted under an F450 with dampeners from McMaster Carr No gimbal, I use the medium lens setting, I don't like the wide distorted view, I know you can fix it in post. I use an iPhone to control the GoPro, and it does give you a 3-4 second lagged FPV view. My father 84 was watching the iPhone and got dizzy.

The 450 is very responsive, this was pretty close quarters, definitely an IFR day here. Easy to loose sight and orientation of the heli in the mist.

Thanks. I need a new prop so earliest ill be able to test is probably Wednesday or Thursday.

I don't see the video?

Last edited by a moderator:

fredor

Tony pm'd me back said the prop wash may be making the quad climb a little at low altitude.
Sound right?

waiting to hear back bout the failsafe.

Another thing. I see everyone sets the z value for gps mounting to -10. Mine is set to -9. I measured it and its 9cm above the baseplate. Is -9 the correct value or should I put in -10?

The Z value is the centre of gravity if the Quad was hanging on its side which I estimate to be a bit below the top plate I have mine at -10 that is with the battery on top

JG-rn

Does this look to be at about -12 degrees? Tried to use a protractor but its not easy to line up.

IMAG0183-2.jpg

IMAG0184-2.jpg

JG-rn

I adjusted the gps 12 degrees to the left and its not toilet bowling any more. It seems to hold it place well when at 50% throttle, sometimes it raises and then holds it position there. Seems like it may have been drifting a little when going forward in gps mode, it was windy so it was hard to tell for sure.

Failsafe switch now works since I checked the go home and land in the naza assistant. When I turn the Tx off though, it doesn't activate the failsafe. I've contacted tony again about this issue. Told him this should have been tested and working before he sent it to me and asked him to advise me how to get it to work.

Last edited by a moderator:

JG-rn

Well the issue with the quad rising at 50% throttle in gps mode may be solved. Only had trimmed the throttle all the way down. What should have been 0 was reading -12.5%. I thought that the percent throttle was accurate after it went positive but after looking at the throttle in the assistant I saw that it was reading off by 12.5% throughout the throttle range. When I was at 50% indicated by the display, I was actually at about 62% actual throttle.

I just trimmed it correctly and recalibrated the sticks in the assistant. Will see tomorrow ow she flies

JG-rn

Flies perfect now since I trimmed the throttle in the middle and recalibrated the sticks. Holds height without climbing and is very steady. Both failsafes work now too.