Receiver Battery pack size?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Good point, i always assumed it would have worked at full voltage, it seems odd, because it works on up to a 14s battery, so how can it measure all the voltages if its coming though a regulator first?

There is no regulator before the graupner air module. The air module measures the current draw and voltage raw over GND, it only has this thin plus cable connection to power itsself. It takes the full voltage in and regulates it down to pwoer itself and i suspect the rx afterwards. If in any case the safery switch approach is the same you will let the safety switch and its remote power eachother but only connect the singal cable from the remote switch to the rx.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
There's one VERY good reason to use a separate battery for the Rx: Power up your flight controller, program it, make sure everything is ready to go and carry it out to the launch zone knowing that there is NO WAY the motors can start unexpectedly until you plug in the main batteries. Even if the FC for some reason is outputting a throttle signal when you plug the batts in, they won't arm and spin up the props.

I use a 2S 370mAh battery, tiny little thing. It powers the APM for... something like an hour! I use the same one on my 450 helicopter, it also powers the HV servos, and I can just get 4 main battery flights out of it before it gets tight.

For me it's a no-brainer. <1 oz of weight for the benefit of all that safety?

On my bigger helis, I'm using a 2S 1700 LiFe battery for the APM and servos. The other benefit here, if the main batteries explode, or the ESC catches fire... I should still be able to auto-rotate down.

I dont know what I was thinking asking if I could place the Air Module and therefor the rx after the switch lol. Must have been a bit tired when I was thinking about that.

R-Lefebvre: The way it will be wired with the Air Module and rx before the switch, Is effectively similar to running a separate battery, rx will have Power first. Im unsure if this will then send power through to the YS-X6 or not. I don't think it will because the YS has a specific power plug.

Efliernz

Pete
I would be concerned to have the same battery (or ubec) powering the FC and HV servos. If a servo jams, it will suck the power / low-volt away from the FC.

Pete

Hi Pete, The multirotor and gimbal power supplies are independent of each other. So there are no servos running of this circuit.

Efliernz

Pete
Cool... just sharing concerns ;) I lost a machine in the early days due to a binding servo mechanism + poor quality ubec.

As I'm (now) setup for solo flying & tilt/shutter, I have only one rx fitted now. I'm allowed to forget that you are using a separate gimbal rx!

Pete

Haha yes your are, im glad you brought it up. It seems like even though ive been planning this build for over a year; there are still issues at every step of the way due to lack of understanding how all these systems interact.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I would be concerned to have the same battery (or ubec) powering the FC and HV servos. If a servo jams, it will suck the power / low-volt away from the FC.

Pete

Yeah... that's a possibility. I'm not sure if a stalled servo would drop the pack voltage enough? The other factor I think is, if a swashplate servo stalls out, the heli is basically guaranteed to crash anyway. So it doesn't really matter anymore. The tail servo, you might survive.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Could you not simply wire things this way? This would mean that when you plug the main batteries in, the WKM would power up immediately (via its BEC) as would the RX. Then all it would take is for you to flick your remote switch and the emcotec would then allow power to flow to the ESCsView attachment 9534

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 250