1 watt high power LED's for night/day orientation.

after doing some research i bought 4x 1 watt LED's 2 red and 2 white and mounted them directly under the arms i wanted something simpler and cleaner that would bright enough for day. i came up with these. each LED runs on about 3.2 volts so it works with 3s battery i'm testing differant resistors i'm using a 5 w/5 ohm one now. i know that they will dim a little but that's ok because they are insanly bright. let me know what you think. also i recently took a huge 1 1/2" diameter piece of shrink tubing to my NAZA-m to deal with the sunlight problem and it resolved the problem.

best,
bobby

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 450

cademan

Did u get these online? They look really good.

What is the sun problem you fixed?

Sent from my fishing boat.

Benchmark

I use the same lights myself I can highly recommend them they are so bright that you can even see them in the daytime .Here is the link to where I bought mine

1W LED Super Bright Red Light LED for Multi Rotor ... - eBay
www.ebay.com/.../1W-LED...LED...quadcopter...-/1809... - United States
1W LED Super Bright RED Light LED for Multi rotor quadcopter orientation in | eBay.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Wow, that is insanely bright.. If you look at the bottom of the page for all electronics, you will see a driver for the LED.

RobertsUp

Thanks Benchmark. I just ordered that unit.

I had imagined setting up navigation lights on my quad just as they exist on boats and airplanes. Green on the left and Red on the right. The Dji kits come with different colored arms and one color is supposed to signal which side is the front. That's fine as far as it goes but when the craft is far away that loses importance in LOS flying. A super bright LED mounted on the front makes sense and could be seen from further away. Now I can proceed and build my 450 with black arms all around. The black arms are said to be stronger than the red or the white arms.

Rob

JG-rn

I bought four 1w mini stars and I don't know how people run these on their quads. They got HOT in a few seconds...like melt plastic hot.

RobertsUp

Make sure there's a 100 ohm resister on the positive lead. The described unit seems to come with one already installed. My imagined configuration has it mounted away from the motors. Between the two front arms. Like those craft with the yellow ping pong ball thingys. I'll have to add longer wires than those in the illlustration.

Your experience says they get hot. It's interesting. LED's are supposed to be cool and less power consuming. The reason why they're replacing incandescant lamps. A 100 watt incandescant light bulb seems like it would be hot enough to melt plastic. A 1 watt LED can get that hot? I don't know. Your experience indicates they can.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobertsUp

Looks good. I'm not committed to that light that benchmark mentioned. I would still rather have a green light on the left and a red on the right. They just have to be daytime bright.

JG-rn

Make sure there's a 100 ohm resister on the positive lead. The described unit seems to come with one already installed. My imagined configuration has it mounted away from the motors. Between the two front arms. Like those craft with the yellow ping pong ball thingys. I'll have to add longer wires than those in the illlustration.

Your experience says they get hot. It's interesting. LED's are supposed to be cool and less power consuming. The reason why they're replacing incandescant lamps. A 100 watt incandescant light bulb seems like it would be hot enough to melt plastic. A 1 watt LED can get that hot? I don't know. Your experience indicates they can.

Mine didnt have a resistor.

I wired them up just to test and ran one on a 9v battery. Within seconds it was too hot to touch. The heatsink would cause burns. I couldn't imagine running it on a 3s or 4s battery. I was afraid my quad would catch on fire.